Best Economy catering goes to SQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Economy catering goes to SQ

Singapore Airlines voted best economy class inflight dining. Best first/business class catering goes to Emirates.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/26/travel...ml?hpt=hp_bn10

I had my worst ever long-haul economy catering on a recent SIN-JNB-CPT flight on SQ though... 2 ice-cold wraps/sandwiches and a miserable breakfast on a 14hrs flight?? Oh and they ran out of inflight snack sandwiches (or I was told by the crew who did not bother to offer something else) on a half-filled plane 3.5hrs before landing in JNB.
    My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Comment

Originally posted by ycp81 View Post
      I had my worst ever long-haul economy catering on a recent SIN-JNB-CPT flight on SQ though... 2 ice-cold wraps/sandwiches and a miserable breakfast on a 14hrs flight?? Oh and they ran out of inflight snack sandwiches (or I was told by the crew who did not bother to offer something else) on a half-filled plane 3.5hrs before landing in JNB.
      I just looked at your Cape Town TR on this site and this description seems to match your description of the food on that flight. Looks like SQ still doesn't seem to care much about South Africa flights as far as catering goes.

Comment

Originally posted by SQGamespeed View Post
        I just looked at your Cape Town TR on this site and this description seems to match your description of the food on that flight. Looks like SQ still doesn't seem to care much about South Africa flights as far as catering goes.
        It just got worse. 3 years ago, nuts and a warm wrap/sandwich was served right after takeoff. Now, only a wrap/sandwich right out of the chiller was served after takeoff and a breakfast prior to landing on the 10.5hrs SIN-JNB flight. On the 2hr JNB-CPT sector, again only cold sandwiches were offered.

My Travel Map

Comment

I always assumed every flight that length would have the same quality and quantity of food I am always served on Australian and European flights. I'm actually shocked to hear that SQ would offer such poor catering. A cold sandwich is what I would expect on a 2 hour domestic flight.

Comment

Supper on my SQ231 economy service have been the same over the last 8 years since I am commuting on that route. The best. Really?

Comment

Originally posted by ycp81 View Post
              It just got worse. 3 years ago, nuts and a warm wrap/sandwich was served right after takeoff. Now, only a wrap/sandwich right out of the chiller was served after takeoff and a breakfast prior to landing on the 10.5hrs SIN-JNB flight. On the 2hr JNB-CPT sector, again only cold sandwiches were offered.

Just to share what was served on SQ478 which I just flew on last week:

SIN-JNB (Flight time of 10.5h)

After takeoff:

Cold tandoori chicken wrap (which tasted disgusting and I am not a picky eater)

or

Cold ham and cheese croissant (which my mum don't even feel like finishing as it was so cold and tasteless)

Breakfast before arrival:

Pork noodles (tasted miserable as well, and note the so empty tray, void of yoghurt/cereal and muffin which would be served on other long-haul flights)

or

Frittata (which was not much better)

JNB-CPT (Flight time of almost 2hr)

Cold beef focaccia

or

Cold chicken and egg sandwich

Best economy class inflight dining?? No way.....

My Travel Map

Comment

I wish the portions will where bigger. I always have to ask for another snack or bring my own

Comment

I guess my biggest grumble with economy food would be when they make one of the options fish/seafood, which I don't eat. The fish/seafood dish is always far less popular and I've often been left with it as the only option by the time they get to me.

I find it bizarre that I can select a "Seafood Only" special meal, but not a "Seafood Free" meal. Who on earth needs to eat only seafood as a dietary requirement???

Comment

I am of the point of view that all late night flights especially as late as the JNB/CPT flights should have minimal service upon take-off because it is so tiring just to keep awake at 3am. And I appreciate cold sandwiches which do not emit smell as hot food does (which is disruptive to sleeping pax).

May be the portion could be bigger or the quality of the ingredients better, but one tray of cold wrap with no frills, no smell, and quick distribution imo is appropriate.

I hope they do the same for all ex-India flights. I can't stand curries wafting through the cabin at 2am.

Comment

Originally posted by SQueeze View Post
                      I am of the point of view that all late night flights especially as late as the JNB/CPT flights should have minimal service upon take-off because it is so tiring just to keep awake at 3am. And I appreciate cold sandwiches which do not emit smell as hot food does (which is disruptive to sleeping pax).

May be the portion could be bigger or the quality of the ingredients better, but one tray of cold wrap with no frills, no smell, and quick distribution imo is appropriate.

I hope they do the same for all ex-India flights. I can't stand curries wafting through the cabin at 2am.
                      Nothing against cold meals but airlines like TK and CX can do a much better job with cold meals (cold starter, sandwich and dessert) on their short domestic hops or red-eyes. SQ's version on JNB/CPT spells CHEAP.

My Travel Map

Comment

Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
                        I guess my biggest grumble with economy food would be when they make one of the options fish/seafood, which I don't eat. The fish/seafood dish is always far less popular and I've often been left with it as the only option by the time they get to me.

I find it bizarre that I can select a "Seafood Only" special meal, but not a "Seafood Free" meal. Who on earth needs to eat only seafood as a dietary requirement???
                        I can't eat sea food meals. So I have this problem. Sometimes i request a non seafood meal by phoning up. They have a special meal for you even if seafood is not on offer. And sometimes the non seafood normal meal is nicer than your special meal.

Comment

If SQ is voted best, it simply suggest that the others are worse. It does not mean that it is good at all.

I travelled SQ's Y four times last two months and found SQ's Y food mediocre but the good service by the cabin crew made the meals quite pleasant.

Comment

This should really be in the Comedy Awards Master Thread with all the other award nonsense. However, as it has morphed into a discussion on SQ catering in Y we'll leave it.

On the comedy theme of all these (complete and utter bollox) awards, did the rules on those allowed to vote confirm that those that did had flown with every airline out there ?. If not, how can they know who is the best ?.

Comment

Well, at least SQ short haul flight doesn't give out just one small miserable box of meal, or just one doughnut...

Comment

Working...
                              X