The premium you'd pay for SQ, particulary in the front cabins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
    Is that the engineer's mind that mrs nickbot finds so irresistible? I'm lovin' the thinking. (Given how nice Changi is, the transit at SIN and the additional hours for SIN-BKK are also pretty trivial to me. )
    Thanks jjpb3,...it may well be the mind, 'cos this engineer's body isn't up to much

The transit at Changi and additional hours for SIN-BKK are, of course, a bonus rather than a chore!

Comment

I realized that ANA charges more taxes than SQ, for routes SIN-NRT and if you price them out, more often then not, ANA prices tend to be higher.

Comment

Originally posted by kapitan View Post
        ... also QF charges more tax then SQ??
        QF is one of the worst in the industry when it comes to fuel fines (let's call a spade a spade hey), up there with LH though perhaps not quite as bad as MH or JL.
        All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by taipeiflyer View Post
          i'm confused about what you are exactly trying to point out 9V-SIA? just because SQ may be the most well-known example of superior in-flight service, does NOT mean they are the only example. furthermore, in reading thru all of the posts, i did not come across one negative comment about BR or MH, which was my point in my post. please clarify.
          Sorry Taipeiflyer, the point I was trying to make is that I will choose an airline run along the lines of SQ, MH, BR, CX, NH, JL over a budget airline regardless of how much more I had to pay.

Did I leave anyone out?

I love BR. When SQ stopped EE to EWR, I was comparing my options for 1 stop flights to EWR and it would have been my choice if not for the 3 times a week schedule and short 1 hour connection time in TPE.

It is the fastest 1 stop....I like fast cars and fast flights. How's the Cayman S?

Decided to stay with SQ SIN-EWR for PPS requalification purposes

Comment

For me, it highly depends on the purpose of the travel and the mood.
            There is no question that SQ is still the best in the sky (IMHO). But I won't hesitate to fly BR J again sometimes since it offers a value so irresistible I started questioning whether I am stupid for having regularly paid double to fly SQ J.
            However, on some routes SQ can be inexpensive compared to the competition. I won't mention routes for the risk of giving ideas to the bean counters at SQ to raise the prices.

Comment

Originally posted by StarG View Post
              But I won't hesitate to fly BR J again sometimes since it offers a value so irresistible I started questioning whether I am stupid for having regularly paid double to fly SQ J.
              I think it is interesting that I can fly SFO-HKG-SFO on SQ1/SQ2 in Y for virtually the same price I paid 13 years ago.

J class, however, is another matter, with the lowest available price at around $6400.

I think to some degree SQ (and CX for that matter) will charge what the traffic will bear.

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
                And they make money?

On a regular basis?
                I'm not quite sure where this comes into the equation when deciding on which airline to use. I could care less whether an airlines makes money or not, that's nothing to do with me. All I look at is how much I am quoted for a particular trip then use my own judgement as to whether I think it's value for money and book accordingly.

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                MH's past losses had nothing to do with pricing per se. Just plain old hand-in-the-till stuff.

Today, I'd say they were in much better shape. And yes, they're very good too.
                Absolutely spot on.

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
                I mean branding.

Of all the airlines that could be cited for superior service, they pick SQ.

SQ has been very successful in positioning themselves as a brand, when airlines are actually a commodity.

I could drive a Korean car. But I drive a German one. Both will get me from A to B. But branding...and an involving drive. Premium paid.
                Interesting idea. However, the only brand I am interested in is one I can wear.

I can't 'wear' SQ so I'll just have to judge them on whether I think they offer value for money, or not as the case may be.

Originally posted by taipeiflyer View Post
                i think you are basically confirming what i have been saying. SQ is the most well-known example of superior in-flight service, which is what i had mentioned. the same way that a bmw is a well-known example of being the ultimate driving machine. but you could find cheaper alternatives both with regards to on the raod, and in the air, that would provide a very, very enjoyable experience. on the road- toyota and honda are both excellent examples, especially with respect to their luxury nameplates. in the air- well, i have already mentioned two examples. i am not in any way undermining the quality of SQ... the amount of money i have spent out of my own pocket on their metal is testament to my opinion of them, but i am also saying that just because they are the most expensive, doesn't mean that other airlines can not provide service with similar aplomb without digging as deep of a hole into your wallet or purse.
                I can't argue with any of that.

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                One was a redeye (CMB-BKK) on what was an ancient plane (A300 I have down ?) in what felt like cramped conditions more akin to Y.
                That's the infamous AB6. Dreadful aircraft, and way past it's sell by date.

Comment

Originally posted by wsssaero View Post
                  SQ is not always the most expensive. I did checks on fares for a few airlines (SQ, CX, UA) to HKG in December (Y Class). Turns out that SQ is actually the cheapest. (comparing only the lowest fare quoted online at the respective airline websites).
                  Yeah, and SQ gives absolutely no miles to whatever programme whatsoever.

On another note, I recently flew on MH longhaul and was totally impressed with their inflight product. Their satay is better than SQ's too, but we already knew that!

Comment

For me, it must be the suave marketing and PR but I'd pay the extra for an SQ ticket rather than other airlines of the same fare class.

If I could afford >$10,000 for a ticket on a regular basis, I'd go for the R Class whenever possible!

I'm definitely a loyal supporter of SQ but I'd definitely want to try Qatar's and Cathay's products as well

Comment

Working...
                    X