Singapore Airlines latest cabin products on the new B777-300ER (77WN) - 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Singapore_Air View Post
    Light blue background with that information = Panasonic Voyager 3D maps. That's the information that's missing from the 2D maps: They don't even have Local time at [Insert Origin City (e.g. San Francisco, Seoul, Hong Kong, Singapore)] or even at Present Position time (The new 3D map has all that information back).

Therefore, conclusive SWU, SWV, SWW, and SWZ have 3D maps. Guess my chances are higher that by the time I fly this December, I will get new cabin products plus 3D maps (Initially 3D maps would have been extra credit but since SQ is updating them to be in tandem with the 77WR and A359, it's another big plus).
    Last edited by SQfanatic; 21 September 2016, 12:44 PM.

Comment

• The more sophisticated the inflight maps system, the better. I almost never bother with movies or TV, but good maps can keep me content for many hours: TY maps for example. The crummy maps system on SQ is also another of my gripes about 2006 J on SQ. I believe there was already better technology back then? My permanent gripe is the inconsistency of the J hard product into and out of MEL. Even 227/228 has been having an outbreak of old J of late. Why?

Comment

• Indeed. It'll be great if they can work in "live" weather - wind direction, cloud cover, etc. Being a photographer I also like to shoot sunrise and sunsets - currently, I've to estimate the times - it'll be great if the system can give me the exact times based on the speed of the plane ... and give me a beep on my smartwatch?

There's so much they can do to make the flight so much more fun especially if one can't sleep.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mikana View Post
          The more sophisticated the inflight maps system, the better. I almost never bother with movies or TV, but good maps can keep me content for many hours: TY maps for example. The crummy maps system on SQ is also another of my gripes about 2006 J on SQ. I believe there was already better technology back then? My permanent gripe is the inconsistency of the J hard product into and out of MEL. Even 227/228 has been having an outbreak of old J of late. Why?
          I am for everything for a good entertainment system not just maps, lots of content, a few movies here and there, news and so on....Before the 2D map with the lack of info, in 2012 even the KrisWorld 2D maps were better before the update, still contained all info relevant and I still liked those better (As even your seats will give the dark blue KrisWorld screen with as much info in both languages which was great). Last year I was not too happy with the maps that's why I am kind of griping on them (I do apologize if I am).

As far as MEL getting the 2006 J now and then on 227/228, again the reason: Peak season is over and they're catching up on a 2 week 77WN maintenance thing that also involves upgrading maps from 2D to 3D. I guess by the time I leave in December, all 77WN should have 3D maps and I guess I'll be a happy camper with even Panasonic Wifi.

It's not only MEL getting 2006 77W, even the nighttime HND flight that returns to SIN around 3pm and at times LHR. I think it's gonna be like that for a while until they get maps upgraded on the 77WN. Seriously, after SWA, sucks to believe no more refits commencing (Are they seriously waiting and fixing up SWB before they proceed further with other 77W planes?)

Comment

• Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
            Indeed. It'll be great if they can work in "live" weather - wind direction, cloud cover, etc. Being a photographer I also like to shoot sunrise and sunsets - currently, I've to estimate the times - it'll be great if the system can give me the exact times based on the speed of the plane ... and give me a beep on my smartwatch?

There's so much they can do to make the flight so much more fun especially if one can't sleep.
            That's a plus but why bother with that honestly? Live weather would be no point if you are flying over the Pacific Ocean. At least 95% of the flights on SQ, I would know when to get a good sunrise/sunset depending on departure and arrival. Perhaps this Winter I will get a good sunrise even if the plane lands in HKG an hour after. Coming back 2 sunsets (No sunrise as F/As will enforce on windowshades being closed); one from SIN-HKG, the other at some point from HKG-SFO. ICN flights its pretty predictable, but it is sad from SFO the ICN flight on SQ will cease to exist anymore (Though flying SQ1/2 has better benefits).

Comment

• So I failed, 9V-SWY is doing 227/228. Eventually I am sure it will go thru the maps upgrade along with SNA soon, optimistically before December peak travel. Chances are still looking higher that I could get a 77WN with 3D maps during the Holidays.

Comment

• I looked at some pics of 9V-SWA (Recent ones as 77WR as the 1st and 4th window near the cockpit are colored tan), and the poster who talked about SWA's Wifi hump: It looks the same as before it got refitted, I don't know what you are talking about. Where is the hump? I don't think its on the 2nd door as I thought like SWU-SNC.

