Singapore Airlines latest cabin products on the new B777-300ER (77WN) - 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jaywell View Post
    I hope that if 9V-SWB does end up returning to service, that SQ will refit the plane with the new 2013 products and IFE. Does anyone know when SQ will complete refitting the entire 77W fleet? The J seats in the older 77Ws are showing pretty bad wear and tear.
    They were supposed to have been all refitted by September 2016, but that's looking very unlikely right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by chisquared View Post
      They were supposed to have been all refitted by September 2016, but that's looking very unlikely right now.
      Yup, it's definitely going to be mid 2017 or later 2017 if they catch up right now. I can't see them being done by September either.

Comment

• Well,the latest whisper among the crew there might be a chance SQ is looking to refit the remaining 77W into a 3 class (JCL,SCL,EYCL) only to serve routes with low/no F demand. However it remains to be seen now that PEY is falling below expectations but it is certainly depressing to imagine the F cabin slowly disappearing from the network if it does happen!

Comment

• Originally posted by Tonitan View Post
          Well,the latest whisper among the crew there might be a chance SQ is looking to refit the remaining 77W into a 3 class (JCL,SCL,EYCL) only to serve routes with low/no F demand. However it remains to be seen now that PEY is falling below expectations but it is certainly depressing to imagine the F cabin slowly disappearing from the network if it does happen!
          So they're still going to fit them witb PEY regardless of whether that's doing good or not? No more First Class (not even 4 seats)? This will be like the 359 config which I don't mind but then again. So what will happen to the current 77WN already 3 class without PEY? They will go thru this next? I won't be surprised if the current 77WN routes go thru that next (Hopefully that won't be SQ2/1 yet).

Some can still be fitted to 77WR depending on the number of routes and frames. Well at least it will be the 2013 products no matter what. This tells me they're turning into CX.
          Last edited by SQfanatic; 10 July 2016, 05:22 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQfanatic View Post
            So they're still going to fit them witb PEY regardless of whether that's doing good or not? No more First Class (not even 4 seats)? This will be like the 359 config which I don't mind but then again. So what will happen to the current 77WN already 3 class without PEY? They will go thru this next? I won't be surprised if the current 77WN routes go thru that next (Hopefully that won't be SQ2/1 yet).

Some can still be fitted to 77WR depending on the number of routes and frames. Well at least it will be the 2013 products no matter what. This tells me they're turning into CX.
            Well this permutation is one of the many possibilities being considered. I wouldn't even be surprised that the unfitted 77W remain what there are. SQ is careful with any big money spending and they can ill afford another blunder after the PEY experience.

Comment

• http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/...craft-changes/

From airlineroute:

Singapore Airlines has delayed planned aircraft changes for its 4 weekly Singapore – Johannesburg – Cape Town route, reflected in latest schedule update. The 777-300ER aircraft previously scheduled to replace -200ER from 15JUL16, however this is being postponed until 30OCT16 at the earliest.

SQ478 SIN0125 – 0610JNB0710 – 0925CPT 772 x146
              SQ479 CPT1040 – 1240JNB1345 – 0610+1SIN 772 x146

On separate note, service on 03AUG16 is scheduled to be operated by A350-900XWB on one-time basis.

Sounds to me that they're postponing 77W introduction on the Cape Town/Johannesburg route til late October. Probably because they have not done any refits after 9V-SWP yet. Think they will need 3-4 more 77WR (SWQ, SWR, SWS, SWT) for both LAX routes and JNB route, and if they make final changes for doing SIN-MAN-IAH route next.

Comment

• What a total mess this is all turning into...

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
                  What a total mess this is all turning into...
                  Popcorn and beer for you mate it's the best way to watch anything.

If turns out good thank the popcorn if it's bad blame the beer .... Or is it the other way round ?

Oh well will just have to wait and see how things unfold and hopefully it does not impact our flights

Comment

• Does anyone know why SQ has stopped the 77W refits? Will all of them eventually be refitted?

