Changes to PPS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tfung View Post
    what country are you based in? I have heard that SQ has raised its published fares on 1 Apr in some countries... so if your discount is based on %, the total price might still be higher...
    Am based in Singapore. I don't know the exact percentage but when i compare the amount I paid for my fare prior to 1 Apr and those being quoted in the letter it seems lower. The discount is only for the base fare and does not include the fuel surcharges.

Comment

• Originally posted by YK@HKG View Post

We value all our customers and, whenever possible, will try our best to meet their needs............... The PPS Club is intended to recognise the airline's most valuable premium customers with appropriate benefits...... Qualifying members will benefit directly through greater exclusivity of the PPS Club, while all members and our many other frequent flyers will continue to have access to our award-winning frequent flyer programme, KrisFlyer.

Lim Wee Kok

Vice-President, Loyalty Marketing

Singapore Airlines
      Staggering. I can't make my mind up whether their arrogance is now all consuming and they really couldn't care less as the planes are full, or some at SQ are living in a parallel universe to the rest of us.

I agree with jjpb3, that the more they pedal the 'greater exclusivity' line, the sillier it becomes.

I can assure him that most QPP's who do actually continue to qualify after the changes kick in will not feel like they belong to a programme of 'greater exclusivty, but instead will be mightily p*ssed off that they are booted out of the F lounge at Changi and can no longer use outstation SKL's if when flying other airlines.

Comment

• Ooh got a call from a nice chap at SQ MEL today in response to my letter to Today - presumably the area manager for Victoria and Tasmania. First time I got to speak to a Singaporean at SQ MEL - for a while I thought they're all Aussie!

He spent the first 5 mins regurgitating everything their PR machine has put out so far.

I wasn't too confrontational as I could see he was trying to be nice. But I did challenge his assertion that culling benefits was completely in line with raising the qualification threshold. His response was that it will all cancel out by 'more exclusivity', 'nice new lounges' and 'luxury' on the A380. And that it was definitely not about cost-cutting.

Hmmm, did someone mention 'sustainable'?

We then engaged in an informal chat, which ended with a 'hope to welcome you back onboard soon.'

They act fast.

Think of what their reaction might be if thousands of you QPPs and TPPs all start writing furious letters to the media.
        Last edited by KeithMEL; 5 April 2007, 02:17 PM. Reason: grammar
        All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

• A very well written letter, Keith! If you want the actual printed copy, let me know

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
          Ooh got a call from a nice chap at SQ MEL today in response to my letter to Today
          How did he manage to get your number? Did he ask Today?

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ168 View Post
            How did he manage to get your number? Did he ask Today?
            Contact details from my past reservations which they still have. Either that or from my Krisflyer profile. Even knows I'm LH SEN.
            All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

• Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post

His response was that it will all cancel out by 'more exclusivity', 'nice new lounges' and 'luxury' on the A380. And that it was definitely not about cost-cutting.
              Oh yeah ?. .

What's the 'luxury' on the A380 got to do with this ?. Being PPS is not going to get you any advantanges on that thing. We know what the J & Y is like and I think it's nailed on that prices to travel in F on it will be more than sitting in a Skysuite, enhanced or otherwise.

Interesting that there is now mention of 'nice new lounges'. Would this be the new downgraded lounge on the left that everyone will have to use from September, and that anyone flying in Raffles can use anyway regardless of whether they are PPS or not ?.

This hasn't been mentioned yet so methinks the PR people - who have handled this terribly - are reacting to all the negative feedback by actually trying to sell it now.

Comment

• My theory and prediction:

The executive who dreamt this up has got his or her fingers crossed for either 1) some internal award for excellence in cost cutting or achievement - if it succeeds. 2) a handsome payout to go out the door for messing up if it fails, since the grand poohbahs Okayed it at board level.

QED really. I'd have done the same thing, 45,000 angry flyers aside.

Not long after, another bright chap/lass will come along with the next bright idea to drag the now ailing golden goose out of the doldrums and will boldly take it through a period of recovery and profit. By which time, you'll see PPS club looking a little bit like the PPS of yore. Said exec then cashes in on a huge bonus for helping the company back to its former glory. Aforementioned exec then starts up consulting company and makes gajillions more for being hero of the hour.

The now reinvigorated golden goose has some new blood, new MBAs and Smartalec all-around young turks who are out for glory (and bucks)........said Know-it-alls (who probably were still running around in their diapers the fateful day in 2007, and as such, conveniently have no reference point) - begin step 1 again..............

Meanwhile, an 83 year old SQflyergirl will be on her rocking chair fiddling around with her dentures.......writing on her blog from a 10 gajillion bazillion terabit per second connection saying : I told you so!

Comment

• Switching to Emirates

I've been on Emirates only once...for a business trip to Cyprus. Emirates leave Changi at such an unearthly hour (0300hr) that I am surprise you are thinking of using it for Europe run !! For me, even if SQ does not issue any FF miles, I will still use it for direct Europe connection from Singapore.

