No announcement yet.

SFO-SIN-MEL - Krisflyer Silver Q

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It will be complicated and I hope you don't have to go through it.

My experience is with UA (F) from SFO connecting to SQ (F saver) at LAX. UA cancelled the flight and automatically rebooked us on Y since F award was not available. We missed the SQ (F) flight and UA did not want to do anything about the missed SQ connecyion claiming that their duty was only to bring us from SFO-LAX period. They also claimed that they could not touch the ticket nor do anything with it since it was not issued by them.

So we had to deal with KF. But they could not find F award on UA at the last minute. I would have accepted the Y seat to connect with SQ's next day flight in 747 F which KF could find, but my friend was insistent to make SQ put us on the direct SFO-SIN 77W flight on the new F class seat. It took us hours on the phone with KF Singapore, SQ ticketing in Singapore, and the SFO airport manager to put us on SFO-SIN flight on the basis that they had no right to downgrade us to Y between SFO-LAX in order to connect with the 747 flight.

We were then put on the 77W flight in F direct to SIN, but only after 4 hours of argument, and 900 dollars worth of roaming charges. But we claimed all back through insurance.

It's a long story. My point is : you have to deal with the issuing carrier rather than the operating carrier for changes / rebooking of the original itinerary. It will be complicated as each carrier will try to push responsibility to the other.

Comment

WOW !

Goshhh .. I was searching the flight history of AC501 and saw that once in a while there's mechanical problem during mid-air and have got to do emergency landing or return back to YYZ.

Guess I gonna take the risk though ... There's no SQ Office in YYZ/ORD and I'm sure it's gonna be hard to call back to Krisflyer.

Is there any travel insurance that I can buy?

I saw Chartis but must depart from Singapore ...

Please advise on insurance and if the station manager ever put me in Y class - I got the absolute right to demand J class and most probably ask him to call SQ himself to help me rebook right ?

Since it's the airline fault and they have the responsibility to rebook me for all my flight as it's because of them that I miss my remaining sectors (:

Really hoping to get SQ flight from HND - SIN .. currently saver is waitlist while standard/full is available .. guess I gonna pray hard.

One good thing about ANA is that I can choose the seats now - even on award tix !

Comment

Don't worry so much. The chances of such things happening are not high.

In case of any problems along the way, KF is the one to call and so far they have been accommodating. I had another case where I had to omit one sector as I was missing the connection due to snowstorm. KF reissued in minutes with no questions asked.

But if you are insisting on a lot more than what you are entitled to, like my accommodation on 77W F when on saver award, then you have to fight for it.

Just relax. I can't suggest what Canadian-based insurance to buy though. I am not from there and I am not familiar. You have to read the fine print and see what they cover in case if flight delays, diversions, cancellations, and missed connections.

Comment

Thank you very much for your reply , SQueeze!

I was searching on JFK-SIN on the infamous SQ25 and happen to see the one and very last seat for Biz Saver! Went to call KF right away... ;D

Still in the midst of rebooking!

Comment

Oh wells ..

Rebook again and I guess the call centre gonna be pissed w this customer here..

Flying from

SFO-ICN
            ICN-PVG
            PVG-SIN
            SIN-MEL

You see ... I've got a United Airlines tix which is NON-REFUNDABLE and I am desperately wanting to use this tix since it's a 'useless' tix w all my $ inside.

I'm planning to fly from YYZ-SFO via UA. I can fly from Morning (7-9.36am) and catch my Oz flight at 1.10pm will it be a better choice then flying a day earlier to the airport?

I fly at night from YYZ and reaching SFO at around 1am and wait till 1.10pm the next day - just to be 'safe' from any delays and cancellation of flights.

What do you guys think?

I've a confirm booking from BOS-JFK-SIN-MEL (US Airways/infamous SQ25) I can change the united tix to BOS then take BOS-JFK via the US Airways (under star alliance redemption booking)

I'm just worried about connection time in the usa and missing it thru.

