Best Economy catering goes to SQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KC* View Post
    If SQ is voted best, it simply suggest that the others are worse. It does not mean that it is good at all.

I travelled SQ's Y four times last two months and found SQ's Y food mediocre but the good service by the cabin crew made the meals quite pleasant.
    Originally posted by orionmiz View Post
    Well, at least SQ short haul flight doesn't give out just one small miserable box of meal, or just one doughnut...
    On a recent shourt haul (Sep): SIN-SGN in Y, there was a noticeable reduction in the amount of protein on the tray. 3 small bite-sized morsels of fish. I was disappointed. SQ used to be a lot more generous.

On a similar route (Sep), I was flying MH on KUL-SGN in Y, there were 2 small bite-sized morsels of fish.

SQ WINS, by 1 bite-sized morsel of fish.

Comment

Originally posted by SQueeze View Post
      But MH far wins by ticket price!
      My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Comment

Originally posted by ycp81 View Post
        But MH far wins by ticket price!
        Haha, now you remind me:
        I paid:

SQ: SGD200 per way (ex-SGN fare, ex-SGD will be double that)
        MH: SGD39 per way (Sep error fare)

Comment

Laughable, as MAN Flyer said this should go for Comedy Awards. Definitely SQ meal quality, portions, etc. has gone down steadily over the last 5-6 years. Not just in Y, but I also find this in C.

The problem is that SQ takes that and thinks "ohh my we are so awesome" and nothing will change for the better for sure. Alas, nothing new there either.

Comment

Originally posted by demue View Post
            Laughable, as MAN Flyer said this should go for Comedy Awards. Definitely SQ meal quality, portions, etc. has gone down steadily over the last 5-6 years. Not just in Y, but I also find this in C.

The problem is that SQ takes that and thinks "ohh my we are so awesome" and nothing will change for the better for sure. Alas, nothing new there either.
            SQ might be one of the better one out there on routes with competition, but on routes with no competition, SQ can give whatever cra* it likes and would still be the best

My Travel Map

Comment

The best SQ Y meals I had were on those routes origin from Japan. Other routes are so-so or under acceptable bar.
              The worst SQ Y meals I had were on those routes to/from Hanoi. However, those meals are still better than those Y meals shown by ycp81. Have not been Hanoi for a few years, the standard of the Y meal might drop recently..

Comment

I am of the point of view that all late night flights especially as late as the JNB/CPT flights should have minimal service upon take-off because it is so tiring just to keep awake at 3am. And I appreciate cold sandwiches which do not emit smell as hot food does (which is disruptive to sleeping pax).

May be the portion could be bigger or the quality of the ingredients better, but one tray of cold wrap with no frills, no smell, and quick distribution imo is appropriate.

I hope they do the same for all ex-India flights. I can't stand curries wafting through the cabin at 2am.
                Nothing against cold meals but airlines like TK and CX can do a much better job with cold meals (cold starter, sandwich and dessert) on their short domestic hops or red-eyes. SQ's version on JNB/CPT spells CHEAP.
                same opinion as you...i am ok with a cold meal esp that late in the night; but make sure it is of good quality!

On a recent shourt haul (Sep): SIN-SGN in Y, there was a noticeable reduction in the amount of protein on the tray. 3 small bite-sized morsels of fish. I was disappointed. SQ used to be a lot more generous.

On a similar route (Sep), I was flying MH on KUL-SGN in Y, there were 2 small bite-sized morsels of fish.

hmm, seems like you are not the only one who noticed shrinking proteins; did they cover up with more starch and veg? lol

Comment

Originally posted by bent View Post

hmm, seems like you are not the only one who noticed shrinking proteins; did they cover up with more starch and veg? lol
                  Look at the amount of proteins on the fish main for lunch on my recent JNB-SIN flight. 1/4 casserole of dry and weird tasting protein and 3/4 casserole of mushy mash passed off as rice.

One of the most awful dish I ever had on a plane, bordering towards inedible, and I swear combat rations (us Singaporean men would know) tasted better than this. Too bad they ran out of the beef option which looked and most probably tasted much better.

My Travel Map

Comment

Looks bloody awful
                    My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

Look at the amount of proteins on the fish main for lunch on my recent JNB-SIN flight. 1/4 casserole of dry and weird tasting protein and 3/4 casserole of mushy mash passed off as rice.

One of the most awful dish I ever had on a plane, bordering towards inedible, and I swear combat rations (us Singaporean men would know) tasted better than this. Too bad they ran out of the beef option which looked and most probably tasted much better.
                      Similar amount of protein to what I observed on my aforementioned SGN flight.
                      But Vietnamese can't live without veggies so at least there are still some veggies there but less than before. I think visually SQ meal used to be ⅓,⅓,⅓ of protein, starch, and veggie. But on that SGN flight, it was ¼,¼ protein and veggie, and ½ rice. No good. Disappointed.

Comment

SQ might be one of the better one out there on routes with competition, but on routes with no competition, SQ can give whatever cra* it likes and would still be the best
                        SQ uses empirical evidence to support their focus on cost management.

Surveys, ratings serves to prove just that. Yes, and it does not mean that they are best... its just that others may be worse.

Offering fried bee hoon, fired carrot cake ( a la singapore hawker style ) just shows how they play the "local" flavour card. It saves them lots of money as opposed to scrambled eggs, denver omelettes, mushrooms and sauages.

They also back it up with survey findings too. Particularly if the priority is cost, constructing a survey to veer towards it, is simple enough.

I vote emirates for food... their service mirrors that of SQ but minus the fuss over things like collection of refuse, and used service wear ( EY). SQ prohibits the use of plastic bags or waste carts to collect them... so the crew will try their darnest to balance plastic cups, serviettes on their small trays and bring them to the the galley.

Transit in DXB sucks though.

Comment

Just back from Beijing on SQ807. Dinner was served on this flight.
                          However, only 3 items on the meal tray.

* There is a typo in menu card. Chinese menu is Lamb with rice and English menu shows beef with rice. (I forgot to take a picture of the menu card).

By the way, this is the first time crew came to me (I am KF gold member) and asked about my choice of dinner after drink was served. My meal tray was served together with other paxs who had pre-ordered meal. Is this new policy or only provided by those pro-active-friendly crew member?
                          Last edited by jbflyer; 26 November 2014, 10:02 PM. Reason: correct the image link.

Comment

Originally posted by jbflyer View Post
                            By the way, this is the first time crew came to me (I am KF gold member) and asked about my choice of dinner after drink was served. My meal tray was served together with other paxs who had pre-ordered meal. Is this new policy or only provided by those pro-active-friendly crew member?
                            Proactive friendly crew. Crew like this really makes SQ stand out.

Comment

Just back from Beijing on SQ807. Dinner was served on this flight.
                              However, only 3 items on the meal tray.

Cheese and crackers from the International choice and Chinese snack from the Oriental choice are apparently removed. More cost-cutting in action.

My Travel Map

Comment

I wish this was policy. I would never reference my status or pull out the card while on the plane, because I think that's a bit rude, but while being a KF Gold I have missed out on my choice of meal twice and been left with fish (as usual) which I hate.

Comment

Working...
                                X