No announcement yet.

SQ B747-400 withdrawal thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My SQ11/12 fight next month may be the last on the SQ Jumbo... better make good use of those SkySuites!

I doubt SQ will be operating any by 2010

Comment

• Skytech-AIC is marketing the sale of SPN/SPO/SPP/SPQ. They have been listed for on the market since May.
      Last edited by Nick C; 22 August 2009, 07:19 PM. Reason: details

Comment

• Oh no...SPP (Star Alliance) & SPQ are on sale...!
        Last edited by SQTalker; 18 August 2009, 12:03 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bitterroot View Post
          9V-SPG ferried SIN to Bournemouth 6 August -- on delivery to Eagle Aviation.
          I missed this....Oh no...the Party Girl has gone...

To Bournemouth ??!!. I passed Hurn Airport a few weeks ago as well. Grim.

She deserves better...

Comment

• I got really bored last night and I came up with a hypothetical scenario where SQ can't find a buyer for the 4 744s in the near term(see post #602) and they have to retain the aircraft within the fleet. These 4 744s were delivered in 2001 so they are fairly new compared to the mid 90s still in fleet. Assuming SQ reconfigures the interior across all 3 classes (similar to CX), this is what we will get. A very low density configuration with seat count just 7% more than the 77W. The 748I will be no different in interior width apart from the additional frames. I would say that this is one of the reasons that why the 748I doesn't feature SQ's fleet plans.

Comment

• You must have been really bored!

Very interesting actually - especially the comparison to seat numbers on the 77W. No wonder it's so popular.

Comment

• Agree with the First Class config but not with the Business Class - SQ would keep the Spacebed and use the new "regional" business class seat. They never announced it as "regional" and the reviews I have read so far, all were favourable. Total seats in Business would be at least 60, leaving space for some more Economy seats as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick C View Post
                  I got really bored last night
                  I can tell

But, in the spirit of the discussion, a comment i'd like to add. That'd be awesome in J. 4 abreast on the maindeck of a 744...

Comment

• Just some wild fantasies.

Originally posted by stargold View Post
                    Very interesting actually - especially the comparison to seat numbers on the 77W. No wonder it's so popular.
                    Indeed. Moreover, the 77W can uplift more cargo.

Originally posted by SMK77 View Post
                    Agree with the First Class config but not with the Business Class - SQ would keep the Spacebed and use the new "regional" business class seat. They never announced it as "regional" and the reviews I have read so far, all were favourable. Total seats in Business would be at least 60, leaving space for some more Economy seats as well.
                    I did consider a possible scenario of the Spacebeds being reupholstered with the new leather covers but those seats are at least 8 years old so the original cost wuld have been recouped by now; hence it's pretty pointless to retain them. The 744's will probably be retained for long haul missions so it makes sense to install the long haul J. Actually, the new 333/73A business class seats were announced as "Regional & Medium-Haul Business Class" when they were unveiled to the public. Also, this will allow seamless equipment swaps due to the small subfleet.

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                    But, in the spirit of the discussion, a comment i'd like to add. That'd be awesome in J. 4 abreast on the maindeck of a 744...
                    The cabin width of the 744 is just 9 inches wider than the 77W so it's rather minute, but the thought of a high ceiling and airy cabin. That's awesome.

Comment

• At the time of the 747-8I launch, I went through the same exercise. I put 12R on the upperdeck, with 54J and 316Y on the maindeck. Of course, the smaller 747-400 would have less capacity, starting with only 8R upstairs.

I don't see any real chance of SQ retaining the SpaceBeds in any reconfigured type. 747-400s reconfigured with the new long-haul J would be substantially lighter than the current configuration, which would reduce trip costs, but it still wouldn't be even close to competitive with the 777-300ER or WhaleJet.

I believe SQ will park the JumboJets regardless of whether or not they can sell them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick C View Post

Freetime.jpg

Comment

• waytoomuchfreetime.jpg might have been more appropriate

Comment

• Originally posted by zvezda View Post
                            I believe SQ will park the JumboJets regardless of whether or not they can sell them.
                            I remember earlier this year SQ announced that they would ground 17 a/c between then and March 2010. I think any unsold Jumbo Jets will be among the 17 a/c withdrawn, unless SQ has changed its plan to ground that many planes.
                            Last edited by sumitsan; 24 August 2009, 01:14 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by sumitsan View Post
                              I remember earlier this year SQ announced that they would ground 17 a/c between then and March 2010. I think any unsold Jumbo Jets will be among the 17 a/c withdrawn, unless SQ has changed its plan to ground that many planes.
                              All I can say that it would be a very big surprise if SQ are still operating JumboJets in passenger service come April.

The only difficulty I see is that SQ are taking delivery of so few new aircraft before April. 9V-SKK is due in about a month, 9V-SKJ is due in January, and then a few A330-300s in February and March. That's it.

Comment

• Originally posted by zvezda View Post
                                All I can say that it would be a very big surprise if SQ are still operating JumboJets in passenger service come April.
                                Although I'd personally be happy, I agree that it will be shocking. But then again, SQ surprised some of us by bringing SPE back after withdrawing her from the fleet. So anything is possible.
                                Last edited by sumitsan; 24 August 2009, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X