Comment

• Originally posted by jaywell View Post
                      Does anyone know why SQ has stopped the 77W refits? Will all of them eventually be refitted?
                      It is still a good question for anyone to ask. Some suspect its the A350s being delivered that are warranting some 77WR to be freed up. Other obvious reasons are the way PEY is doing on the 77WR routes. The other possible but unlikely reason is a shortage of new seats to install. If it's not the shortage I don't know what stops them from not refitting.....The very minimal they can do is make more 77W into 77WN configuration (Or even 77WT reducing F by half). There was also a rumor mentioning SQ planning to refit all 77W to the A350 config which does not include F at all. And I will say it again the way the refits are going warrants them to be done by mid 2017 if they are at the rate they're at now!

Again everyone, keep in mind new OnAir GX Aviation Wifi is supposed to be installed on the 77Ws by now, many of which is to aid with the refits taking place. The article posted here states so, hope it will be time based like Panasonic/T-Mobile.

If anyone sees evidence on SQ's site about the JNB/CPT route being 77W, can anyone confirm if there is PEY being offered (77WR)? If so, this means they need to do more refits if they want to have 77WR for those dates.

Side note: Watching the Southern Hemisphere getting 77WR daily on both SYD and AKL is nice but sounds like this is having knock on effects on SQ866/865, DXB, and once in a while, FRA (HKG has had a few days of the old 77W other days of the 77WN right off SQ1 whereas DXB has had a number of days with a older 77W, FRA had a day they had a 77WN off SQ1 too). Not enough frames and maintenance means some routes are missing out on the 77WR which means they need to get back to refitting them ASAP!

Comment

• Offtopic question perhaps.......but relating to the 77W.....what aircraft would SQ be using to replace these birds once their time is up? Some of them are hitting 9 years of service....A350 doesn't have the capacity or the First Class cabins these birds have......would SQ be looking at ordering the 777-8 or 777-9? Or would they simply increase number of flights using A350 to make up the difference? Would be nice to continue seeing SQ fly Boeing birds......always had a soft spot for these birds....though that's just me.

Comment

• Originally posted by loldude333 View Post
                          Offtopic question perhaps.......but relating to the 77W.....what aircraft would SQ be using to replace these birds once their time is up? Some of them are hitting 9 years of service....A350 doesn't have the capacity or the First Class cabins these birds have......would SQ be looking at ordering the 777-8 or 777-9? Or would they simply increase number of flights using A350 to make up the difference? Would be nice to continue seeing SQ fly Boeing birds......always had a soft spot for these birds....though that's just me.
                          Interesting point. 777-300ER is a different bird compared to the A350s. It has its own merits. 9 yrs in aviation is considered young if you look at other established airlines that have planes running past 20+ years. In Singapore we all like new things and 10 yr COE don't really make us appreciate keeping things even if they are still good.

I think SIA is gonna keep the 777-300ER birds for while (maybe till 15 yrs) so they still got a lot of mileage in them. SIA has no firm orders on the 777x project but I'd really like to them in SQ inventory in the near future but that's a few more years and Boeing has a few firm orders from other airlines. But as of now I doubt the 77W replacement program is in play yet. Maybe the A350 will be used to replace routes with low F yields but I can't see them as options on popular routes

Comment

Offtopic question perhaps.......but relating to the 77W.....what aircraft would SQ be using to replace these birds once their time is up? Some of them are hitting 9 years of service....A350 doesn't have the capacity or the First Class cabins these birds have......would SQ be looking at ordering the 777-8 or 777-9? Or would they simply increase number of flights using A350 to make up the difference? Would be nice to continue seeing SQ fly Boeing birds......always had a soft spot for these birds....though that's just me.
                            All of the older 777-300ERs are currently undergoing pretty extensive refits, which indicates that SQ are not planning to replace these planes for at least another 5-6 years or more. From what I can tell, SQ likes the 777-300ER a lot, as it has proven to be an efficient, comfortable, and reliable aircraft. In terms of the 777-300ERs eventual replacement, I can see SQ either ordering the A350-1000 or the 777-9.

Comment

• I think in part the replacement will depend on whether there's going to be an A380neo or not. I can see SQ leaning towards the 777-9 if there's no A380neo, since the size might be needed for the flagship/busy routes like SIN-LHR.

Comment

F is slowing dying anyway so I wouldn't be shocked if that goes. The A350 doesn't have significantly less seats than the 77W.

Comment

Working...
                                X