No announcement yet.

State of Emergency in Bangkok

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2-4 of April should see the protests over by then, I still intend to pop back to BKK on those dates, say hi if you're around, sqdazz. Am heading down to MEL next week actually.

Comment

• Originally posted by sqdazz View Post
      How long you in for ManFlyer, Ill be at BKK on APR 1 followed by April 4, 8 and 9, and probably 10 and 11 as well. mel-bkk-sin-dps-bkk-kkc-bkk-mel
      Just gonna miss you again fella. I am just there overnight next Saturday before flying to Saigon on Sunday.

Comment

• Just confirmed. I'll be coming in early (on SQ, for once) on the 2nd around 8:30AM. Probably be dead tired as coming into SIN at 22:15 from PEK the night before. Staying at the LM on the 2nd-3rd then the Hilton on the 3rd-4th, if anyone's around on the 2nd during the day, that'll work...

Comment

• well im around on the 2nd, we can organise something. What time you fly out on the 4th? im on SQ973, the first flight out.

That's a shame manflyer, will keep trying, ill be in BKK on various dates again in may, june and july
          My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

• BKK

Im in Bkk on tuesday morn 0610-0740 (23rd March) and again on return on the 26th March 0620-1310

Should i be worried about unrest ????

Or failing that, does anyone fancy a beer ?

Im on TG in F if that makes a diff !

Dukesy
            Last edited by dukesy; 18 March 2010, 10:08 PM. Reason: added months in !
            Have we flown/are we flying together ?

http://www.ba97.com/ba97/calendar/re...?handle=dukesy

Comment

• Originally posted by dukesy View Post

Dukesy
              Hi dukesy,

No you should not be worried. Life is as per normal in Bangkok according to my other half! The reds failed miserably, but there is still a few hanging around, clinging on.

Won't be around on your dates, have a great trip though!

Comment

• Originally posted by dukesy View Post
                Im in Bkk on tuesday morn 0610-0740 (23rd March) and again on return on the 26th March 0620-1310

Dukesy
                It wouldn't have affected you anyway as the reds are not (yet) as stupid as the idiots in yellow in wanting to close the airport. I think they now know how much damage that did to the country.

Would have loved to have a beer with you but I am only there on Saturday night.

Emjoy TG.

Comment

• Originally posted by sqdazz View Post
                  The reds failed miserably, but there is still a few hanging around, clinging on.
                  Well it certainly didn't look like that on Saturday!. They got a massive convoy of vehicles up and toured the city. I knew nothing about this until I saw it, twice!.

First time coming off the freeway passing Petchaburi station they were (thankfully) going the opposite way as I was on my was to the SGS. I thought it looked impressive then, but later on I saw the whole thing going up the junction from Asok (right turn from Sukhumvit) and it was mightily impressive I have to say, it went on for (literally) miles.

The authorities estimate anything up to 120,000 were there, which is some feat. The best thing about it was it seemed very friendly and well natured, with lots of people not in the convoy at the side of the road offering support as they passed.

Comment

• MAN Flyer, what are your thoughts on what's to come? From the little we get in the USA, the Red Shirts are looking to have garnered more and more support via peaceful means. Will there be change?

Kyo+, feel free to add.
                    HUGE AL

Comment

• Will only be able to report from a third-person perspective as Kyo+ has made every effort to avoid Bangkok for a little while. I'll be there for Easter, however.

But last I heard was there were no major disruptions yet. No live coverage from me this time.

Comment

• yes man flyer but they have not achieved anything and they do not have the support of the majority of the population. they are quickly running out of ideas and money. they are making it up as they go along. As for the red shirt parade around, people in my apartment complex in Ramkhamhaeng were screaming at the reds to bugger off and stop annoying the residents (according to my partner who saw them go by). He tells me all his friends wish they would just go away.

they will go home eventually, they do not have the support from behind the scenes that the yellow shirts did.

The army and police have this well under control. I wouldnt worry too much at this point.

Comment

• Well, I deliberately try to stay away from politics on here, but as you asked...

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                          MAN Flyer, what are your thoughts on what's to come? From the little we get in the USA, the Red Shirts are looking to have garnered more and more support via peaceful means. Will there be change?
                          I am not worried in the slightest, and wasn't when the Yellow Idiots were performing either, save for them stupidly closing the airport which hurt everyone in the country. The Reds have said they are going to remain peaceful and have no intention of closing the airport, we'll see if that lasts.

There are three or four joint Army & Police checkpoints near Suvarnabhumi at the moment. keeping an eye on things anyway.

Originally posted by sqdazz View Post
                          yes man flyer but they have not achieved anything and they do not have the support of the majority of the population.
                          Sorry, but I disagree with that. They have a huge amount of support and I would think the red movement has more support countrywide than the yellow movement. This has shown to to be the case when national elections have taken place as Thaksin won, then was removed by a military coup.

After he was removed his party/allies got in, again, and were effectively removed by the yellows/Bangkok elite/army, with a farcical one being one PM being banned by the courts for appearing on a cooking show.

The big problem the reds have is:

they do not have the support from behind the scenes that the yellow shirts did.
                          Exactly what you rightly say above, and that's their big problem. But it's also one of their main complaints.

I don't doubt your friends saying some were screming at the Reds on Saturday, as this is Bangkok, where much of the Yellow support is. But I personally saw street vendors and other people at the side of the road waving at them and cheering as they went past.

I have no time for Thaksin myself, he is greedy and corrupt (which is sadly far from unusual in Thailand I know). But they way he was removed after winning an election, and then his allies removed after winning another election is farcical, and this split between the rural poor who support Thaksin and the Bangkok Elite/Army/Silent people linked to the Monarchy/etc.. who cant stand him is going to be around for a while and is sadly not going to go away any time soon.

The big time to see which way Thailand goes is when the King passes away. That is the time to keep an eye on it, as it could go pear shaped quite quickly.
                          Last edited by MAN Flyer; 23 March 2010, 05:03 PM.

Comment

• Did I tell you all about the story of King Taksin??

The ousted PM taksin is believed to be the reincarnation of King Taksin, who united Thailand by kicking out the Burmese in the 18th century. He was then ousted and executed in 1782 by a general who then proclaimed himself king and founded the Chakri Dynasty and that lineage continue until today's king..... you people go do your reading and come to your own conclusion of why the ousted PM is so hated by the elites...

this is a very good article....

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/2010032...08599197387100
                            This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

• Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post

Sorry, but I disagree with that. They have a huge amount of support and I would think the red movement has more support countrywide than the yellow movement. This has shown to to be the case when national elections have taken place as Thaksin won, then was removed by a military coup.
                              Fair enough MAN Flyer. They may have more support than the yellows do, but I think there is an even bigger group that does not support either, and want nothing to do with it. Most people I know in Bangkok are part of that group.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                                ...Kyo+ has made every effort to avoid Bangkok for a little while.
                                Hmmm...and what does the other half have to say about THAT?

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                                The big time to see which way Thailand goes is when the King passes away.
                                Completely agree.
                                HUGE AL

Comment

Working...
                                X