No announcement yet.

SQ B747-400 withdrawal thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Since they are being retired sooner than was planned six months ago and it's a buyer's market, I doubt SQ can deliver them early. SQ had might as well keep one or two spares on hand at SIN rather than parking every possible JumboJet at VCV.

Comment

• Originally posted by haf View Post
      9V-SFL spotted at a boneyard just a few days ago.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Untit...SCD/1546447/L/

and now 9V-SPM spotted at the same boneyard.. VCV

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Untit...412/1547707/L/

that photo was posted a week or so ago.
      blog

Comment

• bitterroot did mention that was there, now we get to see it in all its glory!
        blog

Comment

• I'm having trouble thinking of the boneyard as glorious.

I've had many great flights on the aircraft formerly known as Megatop, usually in the class formerly known as Raffles, but I'm not sad to see them replaced by newer aircraft with better seats, IFE, etc.

Comment

• I'm a little surprised why SQ, who are particular about maintaining their young average age for their fleet and keeping relatively newer a/c at all times, would retire the relatively newer 744s like SPL and SPM before the older 744s like SPA or even SMU. I would've expected the older ones to leave now, and the newer ones to leave by March 2010.

Comment

• Originally posted by sumitsan View Post
              I'm a little surprised why SQ, who are particular about maintaining their young average age for their fleet and keeping relatively newer a/c at all times, would retire the relatively newer 744s like SPL and SPM before the older 744s like SPA or even SMU. I would've expected the older ones to leave now, and the newer ones to leave by March 2010.
              SQ still owns some of the newer 744s and these will be the first to be parked to reduce utilisation and cycles to maintain market value for resale. The older 744s are either on lease or awaiting transfer to another party and hence SQ would probably want to get the most out of these aircraft.

Comment

• Originally posted by sumitsan View Post
                I'm a little surprised why SQ, who are particular about maintaining their young average age for their fleet and keeping relatively newer a/c at all times, would retire the relatively newer 744s like SPL and SPM before the older 744s like SPA or even SMU. I would've expected the older ones to leave now, and the newer ones to leave by March 2010.
                The timing for each aircraft is constrained by the contracted delivery date, as all have already been sold.

Comment

• Originally posted by zvezda View Post
                  I'm having trouble thinking of the boneyard as glorious.

I've had many great flights on the aircraft formerly known as Megatop, usually in the class formerly known as Raffles, but I'm not sad to see them replaced by newer aircraft with better seats, IFE, etc.
                  Unless there is a some big phallic psychological thing going on here...

I think it's more the nostalgia. The big planes tend to be endeared to due to their size - hence the nicknames Whalejet and Jumbo. Or is it their multi deck design? But the twins tend to all look relatively similar and don't break much apparent new ground - although they are more comforatble, and have a much more competitive bottom line.

How many twins have nicknames, for example?
                  Last edited by bmchris; 9 July 2009, 02:57 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by bmchris View Post
                    How many twins have nicknames, for example?
                    Off the top of my head: Jubilee, Dreamliner, and my favourite aircraft nickname: Double-Ugly (A-6 Intruder). Anyway, we're straying off-topic.

The point was that while some people are nostalgic, I'm quite pragmatic. I want an airline to take me where I want to go, when I want to go, safely, comfortably, and at a fair price. The visual characteristics of the aircraft are just not on my list when choosing flights. I will not miss the JumboJets when they're gone because the 777s (and other aircraft) which have replaced them are better -- and better equipped. I'm looking forward to all the SpaceBeds being retired -- on the JumboJets and on the 777s. I adore the new long-haul Business Class -- despite having to stand to change it to bed configuration.
                    Last edited by zvezda; 9 July 2009, 03:11 AM.

Comment

Off the top of my head: Jubilee, Dreamliner, and my favourite aircraft nickname: Double-Ugly (A-6 Intruder).
                      Point taken.

Take out the "A-6" and you have "Double-Ugly-Intruder". Now THAT is a nickname. Given the firepower, rather appropriate as well.

Getting back on topic, I'm booked on SQ25/26 in April '10. While I am looking forward to a plane change to the new J class, being on the upper deck in a slanting spacebed wouldn't entirely make me upset either.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick C View Post
                        SQ still owns some of the newer 744s and these will be the first to be parked to reduce utilisation and cycles to maintain market value for resale. The older 744s are either on lease or awaiting transfer to another party and hence SQ would probably want to get the most out of these aircraft.
                        Just got in on SPN, must be one of the more recent ones.
                        F all the way. Settle for J. Usually whY. Sigh.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick C View Post
                          SQ still owns some of the newer 744s and these will be the first to be parked to reduce utilisation and cycles to maintain market value for resale.
                          Exactly right. The remaining JumboJets were all sold a few years ago, with delivery in the future. The prices depend on hours and cycles, so this is an extra cost for SQ.

Originally posted by bmchris View Post
                          Take out the "A-6" and you have "Double-Ugly-Intruder". Now THAT is a nickname. Given the firepower, rather appropriate as well.
                          Intruder was a good name for the A-6 because it was the first attack aircraft with an all-weather nighttime precision bombing capability, but Double-Ugly fits so well.

Originally posted by bmchris View Post
                          I'm booked on SQ25/26 in April '10. While I am looking forward to a plane change to the new J class, being on the upper deck in a slanting spacebed wouldn't entirely make me upset either.
                          I would not be upset to have a SpaceBed on the upper deck either -- particularly in row 17 -- however, I would be disappointed if I were expecting SQ's new long-haul Business Class.

Comment

Anyway, we're straying off-topic.
                            Indeed, so could we kindly remind people to stick to the topic of the thread : SQ 744 withdrawals.

Thank you.
                            Last edited by MAN Flyer; 9 July 2009, 06:20 PM. Reason: :-)

Comment

• Besides SPG, were there any other recently retired Jumbos? Fleet count shows 9, but according to ACARS, 10 Jumbos have been active excluding SPG.

Comment

• With SPE back with the new colours, will there be any new time frame for withdrawals? Three months seems a short time to pull 10 aircraft out. I may be flying to FRA in late Nov/early Dec and I'm still hoping to catch the 744 on SQ26, although that might be a rather small hope.

Comment

Working...
                                X