New SIN-CBR-WLG Service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
    Not anymore I'm afraid. They were SQI and SRN and SQ offloaded both of them last year to Pembroke who were planning to lease them to Transaero until it collapsed and so now they're parked at VCV. IIRC they were the first two 772s to leave the fleet that didn't have a purple cabin so there must have been a reason SQ wanted them gone.
    Didn't know they where gone. Cheers

Comment

Not anymore I'm afraid. They were SQI and SRN and SQ offloaded both of them last year to Pembroke who were planning to lease them to Transaero until it collapsed and so now they're parked at VCV. IIRC they were the first two 772s to leave the fleet that didn't have a purple cabin so there must have been a reason SQ wanted them gone.
      I was always curious about SQI and SRN - why did SQ spend the money retrofitting (and increasing the rating) on two leased birds instead of the two they own that still have the old product (SRJ and SRL).

Comment

Originally posted by vasqflyer View Post
        I was always curious about SQI and SRN - why did SQ spend the money retrofitting (and increasing the rating) on two leased birds instead of the two they own that still have the old product (SRJ and SRL).
        SQI and SRN were used specifically on AKL and CHC flights because the derated 772s didn't have sufficient range. I think they were required before the last stages of the major 77W order. Once they had SWA-T in place, SQ285/6 was upgraded to 77W and there were enough 772ERs freed up to cover the other two flights. They then moved back into the pool of standard 772s but they must have been less economical for shorter flights with the different engines.

Comment

SQI and SRN were used specifically on AKL and CHC flights because the derated 772s didn't have sufficient range. I think they were required before the last stages of the major 77W order. Once they had SWA-T in place, SQ285/6 was upgraded to 77W and there were enough 772ERs freed up to cover the other two flights. They then moved back into the pool of standard 772s but they must have been less economical for shorter flights with the different engines.
          What he is saying though why those particular AC. They spent money on the cabin and engines and then handed it back. Surely it would be better to do that on an AC they own?

Comment

Originally posted by FN-GM View Post
            What he is saying though why those particular AC. They spent money on the cabin and engines and then handed it back. Surely it would be better to do that on an AC they own?
            I'm not sure whether they did or didn't own them prior to them leaving the fleet. Pembroke has them now, but could it be that they bought them off SQ? The only records I have access to are from planespotters. If they were leased, I don't know how long it had to run at the point in time that they decided to refurbish them.

I guess it's the same as with SYE and SYK- they could have refitted SYE and left SYK with the old interior for a while then returned it. They're also fitting PEY into several A380s they don't intend to keep too much longer. These decisions are not something I know much about.

Comment

I am very much looking forward to seeing the Singapore Airlines Boeing 777 at Wellington, it will be a nice change to see something big there, after a long while of not having the 767s.
              Also I would just like to say that Wellington Airport is a great airport to do some spotting at, from a lot of great vantage points.
              I will be at the airport for the first day of service into Wellington!

Best Regards

Comment

Originally posted by SQA350 View Post
                I am very much looking forward to seeing the Singapore Airlines Boeing 777 at Wellington, it will be a nice change to see something big there, after a long while of not having the 767s.
                Also I would just like to say that Wellington Airport is a great airport to do some spotting at, from a lot of great vantage points.
                I will be at the airport for the first day of service into Wellington!

Best Regards
                Welcome to SQ Talk!

I was at WLG a few years ago and remember a big window wall giving a good clear view. The visual experience of landing in WLG would also probably be the best I've ever had.

So some inside knowledge- how do you think the airport will handle processing a large number of passengers? I imagaine not many other late evening overseas flights leave from WLG but do many arrive around 13:00?

Comment

Welcome to SQ Talk!

I was at WLG a few years ago and remember a big window wall giving a good clear view. The visual experience of landing in WLG would also probably be the best I've ever had.

So some inside knowledge- how do you think the airport will handle processing a large number of passengers? I imagaine not many other late evening overseas flights leave from WLG but do many arrive around 13:00?

Hello SQ228!

thanks for your very nice greeting!.
                  The terminal is excellent to watch aircraft movements from, and have a coffee, especially on those very rare days Wellington weather is a bit wild.
                  The airport facilities were upgraded to cope with a influx of international passengers, so there should not be a problem.
                  Before the upgrade the terminal used to cope with the arrival of three 767s around the same time of the day nearly everyday.

Best Regards

Comment

Will SIA's new SIN-CBR-WLG service be covered under the alliance agreement they have with ANZ?

Comment

ex-SIN Kcl fares are avail to CBR for SGD 730 all-in all the way till 29 Nov dep ex-SIN.

Dec fares increase to SGD 1070

WLG Kcl fares start from SGD 1255.60 and Dec increases to $1.6k

Comment

Welcome to SQ Talk!

Well, not quite inside knowledge per-se, but AFAIK (and As Far As I Remember), on a typical day Wellington have 2 "waves" of international arrivals - one between around 12:30-13:00 until about 15:00, and the 2nd wave is usually between 23:00 - 01:00. These are the times where the Trans-Tasman flights arrive.

As for international departures, the 1st wave of departures are early in the morning - 06:00 until about 08:00, with the 2nd wave around 15:00-17:00, with the odd flight a bit later closer to 18:30 hours.

So, looking at SQ's arrival from CBR of around 15:00, they would probably come in just around the tail end of the 1st wave - it will be interesting to see how many pax will be on board the flight, as depending on whether other international flights gets delayed or not, it could put a bit of a straing on WLG's international arrivals (and customs, immigration and quarantine). Departures should be a bit better, as not international flights leave that late (around 20:15 hours, or 21:15 during summer months when DST kicks in). However, as SQA350 mentioned, WLG's terminal facilities has recently been upgraded so they would probably be OK. When I find intriguing though is where is SQ's B777 going to park, given that WLG's ramp in pretty tight... My guess would probably be between gates 23-25, the gates facing the runway. Just my 2 cents worth of thoughts...

Comment

Part 1 of the CAPA analysis was posted today. They seem to be generally positive.

http://centreforaviation.com/analysi...w-route-263643

Comment

I tried to book J, but only full fares are offered. Sorry not going to pay $4000USD for a 772 flight!

I hope they will load some Z/I/D fares to WLG for ex-BKK/TPE/KUL soon!

Carfield

Comment

Originally posted by Carfield View Post
                              I tried to book J, but only full fares are offered. Sorry not going to pay $4000USD for a 772 flight!

I hope they will load some Z/I/D fares to WLG for ex-BKK/TPE/KUL soon!

Carfield
                              I called KF this morning to ask abt redemption, and was told J class on the inaugural flights are fully booked!

Couldn't believe that, but I can live without visiting CBR

Comment

Well I just checked at expertflyer...
                                SIN-CBR-WLG are all zeroed out in J but when I click on the seat map, not one seat is taken. Maybe they are holding the seats for VIPs.

For return, the flight is not even listed in EF's website.

The "Capital Express" sounds like an interesting inaugural, but then I don't think I am willing to pay $4000USD or more to fly on an lack-luster regional business class product. Not to mention the possible sleeper service (one meal) on the SIN-CBR segment.

Anyway I will be patient and will rather save my money for something more interesting. I hope SQ realizes that the Capital Express is not like the A380 inaugural!

Carfield

Comment

Working...
                                X