Retirement Age of Singapore Girls?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by StarG View Post
    You mean you actually asked the same question to more than a dozen SQ girls (just last year alone)?
    Most of those conversations were last month (during which I flew SQ 11 times) when I brought up the subject of Iris Pederson's retirement. The SQ girls have the most interesting things to say about octogenarian FAs.

Comment

Originally posted by zvezda View Post
      The SQ girls have the most interesting things to say about octogenarian FAs.
      Tell us, tell us!!!
      My Cafe Adventures
      Be Among The First To Savour Aromatic Vietnamese Coffee
      http://www.mycafeadventures.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SQ168 View Post
        A bit OT; Does anyone know how hard it is for the girls (and boys) to get promoted to a higher rank?

I spoke with one SQ girl who said she'd been flying for over 5 years but had yet to don the green kebaya as promotions were hard to come by.
        A few I've spoke to have also moaned about it being difficult to get promoted of late. What does help their cause is customer feedback to SQ praising them.

So if you have a favourite, write in and tell them. Next time you see than, they may be in a Green Kebaya.
        Last edited by MAN Flyer; 4 May 2007, 10:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
          What does help their cause is customer feedback to SQ praising them.

So if you have a favourite, write in and tell them.
          Will continue to do that

Comment

Originally posted by SQ168 View Post
            A bit OT; Does anyone know how hard it is for the girls (and boys) to get promoted to a higher rank?

I spoke with one SQ girl who said she'd been flying for over 5 years but had yet to don the green kebaya as promotions were hard to come by.
            a relative got it after 8 years.

Comment

Here's an interesting snippet, speaking with a LSS last week in F she confirmed 5 year revolving contracts but with conditions. One notable condition was that stewardeses could only increase one dress size from their time of commencement. Comments?

Comment

Well...I guess that she might be more beautiful than other crew and up to 100% SQ's ad standard. Then SQ doesnt want her to be promoted and to have a green kebaya.

Comment

UA has more benefits than SQ, ie SQ only allows 1 free flight per year but UA gives a quite a few for immediate family and a few for friends (standby business class) per year. Other thing is that I'm not too sure if the UA SIN based crew are unionized. If you have taken a UA flight from US - NRT, NRT - SIN, the NRT - SIN crew (SIN based) has much much better service than the US - NRT crew (US based). I think the SIN based crew are allowed to help with luggage (not so sure about this).

Comment

Originally posted by fone View Post
                    UA has more benefits than SQ, ie SQ only allows 1 free flight per year but UA gives a quite a few for immediate family and a few for friends (standby business class) per year. Other thing is that I'm not too sure if the UA SIN based crew are unionized. If you have taken a UA flight from US - NRT, NRT - SIN, the NRT - SIN crew (SIN based) has much much better service than the US - NRT crew (US based). I think the SIN based crew are allowed to help with luggage (not so sure about this).
                    I wouldn't necessarily say UA has more benefits. SQ crew get allowances which vary depending on destination. I don't believe UA crews get this. UA has a crew base in SIN and BKK that are independent of their other domiciles which are staffed with crews represented by the AFA. In honesty the US based crews could help you with your luggage like the SIN/BKK crews, but it just comes down to personal motivation and the culture. Motivation and culture of the SIN/BKK based crews is much different than those of the US based crews. Don't get me wrong you might find some helpful crew in the US, but more often than not you're on your own.

Some of the SIN based FA's are former UA crew from the pre 9/11 days and others are former SQ crew. The general consensus is that the service levels are very different from these crews vs. the non-BKK/SIN crews. It's really sad though as flying UA intra-Asia vs. flying UA elsewhere is like flying 2 different airlines.

Comment

Originally posted by kluau88 View Post
                      I wouldn't necessarily say UA has more benefits. SQ crew get allowances which vary depending on destination. I don't believe UA crews get this. UA has a crew base in SIN and BKK that are independent of their other domiciles which are staffed with crews represented by the AFA. In honesty the US based crews could help you with your luggage like the SIN/BKK crews, but it just comes down to personal motivation and the culture. Motivation and culture of the SIN/BKK based crews is much different than those of the US based crews. Don't get me wrong you might find some helpful crew in the US, but more often than not you're on your own.

Some of the SIN based FA's are former UA crew from the pre 9/11 days and others are former SQ crew. The general consensus is that the service levels are very different from these crews vs. the non-BKK/SIN crews. It's really sad though as flying UA intra-Asia vs. flying UA elsewhere is like flying 2 different airlines.
                      Hmm, I have taken UA from US to SIN quite a few times and everytime I took, I have always heard that the US-based FA cannot help out in the passengers' luggage as they are prevented from doing so by the union. The phrase they said was that "they cannot help".

Comment

Working...
                      X