Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UPDATED.

Hi folks,

Managed to find one 'precious' J booking after the CSO told me that normally biz bookings are made a few months ahead.

UA867 YYZ - SFO (Y Class)

UA885 SFO - KIX (J)

SQ 619 KIX - SIN (J - 330 Metal)

SQ237 SIN - MEL (J - 777-300)

is this booking WORTH it for 70k miles ?

I still need to pay $500 odd plus for topup of 9k miles and taxes..

I will REACH Osaka at 3.15pm and going back to SINGAPORE at 11am the NEXT day.

Can anyone suggest what I should do / how to spend a night in the airport??

Please note that I'm underage (3 days away to 17YO) and I doubt I can book a hotel ? (Please advise)

In return for all the support - I will do a trip report when I reach Mel ;D
    Last edited by cocaman; 3 June 2011, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Honestly, KIX is a horrible airport, and I realize that it is one of the best airports there, but when I had a transit of about 6 hours, cut to 4 because of delayed incoming, that was probably the best thing to happen in the entire trip. After about 7 or 8pm I found many shops started to close as the last flight out that day was 11.30pm so nearly everything was shut. Spending an overnight there wouldn't be worth it at all, it isn't SIN. How about you look at JFK-FRA-SIN-MEL on SQ 25, that would be available at Saver awards and purchase a YYZ-JFK flight, however I don't know how that would work

Edit: It seems very early to say 7 or 8pm, but none the less it was a fair bit earlier than my flight to Bangkok

Comment

SQ25 upper deck is definitely the best value out there. But they are pricing JFK-MEL at 90K before The 15% online discount. So this is slightly more than the star alliance ticket even after the discount.

What you can do is check with KF and see if they allow YYZ-NYC-MEL as a star alliance booking at 70K with 95% of the journey on SQ. I think it should be a valid route.

Hope that LGA/JFK/EWR is considered the same station as you need to break the journey with surface sector as there is no *A flight between YYZ-JFK. You have to fly into LGA/EWR. Alternatively, you may consider flying YYZ-FRA on AC/LH to connect to SQ25 from there.

But if this is a last minute planning, I doubt that any biz seats will still be available. But worth checking.

UA's flight seems to be a 777 in the near future. I wonder if this is refurbished (somebody please confirm). I think their refurbishment program is slow on the 777s so OP should not expect any lie-flat.
        Last edited by SQueeze; 4 June 2011, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Many thanks folks for your replies.

I just realised that booking any *A flight is like buying stocks. Can change any minute and any time!

I managed to get the agent to book from YYZ-SFO-NRT-PVG-SIN HOWEVER the SFO-NRT was confirmed but after 2 hours of the agent 'calculating taxes' - it was released.

SFO-NRT is in UA's refurbished lie-in bed while the 777 from SFO-KIX is an old plane (checked thru UA's web)

Right now , I managed to get YYZ-LHR on AC Executive First - however LHR-BKK-SIN is still not fixed yet.

I need to fly to china areas so that I can reach SG in the early morning and continue my midnight flight to Mel .. Singaporeanssssss xD

Was really excited that I can do a trip report on SFO-NRT on the refurbished biz class on nrt but then ...

Originally posted by SQueeze View Post
          SQ25 upper deck is definitely the best value out there. But they are pricing JFK-MEL at 90K before The 15% online discount. So this is slightly more than the star alliance ticket even after the discount.

What you can do is check with KF and see if they allow YYZ-NYC-MEL as a star alliance booking at 70K with 95% of the journey on SQ. I think it should be a valid route.

Hope that LGA/JFK/EWR is considered the same station as you need to break the journey with surface sector as there is no *A flight between YYZ-JFK. You have to fly into LGA/EWR. Alternatively, you may consider flying YYZ-FRA on AC/LH to connect to SQ25 from there.

But if this is a last minute planning, I doubt that any biz seats will still be available. But worth checking.

UA's flight seems to be a 777 in the near future. I wonder if this is refurbished (somebody please confirm). I think their refurbishment program is slow on the 777s so OP should not expect any lie-flat.

Comment

Hey folks !

Just contributing my 2 cents here (from my 3 days KF Redemption experience)

Flying from YYZ - (US Cities) - Destination will exempt you from the YQ (United airlines as far as i am aware of.)

*A only allow 6 sectors of transit for one-way

Awardnexus.com + AEROPLANE + Ana = FTW to find *A Flights

I'm still trying to find my flights man !

I found YYZ-NRT-PVG-SIN-MEL but it's too ex for YQ! The amount itself can buy me the require miles for F class ! Sighhhhh

Comment

Dear Folks!

It's CONFIRMED (Just waiting to be ticketed by the department.)

YYZ - ORD (AC501 / J Class)

ORD - NRT (NH11 / J Class)

HND - SIN (NH151 / J Class)

SIN-MEL (SQ237 / J Class)

Total damage for taxes and topup 9000miles : ~$1400.

Is this trip worth it?

I was hesitating between

YYZ - SFO (UA Flight / Y Class)

SFO - NRT (UA Flight with latest business class seat / J Class)

HND - SIN (NH/J)

SIN - MEL (SQ/J)

The difference is about $300. With the latter being cheaper by $300..

What do you guys think?

BTW , 7 hours enough to transit from NRT-HND?

Comment

Originally posted by cocaman View Post
                BTW , 7 hours enough to transit from NRT-HND?
                http://tinyurl.com/6zak47d

Comment

Many thanks jhm ! The link is funny~!

I'm also wondering if that $300 extra is worth NH 11 (not really lie flat seat) as compared to UA 837 (747 - lie flat business seat) ?

Comment

I'm also wondering if that $300 extra is worth NH 11 (not really lie flat seat) as compared to UA 837 (747 - lie flat business seat) ?
                    Why waste peoples' time asking this if, as you say, it's confirmed ?

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                      Why waste peoples' time asking this if, as you say, it's confirmed ?
                      Because I can still rebook the UA flight - setup 2 separate bookings with both confirmed.

Read the NH11 Trip Report here but not any UA new business seat report.

Terribly sorry if I have wasted any precious time of yours and others.

Comment

Because I can still rebook the UA flight - setup 2 separate bookings with both confirmed.
                        And both ticketed and paid for ?

Comment

No. They're still 'taking their time' to re-issue my old ticket (Y Class) to the latest booking (w NH11).

So by asking if that $300 is worth it here, (and if it's not) - I can call them now and have them rebook to that UA flight again.

Both are under different booking ref but currently both bookings are confirmed and waiting to be ticketed. (Up to me to decide which one I want)

Oh ya - they're really nice people too - waived the US$25 rebooking fee (:

Comment

jhm I'm surprised you haven't utilised HUGE AL's favorite function on this board

Comment

Read the NH11 Trip Report here but not any UA new business seat report.
                              Folks here are very discerning. They only fly the good stuff...

Comment

agree

NH11 FTW (: booked. (Cuz UA is lie flat seat while NH isn't - that's why I was hesitating but i choose service & cabin comfort over seat , I think)

Hehehehehehe don't want folks here to complain that I'm asking to be spoon-fed.

I chose 15C for SQ237 (777-300 Refurb) - good seat? Opinion plsssss - maybe there's no difference at all!

Good day everyone

Comment

Working...
                                X