Secondly, Dubai airport is quite crappy (compared to Changi, and I did not have status with Emirate then, to use their lounge).

cheers
                  Acey

Originally posted by LionCity View Post
                  True...I think SQ will still win in the end and they could disregard our loyalty with impunity as long as it fits their commercial interest. Doubt they will budge. For me doing my own business I could make my own decisions i.e. I will switch to CX on North Asia run and Emirates on the Europe run. I don't get huge corporation discounts. I have a final long haul SQ run but it is more to let the TA make some money for their hard work in organizing my difficult flights.

Comment

• Thanks Acey for info on Emirates and honestly does not know the Dubai airport is crappy. But it is still two thousand dollars cheaper for some inconveniences! I could use the two thousand for many other nice things. I am not a corporate guy so money is my own kitty and not from a large public listed corporation . Cheers!

Comment

• Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                      My theory and prediction:

The executive who dreamt this up has got his or her fingers crossed for either 1) some internal award for excellence in cost cutting or achievement - if it succeeds. 2) a handsome payout to go out the door for messing up if it fails, since the grand poohbahs Okayed it at board level.

Meanwhile, an 83 year old SQflyergirl will be on her rocking chair fiddling around with her dentures.......writing on her blog from a 10 gajillion bazillion terabit per second connection saying : I told you so!
                      And that 83 year old SQflyergirl will be just as sharp as she is today...

Nice assessment. I would have loved to be a fly in the wall when the corporate mothership tried selling this latest scheme to field offices around the global. Imagine the reaction from Indonesia, Bangkok and other locations where ticket prices are lower. Customer care and sales staff in these locations must know their customer base is going to be hit hard - and their loyal customers furious...

It is as you hint, a calculated gamble. SQ knows that nearly half of its PPS members are Singapore based and would face high switching costs to take their business elsewhere. Additionally SQ knows it offers the best service out there, and it can command a premium for doing so. So overall SQ has done its math and figures that it can lose a good number of members without it hitting the bottom line too much as money is saved by not having to pander to low rent FF's and charging more for 77W and 380 premium services.

I've been observing (and flying) SQ for more than 14 years now. The one thing i've noted is SQ will and in fact has changed tack where market pressures demand. There is a possibility that the current program may be modified later - once an audit has been done to assess the impact of it.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                        Surely in 60 years time we'd all be flying around in spaceships (or even teleporters ) and not planes ?

Comment

• Originally posted by jhm View Post
                          Surely in 60 years time we'd all be flying around in spaceships (or even teleporters ) and not planes ?
                          If we're doing that, i wouldn't need dentures either.... I'd be on my 5th set of 32 Genetically engineered teeth!

Comment

• Yeah I was surprised abt Dubai Airport as well, when I went there for the first time last year. Extremely overcrowded - cant even find a place to sit down (if you have lounge access, great, if not, tough !). Toilets were overcrowded too, by the way !!
                            But yes, Emirates ticket prices are much cheaper than SQ !!

Originally posted by LionCity View Post
                            Thanks Acey for info on Emirates and honestly does not know the Dubai airport is crappy. But it is still two thousand dollars cheaper for some inconveniences! I could use the two thousand for many other nice things. I am not a corporate guy so money is my own kitty and not from a large public listed corporation . Cheers!

Comment

• Originally posted by acey View Post
                              Yeah I was surprised abt Dubai Airport as well, when I went there for the first time last year. Extremely overcrowded - cant even find a place to sit down (if you have lounge access, great, if not, tough !). Toilets were overcrowded too, by the way !!
                              But yes, Emirates ticket prices are much cheaper than SQ !!
                              Thanks for the head up...I will avoid Y class if I am transiting in Dubai. The 3 am can also be challenging particularly you don't have a through flight but with 7 hours on either side of the two legs.

Comment

• Diners Club card = First Class lounge in Dubai

Originally posted by acey View Post
                                Secondly, Dubai airport is quite crappy (compared to Changi, and I did not have status with Emirate then, to use their lounge).

cheers
                                Acey
                                I would highly recommend you get a Diners Club card if you go through Dubai airport a lot!!
                                It is fantastic, is a first class lounge and you could catch some shut eye here upstairs + plenty of food and drink . I had one of the best dinners here on the way back from Ist, washed down with 4 different types of South African red

http://www.dinersclub.com/en/DCIHome...equestid=19384

Dubai International Airport -- Dubai, United Arab Emirates

Lounge Name: Dubai Civil Aviation First Class Lounge
                                Lounge Location:Between gate 12 and 14 - coming from airport duty-free, go to the left, coming from arrivals go to the right.
                                Telephone: 04-2064060
                                Hours Open: 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
                                Languages Spoken: English and Arabic
                                Entry Conditions: Conditions of entry to any Diners Club Airport Lounge may change from time to time, subject to policies and procedures imposed by airport security.
                                Amenities Offered: Telephone within UAE, magazines, satellite TV channels, food and beverages. For a fee: fax, internet, and bedrooms.
                                Fees: Diners Club Cardmembers free. Additional guest AED 45.00; AED 22.5 for children under 12 years.

Comment

Working...
                                X