Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The premium you'd pay for SQ, particulary in the front cabins

Originally posted by kapitan View Post
    Long hual on TG, which then make it about S$3k cheaper......

Tough decision, practicality vs accumulating PPSV for next qualification.....
    I've just done several sectors on TG J. By my own reckoning, I value / or am prepared to pay a 40-50% discount to SQ J, taking into account:

a) poor (consistently impersonal) service,
    b) non-full flat seats,
    c) barely edible food,
    d) likelihood of delays (2 out of my 6 sectors were delayed),
    e) likelihood of equipment changes (to seriously ratty a/c & seating).

So YMMV, but at the end of the day, you get what you pay for.

Originally posted by milehighj View Post

Totally agree

I think if enough consumers decide that price were the only determining factor in choosing an airline to fly, SQ will have to respond to survive.

Complain about cost cutting on SQ now?

Hah! Eventually SQ will become a American style airline if that is what the market demands

By flying SQ, I am voting with my wallet... that this is the standard to which I would like to fly and be treated

And so ends my (Singapore) National Day speech

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
      And so ends my (Singapore) National Day speech
      Has it changed from 9 August ?!?

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
        Has it changed from 9 August ?!?
        I'm sorry... you're right of course.

9 August is the actual date.

But when I hear "Stand Up for Singapore" on the telly, I have to...stand up

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
          But when I hear "Stand Up for Singapore" on the telly, I have to...stand up
          Ah yes, old favouries like that and the others mentioned here:

http://www.singsingapore.org.sg/songs.asp

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
            Ah yes, old favouries like that and the others mentioned here:

http://www.singsingapore.org.sg/songs.asp
            And my very favorite is Home sang by Kit Chan,....

For many years I was away from home, when the song was one of the theme songs of ND, I was away but heard it somehow when I return. Brought a tear to my eyes.... saw one recorded parade where she sang the song live... my eyes teared again.... glad I am home...

My National Day speech......
            This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

On similar equipment I'd pay around 20% more for SQ, but on better equipment perhaps up to 40% more. Definitely not 100% more... how's everyone else's thinking?

Comment

Originally posted by milehighj View Post

a) poor (consistently impersonal) service,
                b) non-full flat seats,
                c) barely edible food,
                d) likelihood of delays (2 out of my 6 sectors were delayed),
                e) likelihood of equipment changes (to seriously ratty a/c & seating).

My opinion:

a) they are consistently inconsistent. Capable of great service at times, but too often crews can't be bothered. Shame.

b) did you have their old J seats ?. Their current seat is not bad and around par for the current slopey seats most airlines offer. I prefer the SpaceBed but only because I know it so well now I can get reasonably comfortable in it. I wouldn't say the TG seat is too far behind. Of course SQ's new JCL flat seat is in a different league altogether.

c) Yep, had that too. Like the service, very hit and miss.

d) I've been quite lucky with timings on TG and can't remember ever having a major problem, although I have seen the reports of the recent delays.

e) Big problem with TG. All airlines do it to some extent, and SQ have been at it this year. But this is TG's speciality.

With the quality of the hospitality industry in the country they could be the best airline in the world if they made the effort. They suffer from as much political interference as MH but MH still manage to provide top notch on board service, right up at the top of the tree with SQ.

You do indeed get what you pay for and it's all about weighing up how much more it's worth paying. SQ are still probably out on their own at the moment, but they are starting to go so high that it's worth cosidering other options. They are certainly worth paying a certain amount more for, but you sometimes reach a point when you have to look around.

I've flown with MH and QR recently and have really enjoyed both. Granted MH's 734's should have been put out of their misery years ago, but like TG's AB6's you can tolerate them for short flights.

I was put off QR for a while mainly due to DOH itself. However, the lack of a proper terminal there probably actually works in their favour in a way as you get driven straight from and to the aircraft and get dropped off at and picked up from the premium terminal if you are in J (or F!). Notwithstanding the fact that remote gates are not usually much fun, I've never had to queue at security at DOH.
                Last edited by MAN Flyer; 8 August 2008, 06:22 AM.