Flying to SFO seems to be a better choice but flying on that day morning or the night before?

If night before - I gonna sleep in the airport and I can't go inside terminal (only outside) because I'm underage to book a hotel and I can't checkin yet ...

***Also reading at sleepinginairport.net - there's reviews about crazies junkies lurking at the airport but not many .. I can't go into the sterile zone as I got BP yet.

***There's no seat for YYZ-LGA/EWR on July 4 .... Oh wells .. July 4 is scary - terrorist might take revenge for the killing of Osama and what if they're targeting the airport?
            Last edited by cocaman; 14 June 2011, 11:54 PM.

Comment

Why would you want to pick PVG route over SQ25. I would pick SQ25 over anything else anytime. What is the plane used between SFO-ICN? If it is UA , then it is a no-brainer you should go on SQ25. If it is OZ, well then up to you. I have not flown with them so I don't know what their J class is like. But I doubt it will be any better than SQ's 747 J. I don't know what you think of their new Biz stagger-type (quadra-smartium) should they fly this type on your itinerary, but just by looking at the pics, i think they feel crammed, and claustrophobic. They look to me like these seats give more space to storage than the actual seating. Anyway, someone who has flown on it will be able to shed better light on biz stagger type a la EK, LX, NH, etc.

The SQ25 route is also 95% on SQ and it is also of very good value since *A rates to Australia are cheaper than SQ's own rates (76.5K on SQ). So you are getting a deal here.

Should you still want to go via SFO, read my post above about missed UA same-day connection (and my UA flight was part of the intercontinental ticket). In your case, it will be on separate tickets and no way UA will take responsibility in case of missed connections. If you have the time, then yes, flying in the night before will be better. As for hotel stay, are you sure there is no way you can check in? perhaps with an authorization letter from a guardian, etc? If you really don't have a way to sleep properly overnight, then I think you should reconsider to take the morning flight.
              Last edited by SQueeze; 15 June 2011, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Heh ! THANKS A LOT SQUEEZE FOR YOUR VALUABLE ADVISE!

I managed to find another day where seat is available for JFK-FRA-SIN and I managed to secure an AC flight from YYZ-LGA (1 hour flight on Economy though) which means I only need to pay 70k miles for Biz Saver! (From YYZ to Mel !! )

I got an upper deck too for the seating assignment.

Now, I'll arrive LGA at around 10am (exclude custom/baggage). My next flight (SQ25) is at 9pm plus. I'll be on time right??

I know LGA-JFK is only a few miles apart (30 minutes car ride if there's no heavy traffic). I believe there's a shuttle bus that goes DIRECTLY to JFK w/o alighting at Penn Station or Central Station right?

I did my research like not to take those 'hawker taxi driver' who lurk around airport waiting for passengers but to go to the 'legal taxi dispatcher'.

Do you recommend a cab OR a bus there (direct hopefully). Can I check-in early so that I can go to 'The Oasis' Lounge? (Double-check: VS Clubhouse is for F Pax right?)

Will the taxi go a longer way to incur heavy fare in taxi dispatcher?

Last but not least, if my YYZ-LGA is cancelled (Air Strike in YYZ now) - I can call KF to have them rebooked me. IF , YYZ-LGA for morning flight is cancelled - I'll still be on time to reach JFK if I reach LGA at around 3pm-ish ? (I checked the next available time for YYZ-LGA though.)

(If YYZ-LGA is cancelled, KF will definitely find a new routing or some other way to get me in SIN/MEL via Biz and never will they downgrade me? )

I've got a credit of $495 in UA (exclude USD$150 Penalty fee) - what should I do with this tix?

Thanks alot folks here ! Time to try the legendary 747 !~

**Sorry for all the 'rights' Hope it doesn't sound like i'm demanding or something. Just a worried 16yo kid traveling alone and transiting in a foreign place where he doesn't know. Moreover, he is not of legal age to stay in hotel or rebook a new booking if something were to to happy.

