A345's to be refitted with 100 x new JCL seats only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by emperorsr View Post
    Well I have flown on both. And Exec Y is clearly a better product in terms of just the seat alone, and I'm not talking about the seat pitch either. Y on TG is just 1 inch behind the PE product on SQ so that's not the issue. Flying on the 77W, as I told SQ later, the seats were SO uncomfortable by comparison. I was told, Oh that's why everyone gets those nice cushions and blankets.

Don't get me wrong. I love my carrier and there is nothing like the feeling of being in an SQ plane or seeing the sarong kebayas walking en masse in a foreign airport. I swear it's prob a big motivating factor to feel pride in Singapore...still, with other airlines picking up the slack with PE products, one can't help but feel that there is a need in the market for the mid level product.

BTW I am new here and am still trying to figure out some terms. I assume that you were saying that the surcharge for the 77W has ended? Er, I checked for flights to Paris last night and it is holding steady at SGD 2005, way beyond any other airline. Has it really ended? SQ is not known to bring fares southwards. Even while some airlines reverse fuel surcharges to match the market, SQ does not.

And what does IIRC and COS mean...sorry, SQTalk virgin here....:-)
    I did some mock bookings, and yes, to my knowledge the surcharges have/ are being ended on the 77W. IIRC= if i recall correctly. There is a page on SQ Talk slang on the SQTalk community section i think that is "stickied."

I know people who have been in the new Y seat and I have read many pax reviews, all I have been getting is raves about how everything has improved with the new product. I've never heard otherwise until you spoke. And yes, I very much agree with the feeling that SIA gives me as a Singaporean. It gives us something to be proud of to display to the world and I always feel at home when I see a Singapore Girl or SIA plane outside of SG.

Well, I just posted a thread on how there is a good chance that there will be nonstop Singapore-toronto flights with Y, so, maybe that will help if you are looking for a nonstop to the east coast of N. America. Its not exec Y, but, its still SQ I guess. As stated earlier, the A380 via FRA doesn't sound bad either
    Such a way about you, My Singapore Girl. Wouldn't go away without you, My Singapore Girl.

Comment

Originally posted by sqforever View Post
      I did some mock bookings, and yes, to my knowledge the surcharges have/ are being ended on the 77W.
      BOY i am learning so much here about the terms!! I flew to Paris in Feb and the price hovered above the SGD 2K range. Last night it was SGD 2005 on the website. Is there a source for the ending of the surcharge? I don't even think they call it that. It's a fare increase for upgraded products if I am not wrong...

In any case, every other airline is anywhere from SGD 900 to SGD 1700 + to Paris. Imagine...

SQ says that they have surveys and meetings with frequent fliers before they decide on their new products. Let me tell you what I know. They focus those heavily on the premium tier. And FYI, on their first flight to Paris on the 77W, they actually gave out free premium tickets (C and F) to frequent fliers on their list to ask them to try out the product and give feedback.

I know a few people who got this privilege. I have never heard of Y pax being invited. And I would love it if I knew Singaporeans were offered this opportunity to do product testing. As far as I know, they invited foreigners. The friends I know that got invited were Americans. Tadaaaa....

I should do an article about class consciousness on SQ for syndicated media...

Sigh.
      Have Passport Will Travel!

Comment

BOY i am learning so much here about the terms!! I flew to Paris in Feb and the price hovered above the SGD 2K range. Last night it was SGD 2005 on the website. Is there a source for the ending of the surcharge? I don't even think they call it that. It's a fare increase for upgraded products if I am not wrong...

In any case, every other airline is anywhere from SGD 900 to SGD 1700 + to Paris. Imagine...

SQ says that they have surveys and meetings with frequent fliers before they decide on their new products. Let me tell you what I know. They focus those heavily on the premium tier. And FYI, on their first flight to Paris on the 77W, they actually gave out free premium tickets (C and F) to frequent fliers on their list to ask them to try out the product and give feedback.

I know a few people who got this privilege. I have never heard of Y pax being invited. And I would love it if I knew Singaporeans were offered this opportunity to do product testing. As far as I know, they invited foreigners. The friends I know that got invited were Americans. Tadaaaa....

Sigh.
        You are so right.

Comment

Wouldn't you do the same, if you ran a business where paying premium class passengers drive profitability?

I myself am disappointed that SQ doesn't think premium economy seating is necessary to compete, but the best way to prove them wrong is to migrate to carriers that do. On my frequently-flown routes, the competing offers are not yet compelling enough. At the price point that QF is currently selling premium economy and with the bare-bones offer on BA's WT+, I would still rather sit in SQ Y and put up with the smaller personal space. If enough passengers come to the same conclusion, SQ can keep Y loads high enough to maintain profitability.
          You should also include other carriers like BA (no tier points unless you pay more expensive fares), LH (no investment in the past to improve its long-haul Y product), and CX (no AVOD and seat upgrades in its Y cabin until the most recent cabin upgrades).
          Last edited by jjpb3; 24 November 2007, 04:47 PM.
          ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
            Wouldn't you do the same, if you ran a business where paying premium class passengers drive profitability?
            The answer the the question is yes I would. But I wouldn't then fake my 'care' for the 'less fortunate' and tell the world that I took care of them. I know they can't overlook Y when they launch new products. But then again, as I also mentioned to them, you cannot tell people there is more space when the seat spec is the same as your old 747...well, except for the thinner seat backs and the slide mechanism of course. As for some reports here then a 6 footer Westerner from Rolls Royce felt that the new Y seats gave him room to spare, I mean seriously, what do you expect him to say to his business partner? Wow that sucks? Even Richard Quest had to initially say, yes it is comfortable. Later he said, the F and C were amazing and Y, well, it's Y.

