Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Namaskar! A rare report on an elusive airline to the roof of the world: RA J KUL-KTM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We're off on time. Reputation aside, I'm pleasantly surprised at this performance.

Doors closed!

Normally, I'd rather be on these birds. Or those golden goose thingys from down south, but today.... SQFG is going to do her best intrepid traveller imitation.

The 757 is a real rocket, and RA's is not in too bad shape for their age. Alpha Charlie Alpha was delivered 1987 i think.
    Off on 14R, and a really sharpish right hand turn to head back north, putting us abeam of KUL/WMKK. This thing has got too much power!

Kuala Lumpur wakes up to a lazy Saturday morning. That's pretty much a great percentage of the Klang Valley. Bye bye my home city! We're off for a few days!

Comment

The seatbelt signs come off and the crew come around with a round of drinks.

Okay, it's a little Y class for normal standards, but still - a drink is a drink

They've also got a quarterly inflight Mag. not a bad read it was too.

Menus are handed out

Basically an A4 piece of paper photocopied on both side and put into the folder above.

Comment

That's the starter

Some past legacies - when Nepal Airlines was known as Royal Nepal Airlines. When they became a republic and had the King step down, they lost the Royal Moniker. The China however, hasn't been updated yet

Pretty tasty though.

Here's where the standards slipped a bit:

After the reasonably nicely presented starter, this was the mains - and i thought it was disappointing. (Chicken Rendang)

next up: my own IFE
        Last edited by SQflyergirl; 23 August 2010, 05:57 PM.

Comment

So halfway through the cruise - the flying engineer comes over and occupies 1D. And I ask him - what's with the cancellations?

he tells me 9N-ACB, their other bird, has been AOG in KTM for a few days, with a hydraulic leak in main gear bogie - they're waiting for parts. Nice of him to elaborate.

I've brought a few movies in my netbook to watch. Unca Garmin also made the trip with me, since there's no IFE.

Me driving too fast as usual

Even into the water at times

Even had Everest, Kanchenjunga (3rd highest in the world) and KTM Tribhuvan airport's coordinates plugged in to see how far we were away.

I know a lot has been said about getting great views and all coming into KTM, but the engineer tells me we never go near the mountains. True enough - the closest i got to everest was 193km, and no closer than 280 to Kanchengjunga.

Oh well - immigration forms are soon handed out. I've taken pics just to show you:

Comment

Does this qualify as "mountain view?" I think that was as picturesque as it got

Closer and closer - we're almost there!

With a great big thud we're wheels on the ground 10 minutes ahead of schedule at 11.10 local. Funnily enough. Nepal is GMT +5.45 - which was weird. Couldn't quite adjust properly!

Comment

The temporarily crippled 9N-ACB "Gandaki" awaiting medication from Dr. Boeing to come heal her wounds.

Buddha Air has a sizeable presence here too

As we deplane - time for a few quick snaps on the tarmac (they don't stop you, unlike other airports)

And down this corridor to immigration. INFO for Edmund Hilary wannabes who decide on turning around: Just yonder is a transfer counter, and it was manned when i was there. - which takes you to a side door back to security for your onward flight.

And that's the end of the flight report. Hope you enjoyed reading it. Have received some PM's asking me to show some pics from the Hyatt as well as some KTM scenes - so that's coming up next

Comment

Awesome!!!!
                Can't wait for the next installment for KTM scenery and Hyatt insight report....
                Truly awesome insight report from the truly traveler....!!

Comment

What no Krug????
                  God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

I'm enjoying this TR a lot

Comment

Great report thanks!

looking forward to more pix!
                      My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

Some thoughts

Some thoughts on Nepal Airlines.

I think it's pretty clear that the Singapore girl won't be getting her Kebaya in a twist as far as competition is concerned.

People like the big bad Wolf driving the crane, nor the bearded virgin will be losing any sleep any time soon.

You'll notice I haven't mentioned the crew yet. RA's cabin crew (at least on this flight) were all female. They were genuinely warm, friendly and I thought they had a nice easy going style. Spoken english was definitely above some other airlines I've flown, and when you talk to them about Nepal and things to do there - they're very sincere and certainly animated about it, and they're proud of their country.

The hardware's a little long in the tooth, but the software - is another thing. The engineer told me the A320 and A330 they had coming seems stalled with no resolution in sight (internal politics, or so I was told)

I was also touched by the effort the staff at the New Road main office to help me resolve another trip for later -and they managed to sort that one out for me whilst smiling and making small talk. And to top if off - I got invited to their homes for dinner that night (I declined, but was touched nonetheless)

So, yes, I did enjoy the flight. Am I about to make RA my favourite and regular airline? - not quite, but will I fly them again to KTM? I think so. I'm already looking forward to my next trip there

Next up: A few pics from KTM, the Hyatt Regency Kathmandu and the ride home on TG

Comment

Nice one

Looking foward to the rest....

Comment

Great report - Thanks. Looks like an interesting trip. Haven't flown on a 757 in years, always was a powerful machine. Way too much aeroplane for most of the missions it flew. Found a nice niche on transatlantic routes now though.

Comment

The Hyatt Regency Kathmandu

This hotel's within earshot (well, not quite, but it's close - you can almost see the end of the runway from the regency club lounge).

Officially it's something like 4km to Tribhuvan - but as the crow flies I think it can't be more than 1500m in a straight line.

Getting TO and FROM the airport however, is more like a 20 minute ride. That's cause of pedestrians, animals, cows that sit in the middle of the road (I kid you not on this one)

Entrance to the oasis in Mad mad kathmandu

I think this means "hyatt" in hindi

Rather stunning entrance to the lobby

Once inside, this rather nice looking decor awaits

Comment

Booked myself a regency club room - here's the rather large lounge on the 6th Floor. Interestingly though - if you have a regency club room, you have to pass through the lounge to get to your wing. Sorta like a bit of security beforehand.

You get a view out to the Boudanath Stupa from the lounge too

Comment

Working...
                                X