No announcement yet.

State of Emergency in Bangkok

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will be flying through BKK on the 14th of May and then again on the 29th...grrrrrrrr

All i can do is hope for the best, and if those cards should be dealt, be prepared with other plans
    I'm still waiting for my cookie as my first name is Kris

Comment

Will they ever make up their mind???

MAN Flyer, perhaps you should run for office there. Get the 1700+ Members we have on SQT to march.
      Last edited by HUGE AL; 9 April 2009, 09:53 AM.
      HUGE AL

Comment

thailand is just total anarchy... i have no intentions of visiting for quite awhile. not that i even feel endangered, i just don't want to have a vacation ruined by that madness.

Comment

It was getting tense again when I left last month, and I'm due to go back for another 7 week rotation here soon.... so getting abit worried.

But amazingly, the THB hasn't fluctuated much! Amazing Thailand

Comment

Originally posted by taipeiflyer View Post
            thailand is just total anarchy... i have no intentions of visiting for quite awhile. not that i even feel endangered, i just don't want to have a vacation ruined by that madness.
            i think total anarchy is a slight exaggeration. As always if you remain away from the protest zone you won't even know it is happening. 99.9% of Thailand remains business as usual.
            My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

I finally saw some pictures on BBC today (although I haven’t been watching the channel, my uncle called me over and had me take a look)...although I brushed it off I am a little worried...but just a little...

So, so far for my upcoming vacation we have the following scenarios

(a) Air Canada goes bankrupt, leaving me in Montreal or Paris on the return [the probability of them going bankrupt is small, but not 0, the probability of them going into bankruptcy protection, pretty good]; SOLUTION: Dash over to Air France and catch 1 of 4 daily flights out of Montreal or to Montreal
              (b) Bangkok protestors seize and close the airport between May 14th to 29th. SOLUTION: If Chiang Mai (CNX) is still open, grab another carrier from Singapore (example, Silk Air) to Chiang Mai. Then morph my Cambodian flights a little to reflect the change. If CNX is also closed, then, well, no idea lol
              (c) Both (a) and (b) occur
              (d) Neither (a) nor (b)

Keeping me on my toes, awesome!!
              I'm still waiting for my cookie as my first name is Kris

Comment

Our office in BKK is closed today

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                  Our office in BKK is closed today
                  Dang, it MUST be pretty bad!
                  HUGE AL

Comment

Things getting more then interesting again.

"Emergency Decree in Pattaya"

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingn...ree-in-pattaya

A total lack of security, or should I say lack of will to enforce security (I know it's a delicate situation and they are trying to avoid a confrontation,). I would like to see them host the G20.

They should of just canceled Asean Summit when they had the chance. Would of lost less face then this.

Comment

Someone filmed some "Reds" trying to close up a intersection on Sathorn and Rama 3, when the locals (in this area I would guess more "yellow" supporters) are shooed, booed, pushed away.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/spec...2105&cateid=13

I hope this whole mess gets resolved peacefully soon, doubt it, but one can hope.

Not looking forward to going back next month.

Comment

Originally posted by Lie_flat_seatlover View Post
                        Someone filmed some "Reds" trying to close up a intersection on Sathorn and Rama 3, when the locals (in this area I would guess more "yellow" supporters) are shooed, booed, pushed away.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/spec...2105&cateid=13

I hope this whole mess gets resolved peacefully soon, doubt it, but one can hope.

Not looking forward to going back next month.
                        what is it you are worried about by going back?

Comment

Originally posted by sqdazz View Post
                          what is it you are worried about by going back?
                          Road closures, airport blockades etc... inconvenient at most.

A coup,it's been afew years now so possible, and abit more serious.

It's anything more then that, that is bothersome.

Comment

Well word on the street is that the AOT 'let' the protestors storm the airports last time, but they've been told by the AOT that they won't be allowed in again this time, so flights should be fairly safe.

However, some road closures did occur over the past few days as the red shirts tried to gather momentum. Apparently Thaksin is paying every red shirt supporter (verified by their ID cards) 3,000 THB per day to keep things going. The govt however managed to arrest the red shirt-ed leader (one of them anyway) and are trying to use him as ransom.

Amazing Thailand? Bangkok Dangerous!

Comment

Well my experience w/ Thailand only goes back 17 years when I was based there, but I've become apprehensive the last few years about the countries stability and moved back to the states.

I hope for a peaceful, permanent resolution.. but that might be wishing thinking.

One can still hope... Long Live The King

Comment

The army is winning the battle now against the roadblocks and reds are retreating to govt house. The army is actually taking positive action today which is a change.

The airport will NOT be affected IMHO.

Comment

Working...
                                X