SQ B747-400 withdrawal thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by kelvgoh View Post
    Noticed that 9V-SMU hasn't flown in December at all. Any updates on her status?
    I noticed that SQ's fleet of active 744 was at 15 in September, and now it is at 14, so one 744 must've been retired in the past 3 months. I'm not sure if 9V-SMU was the plane that was retired.

Also, what was the story behind SQ leasing a 744 from MAS (9V-SPR). Were they short on planes for while? I thought they had 20 744s when they leased the one from MAS.

Comment

• Originally posted by sumitsan View Post
      what was the story behind SQ leasing a 744 from MAS (9V-SPR). Were they short on planes for while? I thought they had 20 744s when they leased the one from MAS.
      Yes, SQ were very short on aircraft due to the WhaleJet delays. SQ have kept many of their JumboJets longer than earlier planned.

Comment

I noticed that SQ's fleet of active 744 was at 15 in September, and now it is at 14, so one 744 must've been retired in the past 3 months. I'm not sure if 9V-SMU was the plane that was retired.

Also, what was the story behind SQ leasing a 744 from MAS (9V-SPR). Were they short on planes for while? I thought they had 20 744s when they leased the one from MAS.
        SQ actually leased two 744s from MAS: 9V-SPR was ex 9M-MPE, and 9V-SPS was ex 9M-MPC. They were assigned to SQ285/286, SIN - AKL until there were enough 77Ws delivered to take over the Auckland run.

9V-SPB went to El AL. I think that brought the total down to 14, still including 9V-SMU. They may only be using 13 at the moment -- and a couple less after 12 January!

Comment

• Originally posted by Bitterroot View Post
          SQ actually leased two 744s from MAS: 9V-SPR was ex 9M-MPE, and 9V-SPS was ex 9M-MPC. They were assigned to SQ285/286, SIN - AKL until there were enough 77Ws delivered to take over the Auckland run.

9V-SPB went to El AL. I think that brought the total down to 14, still including 9V-SMU. They may only be using 13 at the moment -- and a couple less after 12 January!

Um. . .forgive me, but what happens on jan 12?

Comment

• Originally posted by kelvgoh View Post
            Noticed that 9V-SMU hasn't flown in December at all. Any updates on her status?
            haha... as u were writing the threat SMU is flying out frm SIN. she was undergoing Heavy Maintenance Visit for the past 30 days.
            life long learning == learn later

ASU here i come!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Bitterroot View Post

I heard that SQ had another 744 from MAS which was 9V-SPS, but I've never seen images of this plane. I heard that this and 9V-SPR were leased from MAS and then sent to World Airways. I've seen images of both planes in MAS and World Airways livery, but I've only seen 9V-SPR in SQ livery not 9V-SPS. I tried browsing for images online, and did not find anything. Did 9V-SPS ever have any scheduled flights in the SQ livery?

Comment

• Originally posted by mczlaw View Post
                Um. . .forgive me, but what happens on jan 12?
                SQ 1/2, the SIN -- SFO 744 gets replaced with a 77W.

Comment

I heard that SQ had another 744 from MAS which was 9V-SPS, but I've never seen images of this plane. I heard that this and 9V-SPR were leased from MAS and then sent to World Airways. I've seen images of both planes in MAS and World Airways livery, but I've only seen 9V-SPR in SQ livery not 9V-SPS. I tried browsing for images online, and did not find anything. Did 9V-SPS ever have any scheduled flights in the SQ livery?
                  I'm not absolutely sure, but I think both aircraft were repainted in SQ livery when they assumed the 9V-xxx registrations.

You are correct that both have since moved on ...... my understanding is that they have been, or are being, converted to freighters.

Comment

• another route culled

yesss...

777W on HKG-SFO.

now that is progress.. pointless flying empty all winter hoping for
                    pax numbers to return.

Better safe fuel and introduce better Cabin than waste fuel.

Comment

• 9V-SMU seems to have got an Air Test a few days ago according to 9V. So could be already off for someone else.

I was spotting the 744 operating SQ286 a couple of times during the last Northern Winter schedule. Always SPR except for once in SPR's last days which was operated by SPE, but never saw SPS. Did it even exist?

Comment

• Originally posted by 422 View Post
                        yesss...

777W on HKG-SFO.

now that is progress.. pointless flying empty all winter hoping for
                        pax numbers to return.

Better safe fuel and introduce better Cabin than waste fuel.

eagerly waiting for SQ11/12 to get the 77W. Anyone know if there have been any updates? Any info on recent loads?

Cheers.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ All The Way View Post
                          eagerly waiting for SQ11/12 to get the 77W. Anyone know if there have been any updates? Any info on recent loads?

Cheers.
                          I think they're still keeping 744s for while. I hope they keep it at 744, but then again, I'm just a huge 747 fan. I know the the LAX-SIN via NRT (SQ11/12) was running full or almost full before xmas, or so the travel agent said because I know people who had to take an alternate route because of it.

Comment

I think they're still keeping 744s for while. I hope they keep it at 744, but then again, I'm just a huge 747 fan. I know the the LAX-SIN via NRT (SQ11/12) was running full or almost full before xmas, or so the travel agent said because I know people who had to take an alternate route because of it.
                            The flights are full because many of the trips and vacations were booked prior to the full effects of the recession. The period of worry begins after CNY this year.

Comment

• If SQ need to reduce capacity, the contingency plan is to ground some or all of the JumboJets. If the economic situation were to get a lot worse, then we might see the end of passenger JumboJet ops at SQ by the end of 2009. I don't think that's at all likely, just the worst-case scenario.

Comment

• Originally posted by zvezda View Post
                                If SQ need to reduce capacity, the contingency plan is to ground some or all of the JumboJets. If the economic situation were to get a lot worse, then we might see the end of passenger JumboJet ops at SQ by the end of 2009. I don't think that's at all likely, just the worst-case scenario.
                                Is SQ planning on eliminating (or downgauging) the morning SIN-LHR flight (SQ308/319)? When I spoke to the SQ pilot, the main reason for the slight possibility for the 744s to be in service even after 2011 is because of this flight and also the SQ219/220 flight to Sydney, but the LHR flight more than anything. The other flights have high capacity, but the pilot did say A380 may or may not phase them out for those flights, but the 744 plays an important part for that one LHR flight and the SYD, altho I cannot imagine how. The SYD flight SQ219/220 connects with other flights from Lufthansa, Air India, and Virgin Atlantic so that flight is also packed.

Comment

Working...
                                X