My parents did send an email to Singapore Airlines requesting for UM Service for all SQ flights though .. No more Champagne
                Last edited by cocaman; 15 June 2011, 10:57 AM.

Comment

There is a direct bus without having to backtrack to Manhattan.

New York is such an amazing city, you should spend your transit time in the city rather than the airport lounge, which imo is nothing great to talk about. Not too sure if you can check in your luggage early so you can explore the city without it.

Enjoy the flight, and hopefully we get to see a trip report

Comment

Originally posted by SQueeze View Post
                    If it is OZ, well then up to you. I have not flown with them so I don't know what their J class is like. But I doubt it will be any better than SQ's 747 J.
                    Its BETTER than SQ's 747 J. Hard & Soft product.....

Comment

Originally posted by SQueeze View Post
                      I would pick SQ25 over anything else anytime. What is the plane used between SFO-ICN?......... If it is OZ, well then up to you. I have not flown with them so I don't know what their J class is like. But I doubt it will be any better than SQ's 747 J.
                      A great example of why people should stick to what they know, and not what they think they know, when handing out advice.

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
                      Its BETTER than SQ's 747 J. Hard & Soft product.....
                      +1. OZ are fabulous.

Comment

LOL .. it's okay lahh ..

Flying to SFO the night before - higher taxes - long layover in PVG/ICN is kinda a turnoff for me too..

At least SQ25 is still not too bad ~ since it's a popular routing among folks here - less layover ,cheaper taxes and a great deal in terms of miles - and I can try my luck in getting the SQ Teddy Bear (Will ask for more if they ever put me in UM Service )

Really admire you guys who can always fly in F/J cabin ;D I guess i'm already a PITA pax in the call centre ;D

The change fees US$25 was waived like 3-4 times for me !

Comment

Originally posted by cocaman View Post
                          The change fees US$25 was waived like 3-4 times for me !
                          wah, how did you make them waive?

Comment

Most of the time you've got to ask.

But for my case, it's valid. Like the previous agent did not inform me that I've to topup miles for JFK-SIN-MEl since it's all SQ flight. That agent cancelled my previous ticketed booking (the one w NH Metal in it) thus I asked for waiver if I managed to find a new routing.

The very first time is out of goodwill cuz it took me and the agent several hours of finding the availability of flights on Certain days.

The third time - SFO-ICN-PVG-SG-MEL exceeded the mileage for redemption however when the agent added a dummy booking of YYZ-SFO to etix - I thought it's valid and I went to cancel my paid tix which results in penalty.

But i'm pretty sure the PPS/LPP/etc sure have got many waivers and benefits as compared to me (:

**Knowing SQ Op-up policy, what's the chances of op-up for award J pax with UM Service? ***
                            Last edited by cocaman; 16 June 2011, 12:01 PM.

Comment

op-up ? I thought that is a bad word in the SQ dictionary ?

Comment

hahahaha it's the forbidden word that warrants death sentence

Folks...

Would you go :

YYZ-LGA-JFK-SIN-MEL (w SQ 25)

YYZ-ORD-ICN/NRT-SIN-MEL ( w either OZ/NH)

I'm still unfascinated with the 747 product on SQ25 as compared to NH/OZ (((

Is SQ25 J redemption hard to come by and is worth it over other airlines ???

Should just keep this booking (SQ25) and not be TEMPTED to change to other oz/nh flights ?

**GIVEN the choice of Y class for YYZ-LGA or J class for YYZ-EWR // which will you pick?

Both are short haul flight // LGA is VERY close to JFK while EWR is kinda FAR from JFK.

Also // for both flights .. I'll have about 8-10 hours to my connecting flight (SQ25) ..

**I managed to grab 17C Upper Deck for SQ25 .. however there's 19A (window seat) -- which will you choose ?

If I opt for minor service - will they block the next seat for me ?

Lastly // my birthday will be 4 days away from 10 Jul when I fly from SIN-MEL .. should I go and request for B'day Cake ? But no champagne ((
                                Last edited by cocaman; 19 June 2011, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X