No announcement yet.

State of Emergency in Bangkok

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bangkok airport is closed indefinitely due to protestors storming the terminal.

Well, there goes bookings on TG for now.....
    This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

Originally posted by kapitan View Post
      Bangkok airport is closed indefinitely due to protestors storming the terminal.
      What on earth is the point of that ?!.

Methinks these idiots are running out of ideas....

Comment

Oh NO!!!!!

News report says that there are bomb blast at the airport and 3000 paxs are stuck there....

Three of my colleagues are stuck there now. They are on way to Singapore, with a transit stop at Bangkok...
        This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

What is the Thai King thinking?

I am wondering what is the Thai King thinking? The PAD protestors kept on saying they r doing this for the King.

With some words from him to protestors to 'tone down' their protests, and to tell them that their actions are destroying the county, I am sure the situation will improve. However, the King has chosen to remain silent till now. This has given me the impression that the King or those close to the Royal family are sort of supporting the PAD or their protest behind the scene.

Comment

I think there's a bit of difference in opinion even within the family - the stance is generally not to meddle in politics, i.e. no comments made as the King is 'above' general affairs. Then recently there is speculation that due to Her Royal Highness Princess Galyani's attendance at the funeral of the PAD supporter, there could be more of a pro-anti government leaning (anti-govt does not equal anti-royal) then meets the eye.

Comment

Reports now say they've taken over the control tower. WHY ???.

They claim all this is for the good of the country, but this is going to scare tourists away, at a time when they could really do with them. Genius.

People are throwing hand grenades at them at the airport apparently.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                Reports now say they've taken over the control tower. WHY ???.

They claim all this is for the good of the country, but this is going to scare tourists away, at a time when they could really do with them. Genius.

People are throwing hand grenades at them at the airport apparently.
                PAD has stated they intend to close down BKK until the current government dissolves. This is not good news obviously

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2008...s_30089470.php

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                  ...due to Her Royal Highness Princess Galyani's attendance at the funeral of the PAD supporter...
                  I believe you mean Queen Sirikit's attendance.

Comment

Originally posted by Lie_flat_seatlover View Post
                    PAD has stated they intend to close down BKK until the current government dissolves. This is not good news obviously

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2008...s_30089470.php
                    I don't see anywhere in that article that claims they are not moving until he resigns ?. Although I wouldn't put it past this lot, as they really do seem to be that stupid.

I would imagine they will start to lose support doing stuff like this, as anyone with any intelligence (which rules out a large number of the PAD) realises this will really hurt Thailand, which is so reliant on tourism.

Comment

Originally posted by Coles View Post
                      I believe you mean Queen Sirikit's attendance.
                      Got my funerals mixed up, too many recently...

Comment

I hope the situation gets better soon.
                        Can't see this be good for the country.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                          I don't see anywhere in that article that claims they are not moving until he resigns ?. Although I wouldn't put it past this lot, as they really do seem to be that stupid.

I would imagine they will start to lose support doing stuff like this, as anyone with any intelligence (which rules out a large number of the PAD) realises this will really hurt Thailand, which is so reliant on tourism.
                          Sorry, it follows

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2008...s_30089430.php

Comment

Yes, many places now reporting it.

On a purely selfish note, I am beginning to have slight concerns about our trip to Bangkok for New Year. While 4 weeks is a long time, these idiots have shown they quite clearly with how long they stayed in the Parliament grounds (what a waste of time that has proved to be...) that they have nothing better to do so could well stay put. D*ckheads

I believe Thai ATC was located in the Suvarnabhumi control tower as well. What have they done about this, are a/c avoiding Thai airspace ?.

Comment

One question i have though - how on earth can the baht remain so strong in light of all these crises?

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                                One question i have though - how on earth can the baht remain so strong in light of all these crises?
                                I have no idea. It's continued getting stronger for a while, especially against the Pound.

Mind you, mud has been growing in value against the Pound recently...

Comment

Working...
                                X