Changes to PPS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CGK View Post
    I thought you have known all along? Or you think it's not that intriguing enough?
    I have known most things however, was under the impression that the I.T. implementation was still experiencing difficulties.

Comment

• Originally posted by Guy Betsy View Post
      Uh. I hate to add salt to the wounds...

But back in the days when I was QPP2 (yes, I was, believe it or not), I honestly didn't feel any difference with regular passengers on flights. I still had to waitlist for flights, I couldn't get the lowest class of service when booking economy class flights..

Whereas CX's elite levels - Gold and above, treated me better. For even Gold levels, I got guaranteed seats in economy class as long as I booked 72 hours prior to departure, and when I got Diamond, CX would guarantee any economy class fare as long as it's more than 24 hours prior departure. Not to mention guaranteed J class seats as well! I think SQ will only put you in Y even though you have a full fare!

Would SQ do this for me? Ha - no.

I got upgraded more often on CX too than I ever did on SQ as a PPS too.

So.. PPS may have been a 'club' for some, but I still don't know what all the fuss is all about. And myself having grown up in Singapore, should favour SQ more..

I do.. in my own ways. But I fly the airline that treats me better these days..
      (and it's not necessarily CX either )..
      Allow me to chime in as someone who himself concluded that PPS wasn't for him (though it would be nice if his employer's travel policy did allow him to gain PPS status ).

My experience as QPP proved to me just how targeted the program is. Not all people who can achieve PPS will appreciate PPS benefits.

So there isn't a guaranteed seat availability privilege. The near-miraculous waitlist-clearing capability of PPS status takes care of that. I found, to my pleasant surprise, that this holds for award seats as well. I was able to get award seats confirmed on the LHR-SIN route during the busy Christmas season. The confirmation more than made up for the period spent waiting for the waitlist to clear.

Op-ups? That has never been SQ's policy, so it's a phantom comparison. If you really like the random upgrades enough to strategize about them, then SQ isn't the right airline for you.

When I see people post that PPS is nothing special, it's perfectly legitimate in my eyes, precisely because PPS is a targeted program. Fall outside of the target segment (e.g., flyers who want to clear SQ waitlists; flyers who want a bump up in their lounge access as they wait for their flights; etc.), and you'll likely find PPS status over-hyped.

Fit the profile of the targeted segment, however, and PPS is a fantastic status to enjoy. My best long-haul Y experiences on SQ have been as a QPP, because the crew took the steps to make my flights extra special. Flying in J, I thought it was actually good that PPS made no difference. That meant those who could gun for PPS would have a great experience to recall when decision time came. Besides, PPS members in J would've obtained a headstart on the champagne, courtesy of their lounge privileges (if they were travelling from SIN).

Sadly, this last privilege seems to be one of those that are rumored to go.

I think the reactions on this thread are due to the fact that privileges beyond those afforded by the J BP (e.g., guest access to SKL even when travelling in Y) are, according to rumors , being slashed. The posters agree with the overall business objectives (cutting crowds at SKL, focusing on most profitable frequent flyers, etc.), but they disagree that the rumored changes -- higher qualification requirements coupled with fewer benefits -- need to be so draconian.
      Last edited by jjpb3; 13 March 2007, 02:13 AM. Reason: grammar etc.
      ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

• Originally posted by CGK View Post
        You should try CX for the sake of experience. And especially you are a BA Gold, why go for *A? (Unless you will fly a lot in *A as well)
        Judging from the past 12 months, I don't fly *A at all (other than to get status ) but after my moment of weakness/doubt earlier today, I've come to the conclusion that I'll stick to my original plan of SQ F (and, incidentally, requalifying for PPS until August 2008) simply because it IS SQ F. CX can wait until the next trip...

Comment

• Originally posted by jhm View Post
          Judging from the past 12 months, I don't fly *A at all (other than to get status ) but after my moment of weakness/doubt earlier today, I've come to the conclusion that I'll stick to my original plan of SQ F (and, incidentally, requalifying for PPS until August 2008) simply because it IS SQ F. CX can wait until the next trip...
          I forgot that you would have till this August for your renewal. I should say, agree, just take SQ F and try to do the new F seats and in the mean time you will have another year of being *G. Who knows, perhaps you will take SQ Y one of those trips, and would be able to use SKL at LHR at least. (Unless further benefit reduction would happen)

Comment

• Using the SKL at LHR ?

Comment

• Okay, may be not the best one! After all, we don't know yet what will happen with the new exclusive PPS Club regarding VS Clubhouse.

Comment

• Confirmation (albeit without any details) of changes to the PPS program published this morning on Channel NewsAsia:

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...263620/1/.html

Comment

• Originally posted by TerryK View Post
                  We need another secret thread for the real scope.
                  No need now.
                  Hope you all read the link given by crazycrab955:

Channel News Asia

Started with this:

TODAY has learnt that Singapore Airlines (SIA) is re-looking its exclusive Priority Passenger Service (PPS) Club and may make it more difficult for air travellers to qualify for this elite list and the privileges that come with membership.
                  The key words: make it more difficult and privileges. More difficult - devalued benefits. And I am not kidding about my signature right?
                  I will be known forever as a Life PPS dreamer.

The wounded,

Last edited by CGK; 13 March 2007, 08:54 AM.

Comment

• Well, we knew it was more than a rumor, and it is only a matter of time until they come out with the official news.

We did scoop Channel NewsAsia, though.

Comment

• Still awaiting the real scoop.

Members of our PPS Club can expect to receive communications from us sometime in the next week to ten days.

Comment

• Originally posted by MovieMan View Post
                        Maybe that reporter got his info from here

Comment

• Originally posted by MovieMan View Post
                          Well, we knew it was more than a rumor, and it is only a matter of time until they come out with the official news.

Originally posted by TerryK View Post
                          Still awaiting the real scoop.
                          Well, should we all read post #1 again?
                          Oh, yes, more surprises to come.

Let me be a

Comment

• Originally posted by Savage25 View Post
                            Maybe that reporter got his info from here
                            May be...
                            Or else, from inside SQ? Remember the words: elite, exclusive, "treated like a god." Sounds like a PR job to me.

Comment

• One last year as PPS and that's it for me, back to UA.
                              Last edited by Bon; 13 March 2007, 09:19 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bon View Post
                                From a Singapore Newspaper:

Priority perks for fewer SIA flyers
                                Yup. News is seeping out.

Originally posted by CGK View Post
                                Or else, from inside SQ?
                                Isn't that where we got it from??

Comment

Working...
                                X