Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cawhite View Post
    Chicken rice from Boon Tong Kee

Dinner in style - the Veuve, the water - it was even perfectly color-coordinated with the decor! Rumour has it this might just be the prototype for any future SKLs.

Sadly, the curry puffs weren't around long enough for any photos to be taken of them. But they were fantastic!
    Is the Boon Tong Kee chicken rice from the Balestier or River Valley branch?

I'd like to pick the brains of some Singaporeans here. I vaguely remember a murder commited outside a restaurant which I suspect is the site of the present River Valley BTK. Sometime in the 80s or 90s? Would anyone have further details?

Back on topic... was the BTK a take-away and eaten in someone's house?

The curry puffs were not Old Chang Kee, were they? I used to eat them every Mondays and Thursdays - courtesy of KE7 Hall in NUS.

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
      SQFAN, you have to try "yuk hwae" when you're in ICN next month. It's the Korean version of steak tartare with pine nuts, pear, egg yolk, sesame oil etc - very tasty once you get over the initial gag reflex!
      jhm, I think I must have tried it or something similar with my recent visit to London. Went to 'Arang'. All I remembered was succulent mince beef which was then all mixed with a raw egg and sesame oil. It was a very tasty dish. Another satisfied customer, I must add. Will have to visit once again. Phaleesy - thanks for the textural, taste and smell description. Someone here is salivating.

BTW, I'll try to take some pics for my next visit to ICN.
      Last edited by SQFAN; 17 November 2007, 07:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SQFAN View Post
        jhm, All I remembered was succulent mince beef which was then all mixed with a raw egg and sesame oil. It was a very tasty dish. Another satisfied customer, I must add. Will have to visit once again. Phaleesy - thanks for the textural, taste and smell description. Someone here is salivating.
        I forgot about the raw egg. It makes the whole mess of meat gooey. Doesn't sound too appetitizing. In fact, the whole dish does not look very appealing either. But still delicious.

Comment

Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
          I forgot about the raw egg. It makes the whole mess of meat gooey. Doesn't sound too appetitizing. In fact, the whole dish does not look very appealing either. But still delicious.
          The recipe of steak tartare I've tried also had a raw egg yolk, but that was about it aside from the beef and maybe some raw onion and salt and pepper. Maybe that's why I was never a fan. The Korean version sounds much better.

Comment

Originally posted by MovieMan View Post
            The recipe of steak tartare I've tried also had a raw egg yolk, but that was about it aside from the beef and maybe some raw onion and salt and pepper. Maybe that's why I was never a fan. The Korean version sounds much better.
            The one which nibbled at, in Villandry, had capers. I have to agree that the Korean version taste better and when served with warm rice (proper boiled until water evaporate and not the UK boiled & drained method).... Hmmm.

Comment

CGK, were there sausages in your cassoulet?
              Yes, there were a small short sausage cut in a half length wise...

Comment

The curry puffs were not Old Chang Kee, were they? I used to eat them every Mondays and Thursdays - courtesy of KE7 Hall in NUS.
                Just found the card from the curry puff place: the curry puffs are from the Balestier Hill Shopping Centre (Blk 1 Thomson Road #01-348).

Gawd, I miss them already.
                ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Is the Boon Tong Kee chicken rice from the Balestier or River Valley branch?
                  It was from the Balestier branch......it was a special "Book The Kook" service (no....the spelling is correct..BTK)
                  Last edited by Jubilee777; 18 November 2007, 10:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jubilee777 View Post
                    It was from the Balestier branch......it was a special "Book The Kook" service (no....the spelling is correct..BTK)
                    I must have been in Y. Last week I did not get the offer this special "Book The Kook" service. I guess Singapore doesn't love me.

Comment

• Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                      Just found the card from the curry puff place: the curry puffs are from the Balestier Hill Shopping Centre (Blk 1 Thomson Road #01-348).

Gawd, I miss them already.
                      I'm almost ecstatic! Will be in SIN this Sat and the hotel I'm staying in has an Old Chang Kee curry puff stall. Can't wait. Any orders, anyone ?

Comment

• Originally posted by SQFAN View Post
                        I'm almost ecstatic! Will be in SIN this Sat and the hotel I'm staying in has an Old Chang Kee curry puff stall. Can't wait. Any orders, anyone ?
                        Let me guess! The Meridien!

Are curry puffs allowed into the UK? Do they not contain meat products? A friend is coming from SIN on Thursday. I might get her to bring some.

Comment

Any orders, anyone ?
                          Oh, why not? Grab me a box, sir.
                          ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

• Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
                            Let me guess! The Meridien!
                            How do you know that ?!?

Ah, curry puffs! Happy memories of an afternoon many years ago churning them out with a group of others to sell at a uni variety show!

Comment

Hmm when will you be back?

Comment

• Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
                                Are curry puffs allowed into the UK? Do they not contain meat products? A friend is coming from SIN on Thursday. I might get her to bring some.
                                Spoilsport! In that case, I better eat my fair share. Somebody, bring me a wheelbarrow & cart me back to UK Burp.

jhm, you lucky S.O.B (saying in the very nicest tone and without malice). How many do you think you can pry off phaleesy?

Comment

Working...
                                X