Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Namaskar! A rare report on an elusive airline to the roof of the world: RA J KUL-KTM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nasty... It's not the first time either - from the BBC:

Eighteen people, including 12 Germans, were killed when a small plane crashed in 2008 in Lukla.

The 550m-long (1,800ft) sloping airstrip at Lukla perched on a hillside some 2,800m above sea level, with a steep 700m drop at one end, is considered one of the most difficult landings in the world.

Comment

Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
      Thanks for the informative TR. I still have loads of questions for you! Would list them all out when I find some time in the next week.
      Wow. You seem keen . Are you going to Kathmandu also? Why is everyone going there these days?

Originally posted by milehighj View Post
      Great TR, as usual. Think I'll stick with MI or TG for my future travels to KTM....
      I think you stick right

Originally posted by Ratman View Post
      I am wondering how's the weather there? Looks quite cooling and refreshing
      It was, but it was more raining than anything. 24 c average.

Originally posted by jhm View Post
      Nasty... It's not the first time either - from the BBC:
      I was actually mulling a side trip to lukla to see the airport

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
        Are you going to Kathmandu also? Why is everyone going there these days?
        Maybe because it's Visit Nepal Year soon ? I know I went to Phuket in 2008 for Visit Malaysia Year!

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
          Maybe because it's Visit Nepal Year soon ? I know I went to Phuket in 2008 for Visit Malaysia Year!
          Dear JHM - If I may, phuket is in Thailand, so I'm a little confused here Why would you go to Phuket for visit malaysia year?

Would that roughly have been around the time where everyone was playing Sir Richard Attenborough?

Comment

Maybe I'm thinking of Visit Malaysia (Airlines) Year 2008 then!

Comment

I was assigned 12A first so I settled in and had a rather nice greek gentleman in 12B for company.

But when the doors closed, I found 11J and K still empty, so I asked the FA if could move there. Bade the greek gentleman a fond adieu - and moved

Good legroom here: Genuine article SQFG shot. Accept no imitations

TG's 772's have shell seats in a comfy 2-2-2 arrangement. The 773 has 2-3-2 instead

Hurrah! A magazine that's updated monthly!

It's 3 hours 5 from KTM to BKK, says 3 hours here, but I suppose the captain knew better when he said so.

SLH has pushed back on her trek to SIN.

Which leaves some spare time for these ramp rats to chill and relax a bit

Pushing back - 9N-ACA is in the background preparing to go to DEL i think.

Comment

Here she comes!: This 320 is already doing some 100+ knots on her takeoff roll when I snapped her. Kinda turned out ok with a 1/1600 exposure

Taxiing out - we require a full length run - so down until the taxi way tapers on to the runway, head back and do a 180.

Some shots of Kathmandu as we turn around. The Hyatt is in there somewhere!

And we're off! - Charlie Bravo's still where we left her.

That's a departure on 02 - we head north towards the mountains for a bit before turning back south!

Comment

It's a pretty bumpy ride out. The skipper keeps the seat belt lights on for a long time - till we pass through 29,000. Can't blame him - as the weather was really crappy.

Onward we go!

Crossing the border into India

Time for the menu then!

Comment

That's the starter

and the prawns. I love prawns and this does not look like much - but it was VERY good

The rest of the flight's uneventful as we pass into Burma and onward to Suvarnabhumi, but before we land........ a salute to an old friend! DMK - remembered always. I miss you lots!

The last rays of light leave the Kingdom of Thailand

And the sun sets on Krungthep. One night in bangkok would've been nice but i need to get to sin today.

Two reds, two whites. We're on the glideslope nicely. The VASI beams tell you. 3 or more reds: You're too low. 3 or more whites: You're too high. The forward facing camera is a cool touch. Wish our golden goose had this feature

Comment

I don't have pics of the onward flight on to SIN on TG, was way too tired. After arrival in SIN and meeting up with our own MANFlyer in the SKL T3, I'm off to the transit hotel in T3 before heading back to KUL the next day.

And yes, some (not many) have tarmac facing views

Suite Dreams! Literally. UA's 744's have been equipped with the new seats. This bird will operate UA896 to HKG and on to the US in the early morning. For now she rests in SIN, and so do I

Not so suite dreams. This 777's operating UA804 in the morning to NRT. Their 777's haven't been retrofitted with the new seats yet Still, I fall asleep with two of Boeing's finest for company

I gotta say I love these rooms (PM me if you want to know which these are)

And that concludes this trip report. Hope you enjoyed reading it. I'm still in a daze cause I can't actually believe I went to Nepal for the weekend

Comment

Your TR brings back memories! I was there 11 years ago and your photos of KTM, both the city and the airport, show that there has been little change in the way they look since I was last there. Thanks for the great photos!

Comment

It's great to see Nepal in a peaceful state. I remember a friend who went there during the height of the political unrest a few months ago. There was no chance to roam around the city as the people poured into the street for a mass demonstration, basically the whole day.

SQFG, that's one nice view from the airport hotel room.

Comment

Thanks for the rest of the report. very nice indeed. cant wait to go!

I like those transit rooms!!! You can walk around naked in front of the pilots! lol
                            My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

Thanks for the awesome TR. As usual, you and Kyo always have interesting reports!! Only downside here was I was hoping to see more mountain shots. Other than that, it was great!!

Comment

I found this TR most interesting and will hope to one day visit Nepal as well. Will have to check if Aussies need visas... would love to see Everest if I ever do go, though (and that sounds like it might be quite hard? Wonder if there are any helicopter rides to/from the Hyatt)... thanks SQflyergirl!

Thanks for the kind words, sumitsan, you're going to be my inspiration to finish the OSL report before a year's gone by since it happened...

Comment

Working...
                                X