New carryon weight limits on SQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by StarG View Post
    So to sum up, is there a 'new' cabin baggage policy on SQ? As of today, the SQ website still states the existing policy (i.e., no change).
    I've not personally seen evidence of a new policy, or enforcement of the current regulations. However, as alluded to by another poster, given the current and rising cost of fuel, in general I would not be surprised to see airlines start to enforce weight allowances more stringently.

Comment

It isn't new, but the enforcement might be.

I read the rules
      Under the SIA Cabin Baggage Policy, each passenger will be allowed the following:
      • Quantity: 1 piece*
      • Dimension : Length + Breadth + Height (including protrusions) must not exceed 115 cm (45 inches) in total subject to stowability.
      • Weight : Up to 7 kgs

*First and Business Class passengers may be allowed two items, subject to local country specific requirements, specific aircraft cabin space and stowage availability.
      as saying that the total for the two bags is allowed to be 14 kg (which isn't too far from the 15 kg cited by OP). Economy class pax are allowed only up to 7 kg, not including the personal item, reading materials, coats, etc.

On business trips, my packed rollaboard usually weighs between 9 and 12 kg. With my work computer and paperwork, I can see myself breaching that limit regularly.
      Last edited by jjpb3; 29 May 2008, 02:29 PM.
      ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
        On business trips, my packed rollaboard usually weighs between 9 and 12 kg. With my work computer and paperwork, I can see myself breaching that limit regularly.
        Same here. I think with the laptop computer (& sometimes travel jacket) excluded, I am almost always within the allowed limit.

It is saddening though to see that the implementation of rules are sometimes misinterpreted by the crew in charge onboard. I am sure most of us here actually don't have any problems in complying with the rules.

Comment

Seems kinda silly to force me to take some stuff out of a rollaboard and put it into a second bag. That will take up more overhead bin room and be less convenient, while still being the same weight (ignoring the weight of the second bag while empty).

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi View Post
            Seems kinda silly to force me to take some stuff out of a rollaboard and put it into a second bag. That will take up more overhead bin room and be less convenient, while still being the same weight (ignoring the weight of the second bag while empty).
            A lighter bag is no doubt better for the crew member concerned if a PITA pax can't (or doesn't want to) stow his overweight luggage by himself!

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
              A lighter bag is no doubt better for the crew member concerned if a PITA pax can't (or doesn't want to) stow his overweight luggage by himself!
              Not an issue for me (I'm more likely to help other pax lift their too heavy bags into the bin, than my own). Besides which 12kg is hardly heavy.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi View Post
                Not an issue for me (I'm more likely to help other pax lift their too heavy bags into the bin, than my own). Besides which 12kg is hardly heavy.
                12kg may not be heavy for you. But multiply that by the dozens or maybe hundreds of passengers for the petite FA...
                Have you checked your blind spot lately?

Comment

Originally posted by astroboy View Post
                  12kg may not be heavy for you. But multiply that by the dozens or maybe hundreds of passengers for the petite FA...
                  Yes, I can never understand how big strong men just stand/sit there like lemons, expecting a female FA to store their luggages for them! How gentlemenly!

I'm a fairly small female and I am quite capable of storing the bags myself almost all the time. If I have problems, there's always helpful paxs like Kiwi (mentioned in his own post) who readily assist me.

Comment

Originally posted by astroboy View Post
                    Ideally, pax should only carry on what they can stow themselves.

Comment

I have flown SQ a few times between LAX-NRT-SIN in F. As part of this long haul trip, I have flow SQ on several internal Asian flights to BKK, DPS, HKG, PVG, etc. I have always travelled with carry-on only, i.e. my tumi 22", laptop bag and suit cover. I try and maximize every inch on my tumi 22" however have never had to weigh it hence think I have always exceeded the max allowed carry-on weight. SQ also has never weighed my carry-on. I am a little concerned on them being so strict now even for F pax. For many F and C pax, the point is more on convinience (to have it on-board for all the reasons everyone knows) than the overall weight issue as noted below by some fellow frequent travellers. I can check-in my bag and still be under the total weight allowance I am allowed in F class. In fact my carry-on weight would be significantly lower than what I am allowed total on the flight (carry-on + checked-in). It will certainly be a hasstle checking-in and waiting at the belt for my 22" carry-on several times during my trips.

Does anyone know if SQ allows if one is over-weight on a carry-on but only has 1 carry-on piece instead of 2?
                      Last edited by SQ All The Way; 1 June 2008, 12:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ All The Way View Post
                        Does anyone know if SQ allows if one is over-weight on a carry-on but only has 1 carry-on piece instead of 2?
                        For my flight, they were only weighing bags for people who had two carry-ons (including laptop bag).

Comment

Originally posted by Savage25 View Post
                          For my flight, they were only weighing bags for people who had two carry-ons (including laptop bag).
                          Thanks, to your point and to be on the safe side I should go with 2 pieces only including laptop bag.....cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by Savage25 View Post
                            That is useful info

Comment

Originally posted by SQ All The Way View Post
                              I am sure they don't.

We had the issue having one piece of check-in luggage 3 pounds to heavy on a flight from SIN to SFO in F. They made me unpack my luggage, remove 3 pounds and put it into a cardboard box, which they shipped. We only had 3 pieces, so the fourth piece and the overall weight was not the issue. How stupid is this?

And yes, I know in certain countries there are strict maximum weight limits on checked-in luggage (e.g. Australia), but the USA is not such a country.

This whole being extremely picky on luggage weight (they lowered the allowance from 32 kg to 23 kg, now starting to check hand luggage) really pisses me off. Overall it is not a cheap economy flight, this is First Class. And _NO_ other airline is that picky (I've checked with them)

Comment

Originally posted by mmm View Post
                                We had the issue having one piece of check-in luggage 3 pounds to heavy on a flight from SIN to SFO in F. They made me unpack my luggage, remove 3 pounds and put it into a cardboard box, which they shipped. We only had 3 pieces, so the fourth piece and the overall weight was not the issue. How stupid is this?

And yes, I know in certain countries there are strict maximum weight limits on checked-in luggage (e.g. Australia), but the USA is not such a country.

This whole being extremely picky on luggage weight (they lowered the allowance from 32 kg to 23 kg, now starting to check hand luggage) really pisses me off. Overall it is not a cheap economy flight, this is First Class. And _NO_ other airline is that picky (I've checked with them)
                                If that happens again, don't put up it with it. Just ask for the agent's name and to be rebooked on a full-service airline. The problem will almost certainly solve itself (after all, the problem is one of customer service, not baggage weight) and you will not have to repack your bags. No F (or C) passenger should ever have to put up with such atrocious behavior by an airline.

Comment

Working...
                                X