• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's not going well......

Comment

Originally posted by Singapore_Air View Post
      It's not going well......
      To be expected really but perhaps not quite on this magnitude!

I now have an evening in Paris rather than returning on the last flight. Where to go for a spot of dinner ?

Comment

Maybe BAA and BA will give you some water while waiting in line

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
          The first line pax come across - the SSCI machines

Perhaps I should re-title this "The calm before the storm"!

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
            To be expected really but perhaps not quite on this magnitude!

I now have an evening in Paris rather than returning on the last flight. Where to go for a spot of dinner ?
            That's the spirit, jhm: use the lemon that BAA threw you to flavor a G&T.
            ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

I remember the conversation with Jub777 at Hakkasan.

His predictions were spot on!

Comment

In the big scheme of things it does not sound like things are too bad, every major opening has it problems. But it is rather embarassing that it is the baggage system which has been the major problem after they have been realy pushing how great the new system is.

Comment

Very nice jhm - thanks!

I am relieved that Galleries First looks MUCH nicer than what the promo pics showed.

Just saw a news feed on Skynews about T5 - "Terminal chaos" and that BA is accepting hand luggage only.
                  All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
                    I am relieved that Galleries First looks MUCH nicer than what the promo pics showed.
                    Definitely! The pictures I've seen were a bit dark and gloomy but the reality is actually quite nice, e.g. the champagne bar is very brightly lit and the whole lounge itself feels spacious and airy (particularly with the great views of the apron and countryside from the windows). The decor of the furniture and surroundings was okay - not overpowering like I thought it would be from the publicity photos.

I can imagine myself happily sitting with a glass of wine on the viewing terrace. The only letdown was the F&B offerings which seemed to be exactly the same as those in the existing lounges.

Compared to the SIN SKL F in T2 (which I've been to) and T3 (which I've only seen photos of), Galleries First seems to be better in terms of size, decor and space; and facilities (the number of PCs around not only in the W + E Zone but elsewhere). However, the SKL F (and J) easily beat it hands down from the food offerings available (I don't know about the quality of wines etc between the two).

The Galleries Club lounge was of course more crowded than Galleries First (which was actually quite empty). I wandered into the Concorde Room by mistake (which I'm sure many others will do - by going through what you think is the door to the lounge after security south, particularly as it says Galleries on the level above the door) because it wasn't policed at the time - I didn't dare go round taking photos though.

The F check-in was closed so I used a SSCI machine and was disappointed to find that it doesn't produce even a B&W white card but a flimsy piece of heat transfer B&W printed paper.

I was one of the first through security (and I used Fast Track) so I couldn't tell whether BA's claims of 10 minutes from check-in to passing security will be true. However, I thought that the number of security checkpoints was less than I thought there would be but we shall see. The new system where everything needs to be put in a tray (which you get from underneath the belt) and the trays move along a conveyor will I am sure be confusing to lots of people (like me) when they encounter it for the first time.

Perhaps it's me but after reading all the publicity about how the terminal is vast, the check-in area didn't feel particularly large. It felt less spacious than (for example) SIN T2 or HKG. Part of the reason is of course the fact that T5's floor area is stacked on many different layers.

The first flight out of T5 which I was on - BA302 to CDG - was uneventful apart from Willie Walsh greeting every pax at the plane door; a little card on the breakfast tray and a T5 round chocolate (the same as that which SQFAN got). Club Europe was rammed with it going back at least 15-20 rows but the cabin crew did a great job in serving everyone a hot breakfast, towels and drinks within the 40 minute flight. The flight was scheduled for 6:20 and we pushed back at 6:25 and took after shortly afterwards. A shame that the rest of the flights that day weren't quite so on time! I only had hand luggage so don't know whether there were any luggage problems.

After the fun and games today, I have another T5 jolly this Saturday (a turnaround to EDI in the afternoon and back in the evening). I'd like to look around the other Galleries Club south lounge (which was closed), perhaps the lounge in the satellite buildling (but I read that I'd have to go back landside to get back to the main building) and Gordon Ramsay's restaurant, Plane Food (if it's open).
                    Last edited by jhm; 28 March 2008, 06:18 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the pics jhm, looks all shiny & new. If only they had spent more money on actually testing it all! I'm glad I am not travelling through T5 in the near future. Can't the British do anything right? Makes me appreciate how smoothly the changover from SIN T2 to T3 was for SQ, from a passengers perspective it was a breeze compared to LHR T5.

More info on the chaos at http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7317352.stm

Comment

The opening is now been called on the BBC "Heathrow Hell", "Heathrow Horror"... quite strong words from the BBC!.... doesn't sound good for the first day. Lets see how they go tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by super bean flicker View Post
                          Can't the British do anything right?

I think that's quite a generalization.
                          Last edited by jjpb3; 28 March 2008, 08:09 AM.
                          ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

The same things (and actually even worse) happened when the new International Airport in Athens, Greece opened few years ago. An airport designed and built by Germans (Hochtief), with hundred of simulation and testing hours conducted prior to the official opening. Thousands of lost luggage, stranded passengers, all this went on for a full week.

It is very frustrating for the (unlucky) passengers who were the first to go through T5. But in most cases it is always like this when a new facility is given to the public. No matter how much effort has been put in simulation and testing, it is actually never adequate in ensuring things will be 100% smooth on the first few days.

Of course I didn't hear anything similar when T3 in Changi opened on Jan 9th this year, but perhaps the set up and integration with the existing system of T1 & T2 was easier. I really don't know.

One thing I do know, however, is that when a new facility (of such a large scale) opens to the public, it is best if any traveler avoid traveling during the first few days, in order to let time for all first-time problems to be smoothly solved. If one has to travel, take only carry-on luggage, if possible.

Staff at airports do their best to serve the travelers, but sometimes this not always possible, especially when the facility and/or the system is new. This is why we all have to have understanding.

"We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves." - Buddha

Comment

i think LHR new terminal 5 looks rather cold, like the new savarnbhumi airport in Bangkok. It doesnt have that warm cozzy feeling like Sin new terminal 3

Comment

Baggage halted at new £4.3bn T5

Came across this article in another aviation forum. Bad day for BA and BAA.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7317352.stm

Check in of luggages are suspended, and passengers are only allowed carry on luggage.

Comment

Working...
                                X