Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello and Welcome to SQTalk - Introduce yourself here!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey all,

It's becoming cliche, but I too have been lurking around for awhile now, most recently in regards to my upcoming (first!) trip to Asia. I've found these boards to be full of valuable information, and I hope I can contribute in some way!

Comment

• OK, I'm been lurking for a while as well, mainly to gather information, but I've made a couple of posts and I may as well delurk. I'm in BHX, the major-ish UK airport SQ doesn't even code-share to - which is a bit of a PITA.

I started off many moons ago flying mainly AF and the old SR around Europe in J at the behest of my multi-national masters. I hadn't got a clue about frequent flyer schemes etc then. I then decided it was too much and ended up in a different job.

However, I didn't like that one and got another job with an engineering company and ended up flying whY and J on AA and BA to the USA every few weeks; but the then partner didn't like it and I resigned (he still left me).

So I ended up working in academic administration - no travel outside the UK, until I got a promotion and responsibility for visiting partner institutions. So i spend some time trolling around MittelEuropa each year in the lowest cost whY I can find (with the odd bit of crafty LX S/H J).

I was a pretty loyal OneWorld flyer until BA first lots half their routes from BHX, then went low-cost and then withdrew completely. Since then, I've embraced M&M with a mild loathing and spend far too much time in the A26 slum (sorry Schengen Business Lounge).

I discovered SQ two years ago when visiting my relatives in Australia on a combined LH/SQ ticket and sort of fell a little in love, I discovered Singapore a few trips before that and love the place.

Anyway, as LH this year only seem to be offering either LH/QF trips or bizarre routings via PVG and China Southern. I decided to go the whole hog and actually go to the dreaded Heathrow and fly SQ (as a Brummie, it is against my religion to fly from MAN).

However, I managed to go into a travel agents to see if there were any bizarre bargains around and ended up with this years Christmas trip being on SQ out in Suites (LHR-SIN-MEL) and back in J (BNE-SIN, SIN stopover, SIN-LHR).

So I thought I'd join properly to glean every iota of information on Suites, I'm also trying to work out if joining KF might leverage me a *G card for a year so I can upgrade from the FTL slum at FRA to the SEN slum at FRA.

Comment

• Originally posted by iainbhx View Post
        However, I managed to go into a travel agents to see if there were any bizarre bargains around and ended up with this years Christmas trip being on SQ out in Suites (LHR-SIN-MEL) and back in J (BNE-SIN, SIN stopover, SIN-LHR).

So I thought I'd join properly to glean every iota of information on Suites, I'm also trying to work out if joining KF might leverage me a *G card for a year so I can upgrade from the FTL slum at FRA to the SEN slum at FRA.
        Welcome to SQTalk, this is a little OT for here so will make it quick. Check out the last page http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245 of this thread and also http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8708 this will give you some information on the suites.

How much was this bargain flight? If its cheap enough I might be joining you.

Comment

• hello all

i am new here. please be kind to me and give me some slack for being a newbie around these boards.

and what the heck does pita mean?

cheers
          Home is where your heart is.

Comment

• Originally posted by flo View Post
            hello all

i am new here. please be kind to me and give me some slack for being a newbie around these boards.

and what the heck does pita mean?

cheers
            in that case, welcome flo pita means please improve the airline.

Comment

• Hey all! Max here, I joined 3 years ago and happened to chance upon this thread I admit i didnt know it existed :X (Apologies)
              I am a Japanese but now residing in Singapore hoping to go back there for good in about 3 years. I love every single thing about civil aviation and am a big fan of SQ Been flying them ever since i was born! TBH i've only flew MH,JL,NH & SQ
              Been loving every single thing about SQ before all the cost cuttings started But now... not so much in love but will never betray them.( i know that they have to do it to stay profitable , but not to the extreme!) I still try to fly them as often as i can.
              I fly back to Japan every year coupled with some other destinations in tow as well as trying to fly to more countries and trying out more airlines and planes that are gonna be put out of service soon

Comment

• Hello everyone! Here's my first post since I just joined last night.

How did I get here?
                I was watching a YouTube video about the Singapore Airlines safety video and the SQTalk link was there. I've been visiting the forums as a guest for the past couple of days and read some very interesting discussions! Since I am a crazy SQ fan, it is obvious that I should join SQTalk!

About me:
                My username is my full name but just call me Aulia. I am an Indonesian guy (yes, Aulia is both a guy and a girl name in Indonesia, so it's important I specify my gender) who has lived in the US for about ten years. I currently reside in Egypt and in just one week, I will be moving to North Dakota, USA to begin my flight training. My ultimate dream is to become an airline pilot for SIA, but seeing that I am an Indonesian citizen, it may be quite tough to achieve my dream... I am just 18 yrs old so please be nice to me

My YouTube page is http://www.youtube.com/auliaharun. Feel free to stop by and always remember, you are NOT obligated to rate, comment, or subscribe. I simply provided the link above to share my videos. Content varies from "trip report-like" videos as well as flight simulator stuff. Everything there is SQ/commercial aviation related.

