Ah, that network of SQTalk friends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
    Yup it was cassoulet. I think CGK was too traumatized by the amount of ham in his ham hock salad to have remembered correctly.
    I am sure you said cassoulet. But my French is zilch. So, it sounded like confit. And yup, my meat was too little!

Comment

Thanks SQ333. Updated the post description.

Comment

Originally posted by CGK View Post
        What's that in the yellow plastic bag? Doest not match with the atmosphere, does it eh? A special one for SQFAN I believe.
        Curry puffs? Yum.

Comment

Originally posted by cawhite View Post
          Curry puffs? Yum.
          Good guess
          I had to donate two of mine.

Comment

View from the serving plate (Dedicated to jjpb3)

Steak tartare
            I missed out a dish from my post #44. I believe jjpb3 is a recent convert. Here it is.

phaleesy, yes, it's raw.

Like I say Sir I, there seems to be a trend. Hmmm.

Comment

Originally posted by CGK View Post
              I am sure you said cassoulet. But my French is zilch. So, it sounded like confit. And yup, my meat was too little!
              Actually, my correction was corrected by someone with much more familiarity with France than I. The duck in the cassoulet is a confit. I learn something everyday.
              ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Actually, my correction was corrected by someone with much more familiarity with France than I. The duck in the cassoulet is a confit. I learn something everyday.
                Not that instigator, eh? Same here as I, too, received a dose of French.

Comment

Yes, it was the Irredeemable One.
                  ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

The duck in the cassoulet is a confit.
                    The duck confit, together with the beans, then becomes a cassoulet.

CGK, were there sausages in your cassoulet?

I think the cassoulet tends to look slightly dry because it is baked in the oven for sometime before serving. You can buy them in tins and glass jars in any supermarkets, including Fauchon.

Comment

Originally posted by SQFAN View Post
                      phaleesy, yes, it's raw.
                      I usually have my beef raw or rare. I have no qualms about eating raw food. But I have never eaten raw langoustines before.

Comment

Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
                        I usually have my beef raw or rare. I have no qualms about eating raw food. But I have never eaten raw langoustines before.
                        It was a rather strange experience. How shall I put it? Well, whenever I tried sashimi, the texture is crisp and firm; with a clean clear cut palate. With langoustine, it's a bit softer and a bit more lingering taste on the palate. Hope I have explained this well.

Maybe the other guilty parties can chime in.

Comment

Originally posted by SQFAN View Post
                          I missed out a dish from my post #44. I believe jjpb3 is a recent convert. Here it is.

phaleesy, yes, it's raw.

Like I say Sir I, there seems to be a trend. Hmmm.
                          I enjoy sashimi and most other raw seafood I've tried, but I've never been a fan of steak tartare... maybe I should give it another chance.

Comment

Originally posted by MovieMan View Post
                            ... I've never been a fan of steak tartare... maybe I should give it another chance.
                            Shame to admit that I only discovered that dish recently.

The first thing that popped into my mind was the potential for a beef tape worm (well, a byproduct of having morbid interest in CDC and Traveller's Health). Having said that, I do eat sashimi quite a lot...and do you know, fish related parasites are far worse than beef ones?

Think I better stop here or else I unknowingly convert all here to vegetarians.

Comment

SQFAN, you have to try "yuk hwae" when you're in ICN next month. It's the Korean version of steak tartare with pine nuts, pear, egg yolk, sesame oil etc - very tasty once you get over the initial gag reflex!

Comment

The Korean version of steak tartare is a lot nicer. Raw beef, tiny slices of pear, sesame oil (I think) and some sprinkled pine nuts. The pear provides the sweetness, the sesame oil the fragrance and the pine nuts the texture. Yum!

Just noticed than jhm has posted the same thing 3 mins earlier!
                                Last edited by phaleesy; 17 November 2007, 07:26 AM. Reason: jhm beat me to it!

Comment

Working...
                                X