Comment

From the way I blink when I see the LHR-SIN return fares, I'd say my personal threshold is between 20-30% for long-haul J of that length. Clearly I wouldn't be a target customer for SQ .

For Y on that same journey, I'd say a £150-200 premium for SQ over BA/QF isn't unreasonable for me.
                  ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

milehighj- you are using but one example. there are several airlines that are offering service that is nearly on par with SQ. For example, on lax-tpe routes, BR and MH are both substantially cheaper than SQ J, with service that is very similar to that of SQ. saying you get what you pay for does not hold up very well to any litmus test when you cite but one example.

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                      For Y on that same journey, I'd say a £150-200 premium for SQ over BA/QF isn't unreasonable for me.
                      Too true,...I've had discussions with colleagues in the past who are booking holidays to Thailand and are planning on taking the lower cost option (i.e. TG Y). I ask them as an exercise to break down the £150 on an hourly basis, i.e. £150/2=£75 per leg, over 12 hours per leg for example is a £6.25 per hour premium for flying SQ. IMHO, KrisWorld is worth that alone I ask them to imagine being sat in a TG Y seat with no PTV at 40,000 feet, and at that point their willingness to pay for personal entertainment (not forgetting the excellent SQ service) would probably be a great deal more than £6.25 per hour

Comment

Originally posted by taipeiflyer View Post
                        milehighj- you are using but one example. there are several airlines that are offering service that is nearly on par with SQ. For example, on lax-tpe routes, BR and MH are both substantially cheaper than SQ J, with service that is very similar to that of SQ. saying you get what you pay for does not hold up very well to any litmus test when you cite but one example.
                        Very good point, taipeiflyer. The premium will definitely depend on the route, because the competing alternatives are different.

I suspect that on the routes where SQ and TG are two of the main options, TG will be whacked with a price discount because of their inconsistency in product and service ... and TG would do well to pay attention to the preferences of flyers like milehighj.

Now I really want to try BR and MH, the latter particularly because SQfg has been such an articulate advocate, and the former because of taipeiflyer.
                        Last edited by jjpb3; 8 August 2008, 06:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nickbot View Post
                          Too true,...I've had discussions with colleagues in the past who are booking holidays to Thailand and are planning on taking the lower cost option (i.e. TG Y). I ask them as an exercise to break down the £150 on an hourly basis, i.e. £150/2=£75 per leg, over 12 hours per leg for example is a £6.25 per hour premium for flying SQ. IMHO, KrisWorld is worth that alone I ask them to imagine being sat in a TG Y seat with no PTV at 40,000 feet, and at that point their willingness to pay for personal entertainment (not forgetting the excellent SQ service) would probably be a great deal more than £6.25 per hour
                          Is that the engineer's mind that mrs nickbot finds so irresistible? I'm lovin' the thinking. (Given how nice Changi is, the transit at SIN and the additional hours for SIN-BKK are also pretty trivial to me. )

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                            Now I really want to try BR and MH, the latter particularly because SQfg has been such an articulate advocate, and the former because of taipeiflyer.
                            IMHO, I do believe MH is great at the premium cabin and their fares can be ridiculously cheap from some destinations. But at the cattle class, it's a whole different story, substandard catering, no amenities (if I'm not wrong, I'm getting senile these days ), and lack of menus. Not to mention their surcharge are so freaking expensive, even though the fares are quite competitive.

Comment

Originally posted by taipeiflyer View Post
                              And they make money?

On a regular basis?

Airlines are not charities and while competition lead to low fares, something has to give eventually.

Look at what competition has done to US carriers

I don't want that kind of a/c or service when I fly...

All I'm saying is that in the battle between the forces of good vs cheap, I'm in the former camp

Comment

Working...
                              X