No announcement yet.

PUS-DEL-PVG CX J cheaper than SQ Y (?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PUS-DEL-PVG CX J cheaper than SQ Y (?)

I have an upcoming trip in Jan '09 as follows:

PUS - DEL, then a week later DEL - PVG
    then return to PUS fm PVG (this'll be with OZ)

- CX web quotes 3,500 US dollars in J (they fly from PUS as well, which suits me better)
    - SQ web quotes 4,900 US dollars in Y (and the PUS-ICN portion is not included, as they fly off ICN...)

Travel agent says SQ have yet to publish J/F fares for Jan '09, however couple of weeks ago SQ web quoted around USD 6,200 for J and 7,300 for F class.

I knew SQ was expensive compared to other carriers, and have put up with it by choice so far, but this is getting out of control!

Last edited by N_Architect; 4 July 2008, 07:26 PM. Reason: added pics, corrected text

Take any route, compare full-fare Y of one carrier vs J of another and you'll most often find the Y more expensive. There's nothing about being "out of control" here. SQ probably hasn't filed their discounted Y fares yet.

Comment

Or even the same airline, e.g. BA's totally inflexible business class I-fares usually cost less than BA's fully flexible economy class Y-fares.

Comment

Originally posted by Savage25 View Post
        Take any route, compare full-fare Y of one carrier vs J of another and you'll most often find the Y more expensive. There's nothing about being "out of control" here. SQ probably hasn't filed their discounted Y fares yet.
        On CX, "J" is full fare followed by C, D and I...

Comment

or could be bad luck - airlines block inventory when shuffling schedules, maybe if you look again it is back to normal

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi View Post
            or could be bad luck - airlines block inventory when shuffling schedules, maybe if you look again it is back to normal
            true, they had indeed blocked inventory temporarily (but also adjusted the fuel surcharge...)

CX now quotes circa usd 3,300 J
            SQ usd 6,700 J () and 8,003 F ()

I'd love to fly with the 77W to DEL on F, but paying an extra 5k for a 5-6 hr flight is quite a bit

A330 is not my favorite bird, but CX's 2-2-2 config in J looks fine for this price so I may give in...
            Last edited by N_Architect; 4 July 2008, 07:26 PM. Reason: typo correction

Comment

I prefer SQ, but when CX is dramatically cheaper, offers a nonstop flight vs a connection on SQ, or better fits my schedule, then I choose CX. That happened once last year.

Comment

I also prefer SQ, and was hoping the price difference wouldn't be so much.
                In addition, CX schedule fits better (fly off PUS on KA instead of ICN, time of departure from DEL), plane to DEL & PVG has 2-2-2 config in J, plus that I get the opportunity to visit HKG (see friends, visit my tailor).

On the other hand, making this booking on SQ gets me PPS status, but I've come to the conclusion that you should always fly what fits your budget without of course being forced to sacrifice too much.

Getting points and status is good, being practical is better.

Comment

Latest update:

CX $ 3,300 (usd, that is);
                  SQ $ 6,600 (but it includes an additional PVG-PUS segment on C class with OZ, plus the fact that 3 out of the 4 segments are with the 77W).

All quoted through my TA in PUS.

Comment

Now that I'm newly minted PPS

my strategy is to give SQ their pound of flesh ( $25k per year on J )

and bargain hunt the best fares for my other trips.

CX $3,300 vs SQ$6,600 is hard to ignore. Old plane, old seats account for price difference

It is CX. But I wouldn't fly a third world airline at any price

Comment

Long trip coming up for me....
                      SQ 026 13AUG Singapore(Changi) - Frankfurt(Frankfurt Intl) 2350 0630+1 OK
                      LH 4572 14AUG Frankfurt(Frankfurt Intl) - Brussels(National) 0915 1010 OK
                      KF 555 19AUG Helsinki(Helsinki Vantaa) - London(Heathrow) 1255 1405 OK
                      LH 4725 22AUG London(Heathrow) - Frankfurt(Frankfurt Intl) 0950 1220 OK
                      LH 344 22AUG Frankfurt(Frankfurt Intl) - Bremen(Bremen) 1320 1415 OK
                      LH 365 25AUG Bremen(Bremen) - Munich(Franz J Strauss) 1100 1215 OK
                      LH 3018 25AUG Munich(Franz J Strauss) - Stockholm(Arlanda) 1315 1520 OK
                      SK 1589 27AUG Stockholm(Arlanda) - Brussels(National) 1620 1830 OK
                      SQ 321 30AUG London(Heathrow) - Singapore(Changi) 2205 1755+1 OK
                      Fare: SGD12715+TXS SGD1290

SQ on long hual and mixture of *alliance on EU.....

