No announcement yet.

New carryon weight limits on SQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I see an implication here that SQ (like others) is trying to gather extra revenue on excess checked baggage.

Last week on SGN-SIN I had a suitcase (27 kg), a small welding machine (20 kg) and a set of golf clubs. Nudging 60 kg and at least 20 kg over *A allowance.

Supervisor called it quits and charged for 10 kg extra. Cheap freight for welder.

Comment

I've got no issues conforming to the limits for carry-on baggage, after all the limits are there for a reason. If all passengers exceeded their carry-on limit the overhead storage bins might exceed their specified carry load... probably not an issue normally but in an emergency who knows what might happen. I know I'd rather be on the save side...
      matt_will_fix_it

Comment

Originally posted by matt_will_fix_it View Post
        If all passengers exceeded their carry-on limit the overhead storage bins might exceed their specified carry load...
        The 77W in F doesn't even have overhead storage You have to store you luggage under the bench in front of your seat.

Comment

Originally posted by mmm View Post
          This whole being extremely picky on luggage weight (they lowered the allowance from 32 kg to 23 kg, now starting to check hand luggage) really pisses me off. Overall it is not a cheap economy flight, this is First Class. And _NO_ other airline is that picky (I've checked with them)
          I'm not sure where you've checked but many airlines limit weight per piece of checked luggage to 23kgs.

Comment

No problems with two carryons today ex-SIN in economy....thankfully.

Comment

Originally posted by matt_will_fix_it View Post
              I've got no issues conforming to the limits for carry-on baggage, after all the limits are there for a reason. If all passengers exceeded their carry-on limit the overhead storage bins might exceed their specified carry load... probably not an issue normally but in an emergency who knows what might happen. I know I'd rather be on the save side...
              We have all taken countless number of flights for the past several years. I have not once heard of an accidents on overhead storage bins due to their specified load. Again, I dont believe SQ is becoming more strict due to any recent accidents. Their rationality is for other reasons.

The issue here is that SQ has not been as strict as they are now. The issue also is that some F or C pax fly only with carry-on and even though they are "WELL BELOW" the required limits for "TOTAL" weight and luggage pieces, they now have to most likely check their carry-on even if they are carrying one piece (excl. laptop bag) if it weighs any more than 15lbs.........

cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ All The Way View Post
                I have not once heard of an accidents on overhead storage bins due to their specified load.
                I have seen fully loaded overhead bins (not the ones with my bags in them) open on landing maybe half-a-dozen times.

Comment

I don't know about SQ but as a result of this thread, I had a look at the overhead bin on my last flight (BA 744 upper deck). There's a notice on there which says that the maximum load is 18kg.

Comment

I'm pretty sure there is the note about the max weight limit on SQ aircraft as well.

I can understand been unhappy about having to re-pack if you were under the specified carry on allowance limit... but if you've exceeded the limit, no matter which class you're travelling, fair enough that you need to re-pack and check in some items.
                    matt_will_fix_it

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi View Post
                      I'm not sure where you've checked but many airlines limit weight per piece of checked luggage to 23kgs.
                      Thai Airways: 2 pieces, 32kg each (First, Business & Economy)
                      Cathay Pacific: 2 pieces, 32kg each (First, Business & Economy)
                      Lufthansa: 2 pieces, 32kg each (First, Business), 2 pieces, 23kg (Economy)
                      United: 2 pieces, 32kg each (First, Business), 2 pieces, 23kg (Economy)
                      Qantas: 2 pieces, 32kg each (First, Business & Economy)
                      Virgin Atlantic: 3 pieces, 32kg each (Business), 2 pieces, 32kg (Premium Economy), 2 pieces, 23kg (Economy)
                      Air New Zealand: 2 pieces, 32kg (Business), 2 pieces, 23kg (Economy)

BA has a 23kg limit, but allows premium passengers (First, Business) a third piece of luggage.

Comment

Originally posted by mmm View Post
                        BA has a 23kg limit, but allows premium passengers (First, Business) a third piece of luggage.
                        It's still 32kg until November 2008 (unless postponed again) and even then, you can check-in > 23 but <= 32 if you pay a flat fee of £25.

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...k/public/en_gb

Comment

We have all taken countless number of flights for the past several years. I have not once heard of an accidents on overhead storage bins due to their specified load. Again, I dont believe SQ is becoming more strict due to any recent accidents. Their rationality is for other reasons.

The issue here is that SQ has not been as strict as they are now. The issue also is that some F or C pax fly only with carry-on and even though they are "WELL BELOW" the required limits for "TOTAL" weight and luggage pieces, they now have to most likely check their carry-on even if they are carrying one piece (excl. laptop bag) if it weighs any more than 15lbs.........

cheers.
                          I've seen bins pop open upon landing and also in turbulence. Yes, even seen bags fall out of overhead bins in flight - they can do a lot of damage. Also, I guess the maximum loads are there for emergency situations which hopefully I'll never experience.

Comment

YIKES......

Cabin Baggage Allowance Members
                            Size and Dimensions
                            Under the SIA Cabin Baggage Policy, each passenger will be allowed the following:

Quantity : 1 piece *

Dimension : Length + Breadth + Height
                            (including protrusions) must not exceed 115 cm (45 inches) in total subject to stowability.

Weight : Up to 7 kgs

*First and Business Class passengers may be allowed two items, subject to local country specific requirements, specific aircraft cabin space and stowage availability.

The following are deemed to have constituted as one piece of cabin baggage:

Trolley Bag - 55 cm x 40 cm x 20 cm (22" x 16" x 8")

Garment Bag - Dimension not exceeding 115 cm (45") & Thickness not exceeding 20 cm (8")when folded

Briefcase - 50 cm by 40 cm by 25 cm (20"x 16" x 10")

Cheers.

Comment

YIKES......
                              <snip>
                              Yep, see also post #17.
                              ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

I saw that notice in todays PPS Newsletter.

If they start to enforce this, it will be really bad news for me.

I only travel with hand luggage on business trips these days, and have done for the last few years. When you're doing anything between 7 and 15 flights over a day 7-10 period, it's a no brainer. I think I've checked luggage a couple of times in my last 50 flights on SQ.

One of the great things about flying SQ in J or F and being QPP/TPP was the lack of grief by anyone about hand luggage. I don't have a problem with the size as my luggage is within gauge, it's the weight. I don't weigh my case and (up to now) never got asked too, but it will undoubtedly be over 7 kg. Now, if there is a safety aspect to all this I have no problem with that, as that is paramount. But it can't be as a number of the LCC's have a policy of 'If it goes in, it goes on', meaning if it's within gauge it's ok, regardless of weight.

What I suspect is, it's more to do with the cost of fuel at the moment, and again that's understandable. However, bearing in mind I don't ever check luggage, and I have a sizeable allowance being TPP in J or F (I have no idea what my entitlement is, but it's a damn sight more than what my hand luggage weighs...) then I am well 'in credit' when it comes to luggage allowance. In fact I must be a number of tonnes in credit over the last 3 or 4 years on SQ.

If they do start to weigh everyones luggage and make you check over 7 kg, I may as well check luggage as normal, in which case I will take more stuff as it's a lot easier than running around like a blue ar*ed fly and having to run up larger than normal laundry bills as I'm travelling light.

One to watch, for me in particular.

Comment

Working...
                                X