No announcement yet.

New carryon weight limits on SQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Come to think of it, isn't it all these time the rules were there? Perhaps someone can look up the old book.

Perhaps, SQ has followed the other discussions here in SQTalk. And many has asked for CONSISTENCY. And yes, you get it now for this carry-on bag rule. When SQ was lenient, we all have taken it for granted, and always had a "consistency" desire.

Comment

I am sure SQ follows SQTalk to certain extent.
      We just don't know how much.

The cabin baggage rule has been around since a long time. And yes, so far SQ has been quite lenient on that part (in other words, consistently lenient).

During this entire thread only one person, Savage25 has reported an unusual experience. IMHO, it is too early to draw the conclusion that SQ is now enforcing the cabin baggage policy that has been around for ages.

Even IF they now want to start enforcing the cabin baggage rules, it does not bother me much because I almost always have check in baggage. Of course, for other frequent travelers like MAN Flyer or Kiwi this might not be the case and it will mean that they will have to start bringing a check-in luggage. Perhaps bring five suits for that weeklong trip instead of trying to make do with two to travel with just cabin baggage, etc.

For me, I am more worried about the staff (cabin crew or check in staff) fully understanding what is allowed and what is not. In Savage25's experience, there was lack of understanding.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ LPP View Post
        Perhaps, SQ has followed the other discussions here in SQTalk. And many has asked for CONSISTENCY. And yes, you get it now for this carry-on bag rule. When SQ was lenient, we all have taken it for granted, and always had a "consistency" desire.
        I think SQTalkers wanted consistently enforced policies that were favorable to loyal premium flyers, no?

This one doesn't seem very friendly to business flyers at all. I can't see being able to pack my rollaboard to weigh 7 kg or less. I just weighed my laptop bag that contains purely work materials: it's already at 8.15 kg (love my digital scale ). My small (well below BAA limits) rollaboard, containing one day's worth of travel + some non-work clothes (jeans, casual shirt) + toiletries, weighs 8.75 kg. I think carryon baggage policies can cause business flyers to shift their travel pattern.

One consequence of this rule, as MAN Flyer points out, could be that business flyers pack more (to save on laundry) and incur more in fuel costs; check the bags in and get annoyed as they wait in baggage reclaim at outstations without Changi's efficiency; and on those occasions when the bags are left behind, cause SQ to call upon its lost baggage recovery process. I guess I'm just missing how this new enforcement solves more problems than it creates?

I like BA's approach (one of the few times I give the edge to my home carrier): check the size, and as long as the passenger can, unaided, lift it to the overhead compartment (so no burden to the cabin crew), it can go in.

In any case, if this particular policy were SQ's reaction to the posts that called for consistency -- well, what a tone-deaf response. Fortunately, although I think SQTalk is a valuable source of frequent flyers' feedback , I still hold out the hope that management has a more robust decision-making process than that.

EDIT TO ADD: As always, StarG is the voice of reason. Maybe Savage25's experience was an anomaly created by that overzealous IFS. Here's to hoping.
        ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
          I like BA's approach (one of the few times I give the edge to my home carrier): check the size, and as long as the passenger can, unaided, lift it to the overhead compartment (so no burden to the cabin crew), it can go in.
          Sounds good IMO. Perhaps limit the quantity to 2 or 1 piece (according to cabin class) & the check the size etc.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
            I saw that notice in todays PPS Newsletter.

If they start to enforce this, it will be really bad news for me.

I only travel with hand luggage on business trips these days, and have done for the last few years. When you're doing anything between 7 and 15 flights over a day 7-10 period, it's a no brainer. I think I've checked luggage a couple of times in my last 50 flights on SQ.

One of the great things about flying SQ in J or F and being QPP/TPP was the lack of grief by anyone about hand luggage. I don't have a problem with the size as my luggage is within gauge, it's the weight. I don't weigh my case and (up to now) never got asked too, but it will undoubtedly be over 7 kg. Now, if there is a safety aspect to all this I have no problem with that, as that is paramount. But it can't be as a number of the LCC's have a policy of 'If it goes in, it goes on', meaning if it's within gauge it's ok, regardless of weight.

What I suspect is, it's more to do with the cost of fuel at the moment, and again that's understandable. However, bearing in mind I don't ever check luggage, and I have a sizeable allowance being TPP in J or F (I have no idea what my entitlement is, but it's a damn sight more than what my hand luggage weighs...) then I am well 'in credit' when it comes to luggage allowance. In fact I must be a number of tonnes in credit over the last 3 or 4 years on SQ.

