No announcement yet.

LHR T5 opening day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I almost contemplated booking a flight to CDG to try the terminal, but I resisted the temptation - especially as I had an opportunity to visit it during the trials. I suppose it could have been a fun day out , hanging around in the lounge all day waiting for the delays and cancellations... thank god!

Once everything is sorted out, I'm sure it will be a fantastic terminal, not the least because the previous terminals were so hideous! I actually quite enjoyed seeing it for my T5 trial, even though being upgraded on an imaginary flight to JFK was really just agonising to watch!

Comment

I am flying into T5 from CDG in about two weeks..

Wish me luck! I booked an earlier flight just in case, but early or late doesn't matter if my checked luggage goes MIA!

Comment

Originally posted by Derek View Post
        Wish me luck! I booked an earlier flight just in case, but early or late doesn't matter if my checked luggage goes MIA!
        If you luggage goes to Miami? I'd call myself lucky if I booked a flight to CDG & ended up in MIA too

Comment

Originally posted by super bean flicker View Post
          If you luggage goes to Miami? I'd call myself lucky if I booked a flight to CDG & ended up in MIA too
          I don't believe he was referring to Miami.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIA.
          Last edited by KeithMEL; 29 March 2008, 07:37 AM. Reason: wrong url
          All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

After the cancellation of my return from CDG yesterday evening (I was notified by BA by both e-mail and SMS and changed my flight by calling BAEC and only had to wait on hold for a few minutes ), I was rebooked on the first flight this morning.

I don't know about checked luggage (as I had none but BA at CDG were accepting it) but otherwise, the flight went without any problems at all. No delays in departing, parking on arrival, deplaning or immigration.

There was a large scrum of people on arrival but they appeared to be for flight connections and the EU line at immigration was totally empty. The baggage hall was empty and clear (both of people and luggage) as well.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
              I don't believe he was referring to Miami.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M.I.A.
              Hehehe.. I think this was the link that you are after..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIA

Though I must say, it would be hilarious if my luggage ended up in Miami or with a British vocalist, songwriter, composer, record producer and visual artist..

(Hilarious for about 5 minutes, until it kicks in that I may never see my luggage again)

Comment

Good to hear everything went well with your rebooking, jhm.

It is my opinion that in a few years time people will have forgotten the delays and the baggage mess of this first week in operation. Instead, they (and millions of others) will be enjoying the benefits of a modern, brand new and technologically advanced terminal.

All good things which exist are the fruits of originality.” - John Stuart Mill

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                  After the fun and games today, I have another T5 jolly this Saturday (a turnaround to EDI in the afternoon and back in the evening).
                  ... which I see has now been cancelled!

Comment

Hands up anyone who is any way surprised to read of this chaos.

I was chatting with 6 other Brits at a function yesterday in Singapore and not one was in any way surprised.

Comment

TBH, the magnitude of the chaos surprised me ... but less than the deer-staring-at-headlights appearance that BA presented to the world.
                      ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                        Hands up anyone who is any way surprised to read of this chaos.

I was chatting with 6 other Brits at a function yesterday in Singapore and not one was in any way surprised.
                        Yes... were they cooing about SIN T3?

Somehow I think 4.3 Billion Quid could have been spent better... like proper carpeting for example. The shiny floors at T5 just looks soooo cold!

The entire airport could have been made into a 2nd Kew gardens look.. but its just aesthetically unappealing.

Comment

jhm, thank you for sharing the photos with us. It's a very comprehensive set; I can't imagine how long it took you before your flight. Thanks again for taking the time to do so!
                          Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                          TBH, the magnitude of the chaos surprised me ... but less than the deer-staring-at-headlights appearance that BA presented to the world.
                          While some level of chaos was to be expected (IMO) with the opening of a new terminal, like you, I was surprised at the magnitude of it.

Comment

Originally posted by cawhite View Post
                            While some level of chaos was to be expected (IMO) with the opening of a new terminal, like you, I was surprised at the magnitude of it.
                            Exactly. Hiccups: expected. Prolonged choking fit: not expected.

I'm hopeful that BA will redeem itself in service recovery (and, from a selfish vantage point, in fire sales on tier points-earning fares to BA destinations in the next few months ; I can do with a visit to ORD or YVR ).
                            ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Did T5 this morning to GLA, now trying to get back.

Briefly, the "Ten minute" security took 24 minutes.

Nice big broken floor tiles at entrance to South security.

Security now has an extra check for pax going to UK destinations including a compulsory photograph that they check at the gate. Don't know why.

The South BA "Galleries" exec club was shut due to flooding.

Escalator from gate to air bridge was failed. Infirm Pax had to negotiate three storeys worth of stairs.

Outgoing plane went tech.

I am now trying to get back, with return flight currently showing an hour delay. Wish me luck.

Howard

Comment

I would have flown BD instead....

Comment

Working...
                                X