Mustn't forget the built in 10 stop IS

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
      6mm-1200mm F/1.0 throughout the focal range,

weighs 200grams

costs 200 USD

Only 80mm long and does not extend.

AND.... comes in Pastel pink

I use a Nikon D200, though I sort of retired myself from taking photographs for a few years. Really need to rectify that. I think I will need to take alot of photographs on my next trip in March; I don't travel very often, I really should make an effort to take pictures of the planes! I might get lucky and get a fancy new A330 for SIN-BNE.

My favourite lens for good bokeh is my 85mm f/1.4, a truly gorgeous softness to the image. Love it.

Comment

Advice on bags

What bags are most people using to carry their equipment?

At the moment, I stuff everything into a Tumi backpack. The backpack is padded and I think it is meant for carrying laptops really. I've also got a Lowepro rucksack which I hardly use because it's too bulky/big and can't carry much.

I'd need a bag big enough to carry two Canon bodies; Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8 L, Canon EF 16-35 f/2.8 L and Canon EF 24-70 f/2.8 L lenses. A flashlight sometimes. Something big enough to hold all my barang barang (including maps, guidebook, etc) but yet not too big because I'm not a tall strapping man.

Thanks for your comments.

Comment

Originally posted by phaleesy View Post

At the moment, I stuff everything into a Tumi backpack. The backpack is padded and I think it is meant for carrying laptops really. I've also got a Lowepro rucksack which I hardly use because it's too bulky/big and can't carry much.

I'd need a bag big enough to carry two Canon bodies; Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8 L, Canon EF 16-35 f/2.8 L and Canon EF 24-70 f/2.8 L lenses. A flashlight sometimes. Something big enough to hold all my barang barang (including maps, guidebook, etc) but yet not too big because I'm not a tall strapping man.

That's a whole lot of kit for a trip!. I'm still looking around for one do-it-all lens, and I think the 24-105L will suit me just fine.

Comment

I travelled a bit this year usually carry my 5D, three lenses, 580EXII flash plus all accessories.

I have never gone wrong with my LowePro slingshot bag. Here is a link for it.

http://products.lowepro.com/product/...-AW,2036,4.htm

It is easy to use, access equip and it is waterproof. Great design.

Whatever you chose, given the expense of your equip - please make sure you protect it from rain!

Comment

That's a whole lot of kit for a trip!. I'm still looking around for one do-it-all lens, and I think the 24-105L will suit me just fine.
              SQflyergirl, I assume you mean the Canon 24-105L. It is a top lens and I have one. When travelling I use it all the time. Only issue is low light photos given it's F4. Inside Churches etc, I swap to a 16-35L F2.8 as I dont like to use flash out of respect.

But honestly, 90% of my shots are on the 24-105 - just make sure you please put a protective filter (UV) on top when brand new!

Comment

Originally posted by rodders View Post
                SQflyergirl, I assume you mean the Canon 24-105L. It is a top lens and I have one. When travelling I use it all the time. Only issue is low light photos given it's F4. Inside Churches etc, I swap to a 16-35L F2.8 as I dont like to use flash out of respect.

But honestly, 90% of my shots are on the 24-105 - just make sure you please put a protective filter (UV) on top when brand new!
                Yes, I mean the 24-105L Canon

The only only thing that's stopping me from plonking down the money to go buy one now is the fact that's it's no faster than F4 wide open.

Comment

Wouldn't be worried about it to be honest. Think about the type of trip you take and ask yourself if you need a super quick lens.

The lens is awesome and some prefer it over the 24-70L 2.8.

Anyway, I'm sure your the beach loving type when on holidays!

Comment

At the moment, I stuff everything into a Tumi backpack.
                    <snip> the rest...

Having seen the load of equipment you carry around just for photography firsthand, I'd say you could well consider a Six Million Dollar Home (Crumpler).

Comment

Originally posted by rodders View Post
                      Think about the type of trip you take and ask yourself if you need a super quick lens.

It's more to do with

1) Making sure other pax aren't annoyed by flash when I take pics of meals/cabin/seats , without having to resort to some ridiculous ISO number/and building up muscular arms to steady the camera

2) Taking shots of cities passing by underneath the plane at night.

Comment

It's more to do with

1) Making sure other pax aren't annoyed by flash when I take pics of meals/cabin/seats , without having to resort to some ridiculous ISO number/and building up muscular arms to steady the camera

2) Taking shots of cities passing by underneath the plane at night.
                        That is some serious equipment you want for pics of a dodgy cray thermidor!!

I also pack a sony DSC T100 for happy snaps. Small, versatile and handy - actually it is the opposite of me. Will use the flash but a hell of a lot cheaper and versatile than my 85L prime 1.8 which is what you're looking at for night shots sans flash.

Comment

I dropped my 1D & 24-70L in the Forbidden City couple of days ago.... went tumbling down the steps

It still works fine though

Comment

I use two bags, the Lowepro Magnum AW and the Billingham (can't remember the model right now). The Billingham is kind of smaller, i.e. fits one body, 2 reasonable-sized lenses and a flash. The Lowepro is quite good, fits more, but let me tell you it is pretty darn heavy when loaded. Took it with me to Greece on a trip a year ago, was flying Y, took it with me in the cabin w/o any problems.

Billingham bags are great, though very expensive. But they have a very nice feel, and they are also very practical (e.g. in opening /closing). Give them a try if you can, they're worth a look.

Some photos:

You could also get a Lowepro backpack, they're practical. The other brand (like Lowepro) you may want to consider is Tamrak.

Originally posted by Nick C View Post
                            I dropped my 1D & 24-70L in the Forbidden City couple of days ago.... It still works fine though
                            The 1D is built like a tank (as you may well know), that's why...
                            Last edited by N_Architect; 5 December 2008, 09:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by N_Architect View Post
                              Thanks for the reminder, N_Architect! Actually, I do have a Billingham (bought many many years ago and somewhere around the house) which phaleesy can probably nick if it's not too big - same colour/canvas material as yours but I think my one also has two detachable side pockets (making it a very big bag when loaded).

Comment

Nick C, do you not carry two bodies as well? Which bag are you using?

All these bags are too masculine looking! I think I need to design a girly bag myself! I only need a bag that's big enough for two bodies and a few lenses, and yet still small looking for a girl. Pastel colours in pink or baby blue would be nice too.

Comment

Working...
                                X