• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PARIS!!!
    actually i'll be returning on the eve of christmas
    I know when you airline bling, that could only mean one thing

Comment

• QR, 3K, TG, TG, CX, LH,

QR - Christmas day to SIN. Y to DOH, and J to SIN (upgraded with points)
      3K - SIN to KUL on 27/12 - Econ
      TG - KUL to BKK on 29/12 - Business
      TG - BKK to SIN on 3/1- Business (I hope)

CX - SIN to HKG on 6/1 (in Business)
      CX - HKG to JNB on 7/1 (in FIRST)

LH - JNB to FRA to HAM on 12/1 (in Biz)

Comment

• Originally posted by Guy Betsy View Post
        QR, 3K, TG, TG, CX, LH,

QR - Christmas day to SIN. Y to DOH, and J to SIN (upgraded with points)
        3K - SIN to KUL on 27/12 - Econ
        TG - KUL to BKK on 29/12 - Business
        TG - BKK to SIN on 3/1- Business (I hope)

CX - SIN to HKG on 6/1 (in Business)
        CX - HKG to JNB on 7/1 (in FIRST)

LH - JNB to FRA to HAM on 12/1 (in Biz)
        Schedule seems a bit tight to be on holidays... No time off for X'mas and New Year?
        God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

• Chrismas Travel Plans

I will be travelling from my base in BNE to factory in AMD for Christmas. Probably be working Christmas Day. First Christmas in the Northern Hemisphere. I guess it will not snow in AMD. Maybe next year in LHR. I love to see a white Christams. Christmas in BNE is beaches BBQs, Surf and Sun.

Happy Christams to everyone.

Gunners

Comment

• Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
            Damn, how in the world did I miss the Krug discussion?! nickbot, can you pick me up a few cases?
            Sorry HUGE AL, that was a *theoretical* price, had you been able to take advantage of clubcard vouchers. I'm sure the HUGE cellar is already healthily stocked

That said, I did purchase a bottle myself this evening, courtesy of Tesco's low low price and combined with a free "till spit" £10 off voucher - I also purchased 3 bottles of Lindemans Merlot, 3 bottles of Ocean's Edge Sauvignon Blanc (RRP £8.99), 1 bottle of Jacobs Creek sparkling Shiraz and one bottle of store brand brut Cava (perfectly drinkable and great for Bucks Fizz on Christmas morning). The grand total was £62 for all nine bottles, can't really complain at that.

I asked the wine supervisor if they had any boxed bottles of Krug, and he replied in the negative - he said they'd had four dozen bottles in stock and had basically sold none in the past two years or more, hence the clearance price. Luckily I still have a Krug box courtesy of very generous friends, so the nickbots cellar is now properly restocked!

Comment

• Damn! nickbot, you've got to e-mail me about these deals and how to take advantage of them. Remember, I don't speak UK.

The current economy is indeed yielding some great values. Costco in the USA is selling Veuve Clicquot La Grande Dame (can't remember the vintage) for USD$99. Last year's offering went for USD$143. There have been numerous articles of how the Champagne industry has especially been hit hard.

For those peaty Scotch drinkers (myself NOT included), Costco is selling JW Blue Label for USD$143 -- the lowest USA based price I've seen.
              HUGE AL

Comment

• HUGE AL goes to Costco?

Comment

• We just had a Costco open in Melbourne. I've never understood the fascination behind buying massive buckets of ice cream or enough toilet paper to last the next century, but I'm rather intrigued by the possibility of obtaining cheap premiere champers there... will make it a NY resolution to check the place out when I next re-stock the cellar or grog cupboard.
                  All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

• Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
                    We just had a Costco open in Melbourne. I've never understood the fascination behind buying massive buckets of ice cream or enough toilet paper to last the next century, but I'm rather intrigued by the possibility of obtaining cheap premiere champers there... will make it a NY resolution to check the place out when I next re-stock the cellar or grog cupboard.
                    It's a funny place KeithMEL, you'll see plenty of people stocking up on items such as those you mention (despite the fact that you can obtain them cheaper and in less bulk at regular supermarkets) - I see these as the idiot element of Costco shoppers: "because it's a bulk buy it must be cheaper". On the other hand, if you're clued up then there are bargains to be had.

A few examples (from a UK experience slant) - I buy my daily disposable contact lenses there (unless a helpful SIN/BKK based SQTalker helps me out ), also get my regular glasses re-glazed; for designer frames the prices are generally pretty keen, but again one has to keep an eye out for the regular highstreet prices. My annual subscription for Costco usually pays for itself with one re-shod of tyres for my car, as their prices on Michelin tyres normally blows the competiton out of the water. As you mention, some other premium items such as Dom, Krug, Cristal etc. can be cheaper, but the savings these days aren't as much as they used to be. It's quite an interesting place to visit, as they often have food/beverage samplers at about a dozen different stations dotted around the store. Also, if you fancy a cheap bite to eat, the cafeteria sells pizza/jacket potatoes/fat-free ice cream at barely cost price. I'm a bargain hunter, so suits me down to the ground

...oh and I almost forgot the nickbots most frequently purchased item - Thai sweet chilli sauce! I can get 1.5 litres of the stuff (about a months supply ) from Costco for less than 200 ml of the same brand at the supermarket. It's not uncommon for mrs nickbot and I to cycle the 26 mile round trip just to buy chilli sauce and have an ice cream
                    Last edited by nickbot; 14 December 2009, 04:44 PM.

Comment

• Here you go KeithMEL, a snapshot of premier alcoholic beverage prices from a UK Costco branch this Saturday. Make sure you check the price in smaller font, as this is inclusive of VAT.

...for a zoomed version which may be easier to read, click HERE

Comment

• ooh Chiam-pag-nee! Yummy

Comment

• Strangely enough I was at the local Costco in Japan and the prices for premium bubbles and other spirits seem = !

Comment

• Thanks nickbot. Some great tips there, I'd hope the one in Melbourne also offers similar bargains. The champagne prices do seem a little bit cheaper than the high street pricing I saw in London, but nowhere near your theoretical price.

So, to steer this thread back on-topic, I look forward to reading about everyone else's plans for the holiday season!
                            All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

• Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
                              So, to steer this thread back on-topic, I look forward to reading about everyone else's plans for the holiday season!
                              Just heading home to the Manila, but I might have a chance to do a trip (and perhaps a TR) to Palawan. It would be my first time there.
                              ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

• Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                                Just heading home to the Manila, but I might have a chance to do a trip (and perhaps a TR) to Palawan. It would be my first time there.
                                Yes, do that please! I've never been to the Visayas or for that matter anywhere outside Luzon - make sure there are lots of pics

Comment

Working...
                                X