Interests/Hobbies:

Singapore Airlines
                I first fell in love with Singapore Airlines in 2003 when my dad had to go to Kuala Lumpur for business. He flew SIA and sent me a postcard. On the postcard was an image of a beautiful SQ Girl and since then, I began to learn more about the airline. My first flight with SIA took place just last year. SQ493 CAI - DXB - SIN. Wow. Inflight service, cabin crew hospitality, and comfort was amazing beyond belief. Until now, I have never tried SQ's new cabin interior on the A388, B77W, A345, or A333. However, I will always stick with SIA because 51% of the reason is the SQ Girl and everything associated with it--from the award winning hospitality to it's wonderful smile The other 49% comes from the inflight service, catering (food is VERY good), and modern fleet.

Commercial Aviation/Flight Simulation
                I can't remember when I start to love commercial aviation, but it's been with me for a long time. Now I'm crazy about it. I would go around naming airports by their ICAO codes and identify airplane types by examining the flight deck or any part of the aircraft. As with flight simulation, I am currently a F/O with Singapore Airlines Virtual and have accumulated close to 3000 virtual flight hours. Unfortunately, the virtual airline got hacked and I fear my virtual pilot record is gone As far as Trip Reports... I mainly fly in Y, so don't expect anything from F or J (I haven't engaged myself to any FFP yet..)

DSLR Photography
                I use a Nikon D90 and several lenses. You might assume I'm a plane-spotter.. I guess I am kind of. But the problem is I don't have access to a spotter-friendly airport so the only time I do get to go plane-spotting is when I go to Indonesian airports that do not have aerobridges!

I hope I did not write too much about myself, and I look forward for a great time at SQTalk!
                Last edited by Aulia Harun; 14 August 2010, 12:26 AM. Reason: Typo: accidentally double typing a preposition.
                Such a gentle way about you / All around the world / Wouldn't go away without you / Singapore Girl, you're a great way to fly

Comment

• Originally posted by Aulia Harun View Post
                  DSLR Photography
                  I use a Nikon D90 and several lenses. You might assume I'm a plane-spotter.. I guess I am kind of.
                  Aulia, first of all welcome to SQTalk!

plane-spotter is so last decade... we 'plane' spotters prefer the term 'aero-sexuals', it makes us look cooler

Comment

• Aulia Harun, it's a pleasure to have you join us. Welcome to SQTalk...

Comment

• Welcome to SQTalk Aulia Harun. Your very first post and its in the welcome to SQTalk thread, don`t see that happen often!

Originally posted by Gunnar Smithsen View Post
                      Auliaplane-spotter is so last decade... we 'plane' spotters prefer the term 'aero-sexuals', it makes us look cooler
                      I thought aero-sexuals was the new name for the mile high club.

Nothing can make a plane spotter cool. We do have plane collectors around my way, which is cool. (real planes, up to B747)
                      Last edited by Singapore Sling; 14 August 2010, 05:35 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Singapore Sling View Post

Nothing can make a plane spotter cool. We do had plane collectors around my way, which is cool. (real planes, up to B747)
                        It was a name bestowed upon us by the AFP/APS here in Sydney, it seemingly stuck and is much cooler than train spotting

Comment

• Originally posted by Gunnar Smithsen View Post
                          Aulia, first of all welcome to SQTalk!

plane-spotter is so last decade... we 'plane' spotters prefer the term 'aero-sexuals', it makes us look cooler
                          Thanks Gunnar Smithsen! Hmm.. "aero-sexuals" huh? That's definitely new to me

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                          Aulia Harun, it's a pleasure to have you join us. Welcome to SQTalk...
                          Thank you Kyo

Originally posted by Singapore Sling View Post
                          Welcome to SQTalk Aulia Harun. Your very first post and its in the welcome to SQTalk thread, don`t see that happen often!

Nothing can make a plane spotter cool. We do have plane collectors around my way, which is cool. (real planes, up to B747)
                          Thank you Singapore Sling! It's been years since the last time I was on any kind of forum, but it's natural for me to introduce myself first! Yeah, I thought aero-sexuals would be more associated to the mile-high club, but I guess it can be interpreted both ways!
                          Such a gentle way about you / All around the world / Wouldn't go away without you / Singapore Girl, you're a great way to fly

Comment

• Hi All! I can't believe I've only just stumbled across this forum. I've been flying SQ regularly (10x per year) since 2001, been TPPS since 2002 and had no idea it existed! I actually found Flyertalkfirst and then wondered whether there was a dedicated SQ forum, searched and voila! I'm most often spotted on SQ286/285 in J (preferably in rows 11 or 12), but also around Asia - MNL, KUL, BKK mostly. Look forward to chipping in from time to time!
                            Last edited by Wan1dap; 16 September 2010, 02:51 PM.

Comment

• Welcome Wan1dap, great to have you here

Comment

• Wan1dap, welcome aboard SQTalk!

Comment

Working...
                                X