Oh btw, its ok to invite people to test drive the products. But aren't there a lot of local premium travelers too? I can tell you that I know for a fact, sources cannot be revealed, that SQ management does not value local input very much. Even local artistes and personalities get vetted heavily before they can even get passed into the IFE.

Agreed the solution is to migrate. At least one Asian carrier has a PE product now. Actually looks like a scaled down version of their J. But yeah, it still boils down to pricing and value regardless. SQ's PE was a great marriage of both. So sad.
            Last edited by emperorsr; 24 November 2007, 04:57 PM.

Comment

But I wouldn't then fake my 'care' for the 'less fortunate' and tell the world that I took care of them.
              The 'care' may be fake but given the service interactions between passengers and cabin crew in addition to the inflight entertainment system and thoughtful design of the seats, perception is reality and the 'care' certainly seems to be there for Economy Class passengers on Singapore Airlines.

With regards to Premium Economy, if things are to be believed, Singapore Airlines is exiting that market and in doing so de facto conceding that market to other airlines. It may be sad for some passengers but the implied conclusion from the executiveconomy experiment is that Economy Class passengers are unwilling to pay a high enough premium to justify the executiveconomy experience (from seating to time savings).

Comment

Any updates on this story? Will SQ be going all-J on the 345s ultra-long-hauls LAX/NYC-SIN?

Comment

dunno abt LAX but NYC yes. crew members apparently have been informed. great if you have the mulah or the company is paying, bad if you have to stopover in europe. might as well do TG and stopover in bkk for spa treatments...

Comment

unsubstantiated thread on TOF suggests Aug 08...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=765890

Comment

A couple of weeks ago they were still weighing up the options. I've heard April mentioned, for both conversion to all J and also possible start date for nonstop to IAH. There has also been talk of IAH via Moscow (and even DXB !!) as well.

I'm sure when the marketing people have finished fishing around and scratching their chins some form of decision will be made.
                      Last edited by MAN Flyer; 10 December 2007, 05:56 AM. Reason: Cannae schpell..

Comment

dunno abt LAX but NYC yes. crew members apparently have been informed. great if you have the mulah or the company is paying, bad if you have to stopover in europe. might as well do TG and stopover in bkk for spa treatments...
                        Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                        A couple of weeks ago they were still weighing up the options. I've heard April mentioned, for both conversion to all J and also possible start date for nonstop to IAH.
                        I have a trip to New York City coming up in March. Guess I won't be able to make it for the all-J Class experience.

Given that airline tickets are getting pricier and companies are feeling the pinch, if my sponsor isn't willing to put me on SQ J, I might give the TG A345 a try. Doesn't hurt to do a short stopover in Bangkok. I've thought of Etihad and Qatar too but it seems they charge even highter premiums than SQ does.
                        My Cafe Adventures
                        Be Among The First To Savour Aromatic Vietnamese Coffee
                        http://www.mycafeadventures.com/

Comment

Originally posted by The High Flyer View Post
                          I have a trip to New York City coming up in March. Guess I won't be able to make it for the all-J Class experience.

Given that airline tickets are getting pricier and companies are feeling the pinch, if my sponsor isn't willing to put me on SQ J, I might give the TG A345 a try. Doesn't hurt to do a short stopover in Bangkok. I've thought of Etihad and Qatar too but it seems they charge even highter premiums than SQ does.
                          TG has decent seats, but indifferent service. My review is here: http://www.sqtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1572

You may want to consider signing up for a certain FFP popular with some SQTalkers. SIN-BKK-JFK and back on TG J will get you instant Silver and halfway to Gold, and a big bunch of miles to redeem with miles+cash.
                          Last edited by milehighj; 10 December 2007, 10:39 AM.

Comment

So the Business class seats will be the same width as the A380's, right?

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                              You should also include other carriers like ... LH (no investment in the past to improve its long-haul Y product) ...
                              Now you are being unfair. LH started to change seats in Y and put in ones with PTV uhh now that blows you away ehh and only after after how many years of other carriers having this in Y all along

Ohh and on a side note - I would also be sad to see Exec Y go having "somewhat" enjoyed it in May 07 on my trip to ORD (via EWR). Seat vs. price ratio was good but obviously not good enough for SQ. Also C always sells out first on those flights which indicates that they maybe on to smth. Sad to see it go though and from what colleagues have told me (Singaporeans and Ang Mo ) they are not too exstatic on the "improved" comfort of the Y seats on the 77W (no reports on the A380 yet). One comment I got from a lady that is 1.57m and maybe (guessing here ) 45kg was that her "behind" hurt painfully halfway through the flight. Go figure.
                              Last edited by demue; 10 December 2007, 04:17 PM.

Comment

I had read on another forum on line (airliners) that there is talk of SQ345 coming to IAD (Washington DC Dulles) and sq possibly stopping A345 service to LAX. As a local of DC we would love to see SQ fly here with their own metal. Right now they codeshare with NH and Virgin. Anyone have any info. or if SQ have any future plans to fly to IAD.

Comment

Working...
                                X