SQ B747-400 withdrawal thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by sumitsan View Post
    Is SQ planning on eliminating (or downgauging) the morning SIN-LHR flight (SQ308/319)? When I spoke to the SQ pilot, the main reason for the slight possibility for the 744s to be in service even after 2011 is because of this flight and also the SQ219/220 flight to Sydney, but the LHR flight more than anything. The other flights have high capacity, but the pilot did say A380 may or may not phase them out for those flights, but the 744 plays an important part for that one LHR flight and the SYD, altho I cannot imagine how. The SYD flight SQ219/220 connects with other flights from Lufthansa, Air India, and Virgin Atlantic so that flight is also packed.
    Those flights might be high priorities as future WhaleJets join the fleet, in the extremely unlikely event the entire JumboJet fleet were grounded. If things got that bad though, I could see one LHR flight downgauged to 777-300ER service.

Comment

• SQ never ended up taking -SPS just -SPR which operated exclusively on the SIN-AKL-SIN in the Star Alliance scheme.

So postings about -SPS being painted in SQ colours are just a myth.

zvezda, what's the next SQ B744 to be pulled from service?

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom/PER View Post
        zvezda, what's the next SQ B744 to be pulled from service?
        I don't know which, but a couple will be pulled from service at this end of this quarter following the Lunar New Year peak travel season -- possibly even before 9V-SKG and 9V-SKH join the fleet.

Comment

• Originally posted by zvezda View Post
          I don't know which, but a couple will be pulled from service at this end of this quarter following the Lunar New Year peak travel season -- possibly even before 9V-SKG and 9V-SKH join the fleet.
          I'm guessing by this that one of the Sydney routes (not the SQ219-220), or the Melbourne routes will be downgauged to 773 or 772 by the end of the quarter.

btw, does SQ occasionally use the 744s for Bangkok or no?

Comment

They have in the past, at peak periods (I'm referring to after the regular 747 run was discontinued).

Comment

I'm guessing by this that one of the Sydney routes (not the SQ219-220), or the Melbourne routes will be downgauged to 773 or 772 by the end of the quarter.

well MEL is receiving additional 744 instead of the 77W this month as already posted. Also, the 773 service has been replaced with 744 at times over thepast year for certain periods. However, MEL is constantly full with SQ. We really need A380 ASAP!
              My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

• Originally posted by sqdazz View Post
                well MEL is receiving additional 744 instead of the 77W this month as already posted. Also, the 773 service has been replaced with 744 at times over thepast year for certain periods. However, MEL is constantly full with SQ. We really need A380 ASAP!
                It is hoped that 9V-SKG and 9V-SKH will be delivered in March and April, respectively.

Comment

• zvezda,

There is a post of another site about 9V-SPA undergoing BCF conversion in April 2009, do you know anymore?

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom/PER View Post
                    SQ never ended up taking -SPS just -SPR which operated exclusively on the SIN-AKL-SIN in the Star Alliance scheme.

So postings about -SPS being painted in SQ colours are just a myth.
                    Correct!.

what's the next SQ B744 to be pulled from service?
                    There is a post of another site about 9V-SPA undergoing BCF conversion in April 2009, do you know anymore?
                    lame38.5 is the person for that, but she only pops on here every now and again.
                    Last edited by MAN Flyer; 12 January 2009, 09:46 AM.

Comment

• Apparently -SPA had it's flight as a pax aircraft on the 29th Dec 08.

Also oddly -SMU has been painted into the new livery! SQ's oldest aircraft!!

I saw -SMU airside at SYD in September and the paintwork was tired but their are far worse B744's floating around the world's skies....Maybe the 'Megatop' is gonna be around for a while yet.

Comment

• Like many others have said too I don't think SQ is keen on pulling off the 1000th 747 so quickly.

Comment

• Yeah, according to www.ch-aviation.ch, the status on 9V-SPA is that it is going to be sent to Air Pallmantur, which is a chartered airline. I don't know how accurate this is. Actually this site has the status of specific model numbers (i.e. 747-412, 747-4H6, 747-433, etc). I had some good and bad memories with 9V-SPA. I travelled to Sydney from LAX thru Singapore. SQ11 to SIN on 9V-SPA, then stayed at the transit hotel for a few hours, then took SQ219 to SYD and it turned out to be 9V-SPA as well. Flight was great, hardly any serious turbulents, SQ crew were great and friendly (they always are anyway), plane was my favorite model, and the inflight movie choices were great too.

The only bad memory with it is, I was travelling with my Rubik's Cube (yeah, I'm a cubing geek who is semi-fast) and on my last stretch from SIN-SYD, I lost my cube in the plane. Unfortunately, it was never recovered. But besides that, I will miss this plane from the SQ fleet if it is indeed going to Air Pallmantur.

Originally posted by wsssaero View Post
                          Like many others have said too I don't think SQ is keen on pulling off the 1000th 747 so quickly.
                          On an ironic twist, I also heard that 9V-SPR, which was leased from MAS, was the 999th 747. If this info is accurate, it was cool that SQ had both the 999th and 1000th 747 at one time.

Comment

• That website I mentioned (www.ch-aviation.ch) has the status of 9V-SMU has parked in Dubai, the same spot where SQ had to park several Megatops in 2003/2004 when things got bad that some aircraft were forced to be grounded. I'm not sure of this status, since I do not know if this site is reliable.

Comment

• Today 11/01/09 9V-SMU is in Melbourne on SQ227, i have been reading the SQ TALK forums for months and enjoy reading everyones comments

Comment

• hello ladies n gentlemen, i'm female by the way haha
                                i heard someone calling my nick.

9v-SPL is almost done wif the maintenance checks for the De-leasing. guess little or no one knows about tis? she is due for test flight tmr.
                                life long learning == learn later

ASU here i come!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X