Then the other option is;
                      TG 410 13AUG Singapore(Changi) - Bangkok(Suvarnabhumi Intl) 2040 2200 OK
                      TG 920 13AUG Bangkok(Suvarnabhumi Intl) - Frankfurt(Frankfurt Intl) 2345 0600+1 OK
                      LH 4572 14AUG Frankfurt(Frankfurt Intl) - Brussels(National) 0915 1010 OK - economy class
                      KF 555 19AUG Helsinki(Helsinki Vantaa) - London(Heathrow) 1255 1405 OK - economy class
                      LH 4725 22AUG London(Heathrow) - Frankfurt(Frankfurt Intl) 0950 1220 OK - economy class
                      LH 344 22AUG Frankfurt(Frankfurt Intl) - Bremen(Bremen) 1320 1415 OK - economy class
                      LH 365 25AUG Bremen(Bremen) - Munich(Franz J Strauss) 1100 1215 OK - economy class
                      LH 3018 25AUG Munich(Franz J Strauss) - Stockholm(Arlanda) 1315 1520 OK - economy clas
                      SK 1589 27AUG Stockholm(Arlanda) - Brussels(National) 1620 1830 OK
                      TG 911 30AUG London(Heathrow) - Bangkok(Suvarnabhumi Intl) 1230 0605+1 OK
                      TG 403 31AUG Bangkok(Suvarnabhumi Intl) - Singapore(Changi) 0800 1115 Waitlist
                      TG 413 31AUG Bangkok(Suvarnabhumi Intl) - Singapore(Changi) 1110 1425 OK
                      Fare: SGD9228+TXS SGD1885

Long hual on TG, which then make it about S$3k cheaper......

Tough decision, practicality vs accumulating PPSV for next qualification.....
                      This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
                        Now that I'm newly minted PPS
                        congrats - will join same boat in approx 8 wks...

my strategy is to give SQ their pound of flesh ( $25k per year on J )
                        and bargain hunt the best fares for my other trips.
                        What I plan to do as well.

CX $3,300 vs SQ$6,600 is hard to ignore. Old plane, old seats account for price difference
                        Yes, but still I tend towards the SQ booking at the moment, to be honest.

But I wouldn't fly a third world airline at any price
                        Of course. No question about that.

Originally posted by kapitan View Post
                        Long trip coming up for me....
                        Long indeed...

SQ on long hual and mixture of *alliance on EU.....
                        Agree. Would do exactly the same here.

Long hual on TG, which then make it about S$3k cheaper......
                        And company is paying, right? Hmmm, there should be a way for you to proceed forward and safely with option #1, I hope...

Comment

Originally posted by N_Architect View Post
                          And company is paying, right? Hmmm, there should be a way for you to proceed forward and safely with option #1, I hope...
                          Yes, have actually also ask TA to change so that I depart to Zurich instead of FRA;

SQ 346 14AUG Singapore(Changi) - Zurich(Zurich) 0105 0745 OK
                          LX 778 14AUG Zurich(Zurich) - Brussels(National) 0910 1025 OK

Then return from LHR with the A380;

SQ 317 30AUG London(Heathrow) - Singapore(Changi) 1155 0745+1 Waitlist

It will be even more expensive, add another 1747, so that will make it nearly 5k more expensive then TG.....

I have a lot of explanation to do very soon, but then I am going for 5 assignments in EU this time, so the whole airfare will be divided into 5, put it into the budget of each assignment........

Comment

Then return from LHR with the A380;
                            Am I right if I assume this will be your first on the A380? If yes, pls post just a very brief note (a couple of lines max) on the noise level and on the J seat difference compared to the 77W, if you can.

I have a lot of explanation to do very soon, but then I am going for 5 assignments in EU this time, so the whole airfare will be divided into 5, put it into the budget of each assignment........
                            As smb said (was it Benjamin Franklin? not sure...) "Never explain and never complain." I hope a short statement to your mgt will suffice (5 jobs is quite a bit...)

Comment

Originally posted by N_Architect View Post
                              Am I right if I assume this will be your first on the A380? If yes, pls post just a very brief note (a couple of lines max) on the noise level and on the J seat difference compared to the 77W, if you can.
                              If I book the flight, it will be second time on A380 from LHR.... I did a TR here before on the flight,

http://www.sqtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4470

It was quiet enough to hear footsteps during my sleep....

Comment

Working...
                              X