Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Type of Seats in the Refurbished 773s (77A / 73A)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by zvezda View Post
    It doesn't make sense to me to configure the 777-300s for a more premium regional product than the A330-300s, which are already very premium compared to the regional 777s. If I were SQ, the difference between the 777-300 and the A330-300 would be capacity (and range).
    I see the situation very differently. The markets that the planes are replacing are vastly different, even if the stage lengths are roughly the same. The A330's are replacing regional 772's on long routes to secondary cities in Australia/Japan that were too far to send the Ultimo seats. SQ were not competitive on these routes against airlines like QF who send the Skybed to SIN.

On the other hand, routes like SIN and MEL have historically been served with longhaul equipment (aircraft, seats, catering) because a different market demands the premium product. SQ has extended this to India and China by sending the 77W's. For anyone who flies paid C between these places, a downgrade to the new regional business class seat would be bad and I think SQ will try and mitigate this by making it wider and more spacious through a 2-2-2 config, especially if the numbers given (50 J) were correct.

Comment

• Originally posted by mec View Post
      So there is still a chance that your guesses could be wrong?
      Always.

Originally posted by daron4000 View Post
      I see the situation very differently. The markets that the planes are replacing are vastly different, even if the stage lengths are roughly the same. The A330's are replacing regional 772's on long routes to secondary cities in Australia/Japan that were too far to send the Ultimo seats. SQ were not competitive on these routes against airlines like QF who send the Skybed to SIN.

On the other hand, routes like SIN and MEL have historically been served with longhaul equipment (aircraft, seats, catering) because a different market demands the premium product. SQ has extended this to India and China by sending the 77W's. For anyone who flies paid C between these places, a downgrade to the new regional business class seat would be bad and I think SQ will try and mitigate this by making it wider and more spacious through a 2-2-2 config, especially if the numbers given (50 J) were correct.
      The new regional business class is nicer than the SpaceBeds SQ are still using for long-haul.

SQ may continue to use long-haul aircraft for premium mid-haul markets. I do note though that SQ also use 777-300s for OZ, together with the long-haul products.

Comment

• I saw 9V-SYD in the hangar today. It was in full colours. Dunno why it was in though ?

Comment

• Originally posted by SQJunkie View Post
          does anyone (zvezda?) know how long it takes to refit the 777-300 to the new product?
          This video shows how many days are involved in a cabin refit. Of course, the first one always takes longer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8nO-w9Iz2Y

Comment

• Great video. It just seems such a shame United did all that and didn't do up the back for us Y flyers, boohoo.
            My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

• Originally posted by sqdazz View Post
              Great video. It just seems such a shame United did all that and didn't do up the back for us Y flyers, boohoo.
              The main issue was weight. IFE systems are heavy. Still, I agree with you, I think it was a bad move on UA's part. The smart passengers will fly on their foreign competitors.

Comment

The main issue was weight. IFE systems are heavy. Still, I agree with you, I think it was a bad move on UA's part. The smart passengers will fly on their foreign competitors.
                The smart passenger will usually fly who is the cheapest.

Funnily enough from Aus-USA, United is now rarely the cheapest

I know my travel agent will not recommend United anymore

Comment

This video shows how many days are involved in a cabin refit. Of course, the first one always takes longer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8nO-w9Iz2Y
                  Thank you zvezda
                  I think I counted 3 days....!

SQ must have encountered major design issues in the refit.
                  That must be why it's taking so long.
                  Or SQ wants to give us the perfect product.

/end of mood swings.
                  F all the way. Settle for J. Usually whY. Sigh.

Comment

• Originally posted by FlyBoy View Post
                    The smart passenger will usually fly who is the cheapest.

Funnily enough from Aus-USA, United is now rarely the cheapest

I know my travel agent will not recommend United anymore
                    Or maybe, the best value for money.

Back on topic now....

Comment

• On the SIA Cargo site it is telling me, as from tomorrow 15/07/09 flights SQ231 and SQ232 SIN-SYD-SIN are to be serviced with the a/c 73A.

Is 73A the code to be used for the refurbished 773's? SIA Cargo has the explaination as 777-300A.

If so we should see the refurbished a/c from tomorrow.

SQ238.

Comment

• To answer my own question above, the SIA booking site is telling me those flights are 77W from tomorrow.

I'm not really sure why there would be a difference on both sites, maybe the 77W will be replaced with the 73A when they are ready.

SQ238.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ238 View Post
                          On the SIA Cargo site it is telling me, as from tomorrow 15/07/09 flights SQ231 and SQ232 SIN-SYD-SIN are to be serviced with the a/c 73A.

Is 73A the code to be used for the refurbished 773's? SIA Cargo has the explaination as 777-300A.

If so we should see the refurbished a/c from tomorrow.

SQ238.
                          0% chance of seeing any change until the 22JUL. SQ231/232 is still operated by the 772 until 21JUL.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ238 View Post
                            To answer my own question above, the SIA booking site is telling me those flights are 77W from tomorrow.

I'm not really sure why there would be a difference on both sites, maybe the 77W will be replaced with the 73A when they are ready.

SQ238.
                            The schedules on sq.com show SQ231 is a 77W on Thursday 16 Jul (Fri early morning) and back to 772 till 22 July.

There was a mention somewhere about the reason for this one-off but I can't find it now.....

Comment

• Singapore Airlines Launches B777 Cabin Renewal Programme

Singapore Airlines Launches B777 Cabin Renewal Programme

16 July 2009

Singapore Airlines has launched an aircraft cabin retrofit programme that will see new interior products introduced on some of its Boeing 777s from later this month.

In maintaining a focus on service, innovation and product leadership, an initial batch of seven B777-300s will be refitted with the Airline’s most recent cabin offerings.

The Airline intends to extend the programme at a later date to more B777 aircraft, details of which will be announced when plans are firmed up.

Last edited by Singapore_Air; 16 July 2009, 06:21 PM.

Comment

• incredible that Melbourne is not on the schedule this year!!
                                My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

Working...
                                X