How many DSLR users here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LukeGT View Post
    I've just shot my first pictures on UA840 and I must admit I'm fully satisfied with it!
    I'm looking forward to the pictures then.

I just Googled and does "twin kit lens" mean these two ?

"Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S DX VR (Vibration Reduction) Lens
    Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED AF-S DX VR (Vibration Reduction) Lens"

Comment

• Originally posted by LukeGT View Post
      thank you.
      I've just shot my first pictures on UA840 and I must admit I'm fully satisfied with it!
      Hope you are satisfied with your purchase ... Good choice

Comment

• Originally posted by jhm View Post
        I just Googled and does "twin kit lens" mean these two ?

"Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S DX VR (Vibration Reduction) Lens
        Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED AF-S DX VR (Vibration Reduction) Lens"
        I know in SIN that's the twin lens kit bundled with the D40, D40x and D60, and that's about the only twin lens kit I've ever seen advertised. However doesn't the D90 come with 18-105mm lens?

Comment

• How do people store their images ?

At the moment, I leave them in random directories on my laptop hard disk which is backed up - I take along on my travels a 500G portable hard disk and also backup to another hard disk when I get home.

However, I've already got thousands of images (it's so easy with digital) but don't categorise/add comments to the pictures afterwards. The pictures have date and time information automatically added by the camera so I can work out from that where the photo was taken but it's still a pain.

I was reading about GPS data loggers - small cheap units which run off batteries and log continuously the location of the unit. Later on, you connect it to your PC and there are prorgams which will match up when your photos were taken to where the data logger was at that time and add the location information to your pictures. You can then use Google Maps (or whatever) to see exactly where you was when you took that photo which sounds nifty! Does anyone use one of these gadgets (and I believe some cameras have GPS built-in) ? I can see it may be very useful for a road trip (for example).

Comment

• Originally posted by jhm View Post
            How do people store their images ?
            Good question, jhm.

Originally posted by jhm View Post
            At the moment, I leave them in random directories on my laptop hard disk which is backed up - I take along on my travels a 500G portable hard disk and also backup to another hard disk when I get home.
            I have them in one 500Gb external (but not portable) HDD which I back up in another external 500Gb HDD.

However, I've already got thousands of images (it's so easy with digital) but don't categorise/add comments to the pictures afterwards.
            I'm on the same boat. I have been saying for years to myself to get down and sort everything out but haven't actually done this yet; all is there but not sorted, which actually will make it even more difficult as I keep adding pictures in the archive...

I was reading about GPS data loggers... ...Does anyone use one of these gadgets (and I believe some cameras have GPS built-in) ? I can see it may be very useful for a road trip (for example).
            No experience here on this.

Comment

• I am getting a new dSLR... my sister has my D60 and she wants to keep it :/ ... meaning, which one should I get? The D80 is great but I might want a newer model... any Nikon one could recommend except those pro-photography cams I really don't need? A notch better than the D60 would be fine
              Home is where your heart is.

Comment

• I've been doing some research as I would like to get one myself, and I have read very good things about the D90.

Comment

• Canon EOS400D with a 18-55mm and an 18-200IS lens which I use for spotting.
                  The world's too large a place not to go wandering.

Comment

• The D90 replaces the D80 (which is a good cam IMO which I'm currently using). Has some additional features like the VR kit lens and live view which the D80 doesn't have. I think it comes with the dust reduction feature too which is good. (dust is a problem if you change lenses regularly) If you want something more than the D60 then the D90 would be it. Next level up is the D300 although at a fair bit more cost.

Comment

• My 580ex fried the PCB of my 1d this week. Thank goodness Canon managed to resuscitate it or else it would be an expensive write off.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick C View Post
                        My 580ex fried the PCB of my 1d this week. Thank goodness Canon managed to resuscitate it or else it would be an expensive write off.
                        Are you CPS ("Canon Professional Service" [U.S.]) Nick? or if not, they did honor the (possibly expired) guarantee? Nice of them if they did so.

Comment

• Originally posted by N_Architect View Post
                          Are you CPS ("Canon Professional Service" [U.S.]) Nick? or if not, they did honor the (possibly expired) guarantee? Nice of them if they did so.
                          Actually, am no longer a CPS since they revised the renewal requirements. They only charged for repair job but the replacement electronic parts were all FOC.

Comment

• Which fisheye?

Need the advice of fisheye experts. Which one should I get? I want to use the lens for landscape, architecture and some fun people photos.

Canon
                            Fisheye EF 15mm f/2.8 Autofocus Lens

Or

Sigma
                            Fisheye 15mm f/2.8 EX DG Diagonal Fisheye Autofocus Lens

Or

Sigma
                            10mm f/2.8 EX DC HSM Fisheye Lens
                            Rectangular-Image Fisheye Lens

Any idea what a rectangular image lens is?

Thanks for your help!
                            Last edited by phaleesy; 24 February 2009, 05:54 AM.

Comment

• I think both of them (Canon and Sigma) are rectangular image fisheye lenses:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fisheye_lens

compared to circular fisheye lenses.

Comment

• Which tripod?

Would be using the tripod for a Canon 5D and various lenses ranging up to 300mm. Mainly for low light and animal (cats and monkeys ) shots.
                                To make maximum value out of the tripod, I'd like to use it possibly for some sport events or even plane spotting.

Have a Manfrotto tripod at the moment. Too heavy for me. Don't like.

Criteria for selection : light-weight (so it looks like carbon fibre is the choice for me), easy to assemble and move around (in case I have to chase after or run away from the cats and monkeys), easy to carry since I'm not a big person.

Another question - are tripods allowed as carry-on on flights or do we have to check them in? I normally throw it into the suitcase but just wondering.

Gitzo seems nice but it comes with a price tag to match! Think of the number of hours I have to slave away to buy one!

Comment

Working...
                                X