Anyway, has anyone flown SWA with the new OnAir service? If so, is it time based or volume based? I am just curious.

Comment

• Flew WL early Sept it didn't have it. Just got back WL now has 3D maps.

Comment

• Wow, yet another swap of 2006 77W and 77WR....PVG (828/831) got SWA off 305 which is a 77WR, and SQ16 got switched again to a 2006 77W, 9V-SWH (IIRC I think that operated SQ2/1 months ago). Wonder why...Knock on effects? And could it be the same as one poster pointed...No PEY pax for SQ16/15? And SQ866 got a 77WN (SWZ) off SQ1. Ties down to also SWO being in maintenance.

Anyway its only 3 weeks SQ16/15 remain so I will no longer be surprised if the daily 77WR swap to a 2006 77W a little more regularly, after all it is off peak season.
                    Last edited by SQfanatic; 28 September 2016, 05:16 PM.

Comment

• My bad for ranting on the swaps yesterday but I only did because we are in September 2016, the time SQ would have had all their 77W refitted to some config of 2013 products and even now I was a little surprised that SFO got SWH on SQ16/15. It will not surprise me if more days come like that (e.g. Tue-Thu or even Sat).

I hope SQ refits more 77W to at least 77WN configuration along with the new Wifi. Speaking of new Wifi except SWA, sounds like no other 77W are out for refits of Wifi and cabin, I will asssume SWB is still being repaired and getting a new Wifi and cabin. The BA 777 incident I read took 5 months as the plane was not written off. I think by latest November SWB should be flying back in the air unless earlier (It has not flown for nearly the whole Summer and hope sometime this Fall gets fixed up).

Comment

• Question about the Wifi service on the 777-300ER. I'm flying SQ8/7 in early November. Which Wifi system will I likely to get, and will it be volume based on time based? I tried searching but it's rather confusing.

Comment

• Originally posted by vade View Post
                          Question about the Wifi service on the 777-300ER. I'm flying SQ8/7 in early November. Which Wifi system will I likely to get, and will it be volume based on time based? I tried searching SWAbut it's rather confusing.
                          Nothing's guaranteed...At the moment the Sierra Whiskey Birds (SWJ-SWP) have kept the volume based OnAir Wifi system. However, the Sierra November birds (SNB, SNC) have the time based Panasonic/T-Mobile Wifi system.

I know SWA is also a 77WR and I already am 100% sure they installed the new OnAir GX Aviation Wifi. Has anyone flown SWA recently as 77WR? If so, has anyone tried out the new OnAir Wifi? If so, is the new OnAir wifi volume or time based?

Tip/Fun Fact: You can tell the 77Ws will have T-Mobile/Panasonic time based Wifi if the plane has a hump on top of door 2 or a little further (Doesn't just apply to SQ, applies to all other airlines). The ones with OnAir don't have the hump on door 2, and also the same with SWA (No hump on door 2L at all). Consider yourself lucky if you get a SN* 77WR plane.
                          Last edited by SQfanatic; 2 October 2016, 04:55 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by dfs24 View Post
                            Flew WL early Sept it didn't have it. Just got back WL now has 3D maps.
                            Only asked if WL had Wifi, 3D maps I know all 77WR configs have them (shell delivered or refitted from 2006 product). Already got an answer that WL has volume based OnAir. Therefore, sounds like all 77WR have Wifi of some sort or the other.

Comment

• Wow, HKG/SFO (2/1) got switched to 2006 77W, SWR off 631. Is it really every Saturday and Sunday 960 gets a 77W (77WN off SQ1)? It is only a 1 hour flight that could have gotten a plane off 212 or any other 77W off ground and protect SQ1's 77WN to turn back as SQ2. They could have taken the 77WN off 319 though that came in 1 hour to turn back to SQ2. They have done that a lot and resulted in SQ2 departing SIN late. This ties down to SWV in some maintenance or something.

Seriously, while I have always enjoyed SQ's hospitality and service, I would be upset if luck like that happened to me if I flew in December. Honestly, I don't think I should believe like that because SQ2/1 almost always get a 77WN. Especially in 2016 when by now ALL 77W would have been refitted. Seriously, while I believe I should not worry this much, I hope SQ steps their refit game again eventually even if it isn't with PEY.

Comment

• When SQ first announced the SQ31/32 flight as well as the new SIN-SFO/LAX routes, I vaguely remember them also saying that all SIN-SFO/LAX flights operated by the 777-300ER will feature the new J and F products.

Comment

Working...
                                X