If they do start to weigh everyones luggage and make you check over 7 kg, I may as well check luggage as normal, in which case I will take more stuff as it's a lot easier than running around like a blue ar*ed fly and having to run up larger than normal laundry bills as I'm travelling light.

One to watch, for me in particular.
            Agree completely.

In my case I will have to have 2 carry-ons instead of 1, thus increasing the total weight carried. The other alternative is to travel less and/or on other airlines - multiple connections are unavoidable from this part of the world.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
              I saw that notice in todays PPS Newsletter.

If they start to enforce this, it will be really bad news for me.

I only travel with hand luggage on business trips these days, and have done for the last few years. When you're doing anything between 7 and 15 flights over a day 7-10 period, it's a no brainer. I think I've checked luggage a couple of times in my last 50 flights on SQ.

One of the great things about flying SQ in J or F and being QPP/TPP was the lack of grief by anyone about hand luggage. I don't have a problem with the size as my luggage is within gauge, it's the weight. I don't weigh my case and (up to now) never got asked too, but it will undoubtedly be over 7 kg. Now, if there is a safety aspect to all this I have no problem with that, as that is paramount. But it can't be as a number of the LCC's have a policy of 'If it goes in, it goes on', meaning if it's within gauge it's ok, regardless of weight.

What I suspect is, it's more to do with the cost of fuel at the moment, and again that's understandable. However, bearing in mind I don't ever check luggage, and I have a sizeable allowance being TPP in J or F (I have no idea what my entitlement is, but it's a damn sight more than what my hand luggage weighs...) then I am well 'in credit' when it comes to luggage allowance. In fact I must be a number of tonnes in credit over the last 3 or 4 years on SQ.

If they do start to weigh everyones luggage and make you check over 7 kg, I may as well check luggage as normal, in which case I will take more stuff as it's a lot easier than running around like a blue ar*ed fly and having to run up larger than normal laundry bills as I'm travelling light.

One to watch, for me in particular.
              DITTO.........

Comment

Originally posted by StarG View Post
                IMHO, it is too early to draw the conclusion that SQ is now enforcing the cabin baggage policy that has been around for ages.
                When you call SQ's toll free reservation # (answered by India call center), they will remind you each time one calls on the baggage policy. This wasnt the case before....

Again, it will be great if someone is able to post additional feedback based on their recent flights in F or J over the past week or so.

Cheers.

Comment

Just came back from BKK last Sunday via SQ. Our check-in baggage is 60kg for 2 person. I was worried till death when I see the weighing scale.

To my surprise, the ground crew just issue us the ticket and wishing us a nice trip.

Comment

Originally posted by Mousehunt View Post
                    Our check-in baggage is 60kg for 2 person.
                    Isn't this thread about Carry-On Weight Limits?
                    HUGE AL

Comment

Oh...... I see......... I have tune to the wrong frequency..........

Comment

Hahahaha no worries...
                        HUGE AL

Comment

Hello, anyone else that has flown recently and is able to provide feedback on how strict SQ is on enforcing 7kg for carry-on? Cheers!

Comment

They couldn't be bothered with our flight. However, if you are carrying something super huge or bulky and raise their eyebrow, then that is a different story.

My wife and me carry-in is definitely more than 7kg.

Comment

Come on guys! The more you talk about this 7kg listed on paper, the more chance that SQ would get ticked off by you, and to start the enforcement.
                              When the crew did not do any carry-on police, this would make them like a lazy group. Give us a break.
                              Look at other airlines. I just saw LX has 8kg posted in their printed information. We know all LX is very strict with carry-on (ask one particular SQTalker around here who swore not to take LX anymore in Y ). But so far my experience it really depends on the load of that particular flight, how big is your bag, what aircraft used, how you present yourself when carrying your bag.

Perhaps once in a while, we experienced a strict crew. Like once in a while, I would find a no greetings IFS on board. But so far, I have my 20" Tumi rollabag with a computer bag while traveling on SQ, and had no problem with it. And it should be that way, because those two bags had no problem on other airlines as well, such as LH, LX, BA, AC, CX, NH, NZ (long haul).

In short, hope no change of the current practice regarding carry-on bags onboard SQ. It is our own responsibility to be sensible and responsible, as well as considerate when taking our carry-ons on board.

Cheers!

Comment

Well said, SQ LPP!
                                HUGE AL

Comment

Working...
                                X