Singapore Airlines latest cabin products on the new B777-300ER (77WN) - 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jumbojet Lover View Post
    So the 5 top-up A380s are 1-for-1 replacements with no growth in A380 fleet size?
    I guess it depends on what deal the lessors are willing to offer for a continuation of the lease. Given that it will probably be hard to place these birds with another operator, they may be willing to offer more favourable lease terms. It will probably also depend on the performance penalty that these early birds have compared to later builds.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jumbojet Lover View Post
      So the 5 top-up A380s are 1-for-1 replacements with no growth in A380 fleet size?
      Yes that was the original plan. I don't think SQ would want to expand their A380 fleet as they are quite hard to fill at times, so it might be wiser to replace them instead.

But as what a340-313x said, SQ might also extend the lease if the deal is favourable enough.

Comment

• Originally posted by FSJZ View Post
        Yes that was the original plan. I don't think SQ would want to expand their A380 fleet as they are quite hard to fill at times, so it might be wiser to replace them instead.

But as what a340-313x said, SQ might also extend the lease if the deal is favourable enough.
        If 380N can be used to replace older A380s, then how about purchase A380s from MH and dump some of its oldest A380s or return to Airbus?

I am sure the newer ones could been better in terms of quality since earlier products usually contain more defects?

Comment

• Originally posted by jonleong View Post
          Was on SQ866 today SIN-HKG and 9V-SWJ is refitted. No PE though.
          Is this a temporary configuration until the PE seats are ready? At that point, will it be a fairly simple exercise of removing a few rows of Y seats and replacing them with the PE seats, or more work needs to be done? It seems odd to carry out two rounds of refit within a few months. Can the new Y seats be removed and fit into other planes that are being refurbished? It would be a pity to waste them.

Thanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Metropolitan Airlines View Post
            If 380N can be used to replace older A380s, then how about purchase A380s from MH and dump some of its oldest A380s or return to Airbus?

I am sure the newer ones could been better in terms of quality since earlier products usually contain more defects?
            I'm no aviation expert, but I think the cost of refitting the seats are going to be terribly expensive?
            Life's A Bitch,
            Love It

If GOD created me for only 1 reason. That reason would be to the love of my wife. If there was any other reasons involved, that would be for the love of Singapore Airlines

Flown with me? - http://my.flightmemory.com/inix

Comment

• Originally posted by 259850 View Post
              Is this a temporary configuration until the PE seats are ready? At that point, will it be a fairly simple exercise of removing a few rows of Y seats and replacing them with the PE seats, or more work needs to be done? It seems odd to carry out two rounds of refit within a few months. Can the new Y seats be removed and fit into other planes that are being refurbished? It would be a pity to waste them.

Thanks.
              Yes, this is a temporary configuration fitted to 9V-SWI and 9V-SWJ, presumably to help out on the routes that are flying with the 2013 products. The PE refit should not take too long, as they will just have to remove some Y seats, and install the PE seats and cabin partition. That should be why SQ seems to be so ambitious with refitting all 19 A380s and 19 77Ws with PE in such a short timeframe.

The current Y seats should probably be refreshed and cleaned to be fitted on another plane. I don't think SQ would let it go to waste, especially since it is less than a year old.

Comment

Yes, this is a temporary configuration fitted to 9V-SWI and 9V-SWJ, presumably to help out on the routes that are flying with the 2013 products. The PE refit should not take too long, as they will just have to remove some Y seats, and install the PE seats and cabin partition. That should be why SQ seems to be so ambitious with refitting all 19 A380s and 19 77Ws with PE in such a short timeframe.

The current Y seats should probably be refreshed and cleaned to be fitted on another plane. I don't think SQ would let it go to waste, especially since it is less than a year old.
                Thanks for the reply.

Comment

Y

It'd be nice to see them on the retrofitted 777s, especially the SV* birds.
                  The world's too large a place not to go wandering.

Comment

• Originally posted by viraj735 View Post
                    It'd be nice to see them on the retrofitted 777s, especially the SV* birds.
                    Then you'll be pleasantly surprised by end of this year

Comment

• Originally posted by sq_a380 View Post
                      Then you'll be pleasantly surprised by end of this year
                      Why would SQ be refitting the SV series? Those are B777-200ER's that are about to be retired and replaced with A350-900's... Or am I missing something?

Comment

Which non 77WN routes are using the 2013 product? I don't know if I've seen that anywhere (or please point me to where I can).

Comment

• Originally posted by jaywell View Post
                          Why would SQ be refitting the SV series? Those are B777-200ER's that are about to be retired and replaced with A350-900's... Or am I missing something?
                          Just a guess:

1. Lessors want a lot of money to extend leases on the A333s so some of them are going back to the lessors, which means more than a couple of the older B777s will stay since they are owned by SQ.

2. The old Y seats and IFE coming off the B77Ws being retrofitted will probably end up in some of the older B777s as it's a waste to just chuck them away.

Comment

• Originally posted by jaywell View Post
                            I don't think you're missing anything at all! The SV* series have already had their refit to prolong their life a little longer while SQ waits for the A350s and the old IFE system wouldn't support the new 2013 product anyway.

Comment

• Flying SQ15 next Friday afternoon on the 77W. Wish I had the 77WN (As was told by SQ that it will operated by the older 77W). Kind of a pity that I won't be able to try the new products that they're offering on SQ1/2 since I'm coming back on SQ16 on the 24th. I really wish since next week onwards is peak Summer season, they put a daily SQ15/16 as a 77WN for a change.

Looking at the new Economy Class, it looks a lot like Emirates' version...Touchscreen (Bigger screen). touchscreen remote, etc I had when I flew their A380 back in December/January, but more better entertainment choices and nicer KrisWorld.

Aside from this, is the KrisWorld Map on the older 77Ws the same as it was in 2012, or different map/overall different interface? Wish it had a touchscreen too.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
                                I don't think you're missing anything at all! The SV* series have already had their refit to prolong their life a little longer while SQ waits for the A350s and the old IFE system wouldn't support the new 2013 product anyway.
                                For the fuel saving effect for the new A350-900, I think they will be first to replace the SV* series, since SV* is exclusively for long haul routes such as Sydney, Christchurch, Copenhagen etc.

I have a feeling that SQ will use the first 20 A350-900 to replace SV* series, as well as freeing up B77W from Brazil, Houston, Manchester etc to replace B773.

What needs upgrade is SQ* and SR* series of B772. I think they will be replaced last and I think upgrading their economy product is appropriate or else it will be difficult to attract short haul passengers.

Comment

Working...
                                X