Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nonstop to NY on SIA:SQ24 SIN-JFK in Premium, SQ21 EWR-SIN in Business, TWA Hotel@JFK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yet another wonderfully vivid TR! We are almost flying with you yflyer with yr hi-res pics of every detail transporting us to the airport cabin and hotel with you.

Your TWA hotel report is fascinating and makes me wonder whether our old Kallang Airport terminal building could be similarly transformed. It has laid abandoned for so long and a retro- aviation-themed hotel would surely be a commercially viable project. Perhaps coupled with a DC-3 which IIRC a de-comm one used to sit at a museum in Sentosa (in RSAF roundel no less and some urban legend of its origins). I enjoyed reading yr Conne ‘ride’ too.

awaiting the rest of yr TR otw home, but am i noticing absence of yr signature Run Report?

thanks once again yflyer!

Comment

This might have been the world's longest commercial flight, but time seemed to pass quickly...

One final glass of champagne. Alas, as the flight drew to a close, they were out of the 2014 vintage, so they served me the Essentiel instead...

We were now descending over the West coast of the Malaysian peninsula...

...on a bright and sunny Thursday afternoon...

Final approach...

...with views of the ships anchored of Singapore's East Coast out the right side windows (on the other side of the plane, pax would have been treated to views of the Singapore skyline)...

On the ground at 4:58pm local time, 20+ minutes ahead of the scheduled arrival time of 5:25pm.

Flight time today was 17 hours and 43 minutes.

At the gate at Changi Terminal 2.

Comment

I don't know what arriving pax think of the new T2 carpeting...

As usual, not much of an arrivals queue...

The new look baggage claim...

...and landside arrivals...

Overall, I had a great flight. While I think SQ's long haul business class seats are better on the A380 and 77WR compared to the A359, the overall experience, meals, and inflight service onboard SQ21 were top notch. HIghlights were the delicious BTC main courses, and the superb cabin crew. 17 hours and 43 minutes passed quickly, and I enjoyed every minute of my flight.

I thought Piper Heidsieck Vintage 2014 Champagne was very good too. So good that I bought myself a bottle from duty free that day.

On these long flights, SQ publishes the inflight menu online at least a few weeks prior to the flight, and it is possible to pre-select your choice of main from this menu a few days before flying as well. It is defintitely worth your while to check out the menus, as well as the extensive BTC options available, rather than just sticking to the onboard menu. When I browsed the menus online, I found that I didn't find the standard menus to be that interesting, so I ordered from the BTC menu. No regrets picking the BTC options -- they were alll very satisfying, with the pan-roasted veal cutlet being quite exceptional.

What could be done better? I think the 2013 J seat on the SQ A359 is due for an upgrade. It needs a touchscreen display, and better seat ergonomics. Enough of this bed flipping, and let's have a seat where you can lounge comfortably. Competition has moved on, and there are many better J seats out there.

All that said, I do think this is currently the best way that one can get from New York to Singapore.
        Last edited by yflyer; 29 January 2024, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Final reflections...

The SQ nonstops to and from JFK/EWR are my favourite way to from Singapore to New York and back. Not only are these nonstops the the quickest way to fly between these cities, but for me, they are also the best in terms of jetlag mitigation for my body clock, not to mention less risk of misconnects or delays.

The SQ PEY solo seats in the rear of the A359 ULR are the best. Grab them if you can.

If you are an aviation enthusiast, and you are flying to JFK, do visit the TWA Hotel there. Or better yet, stay for a night. You won't regret it!

Flying out of EWR on SQ21, the BTC pan roasted veal cutlet was spectacular. One of the nicest meals I've had on SQ ever.

And finally, it was really great to see the last of the pandemic restrictions lifted, with cabin crew mostly without masks, warm nuts in bowls, and hot towel service in both PEY and J. We can all enjoy the full SQ experience once again!

Thanks for reading!

Last edited by yflyer; 29 January 2024, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jammed View Post
            Yet another wonderfully vivid TR! We are almost flying with you yflyer with yr hi-res pics of every detail transporting us to the airport cabin and hotel with you.

Your TWA hotel report is fascinating and makes me wonder whether our old Kallang Airport terminal building could be similarly transformed. It has laid abandoned for so long and a retro- aviation-themed hotel would surely be a commercially viable project. Perhaps coupled with a DC-3 which IIRC a de-comm one used to sit at a museum in Sentosa (in RSAF roundel no less and some urban legend of its origins). I enjoyed reading yr Conne ‘ride’ too.

awaiting the rest of yr TR otw home, but am i noticing absence of yr signature Run Report?

thanks once again yflyer!
            Thanks so much for your kind comments, jammed! Yes the TWA Hotel was quite incredible. Agree that they should do something with Kallang Airport too. The terminal building is in quite good condition (I see it often, as these days I do many of my runs at the 100 Plus Promenade at the National Stadium). I would love to have a look at the interior of a DC3!

As for runs, the trip was so packed I literally had no opportunity to head out for a run during the whole trip! It was quote cold too, with temperatures close to 0 almost every day too. I would have loved to do another Central Park run, or even a run on the new High Line. Maybe next time! Thanks again for reading!

Comment

Excellent TR as always, yflyer! The pictures of New York from the air are incredible. Wonderful pictures of the TWA Hotel as well. I did go to the hotel myself one time, but only had time for a brief visit, although I did go in the Connie. So it is nice to see so much more of the hotel here.

Also great to see hot towels back in use. They were always a consistent feature on SQ flights I took over the decades, and it was a bit of a disappointment (although understandable) when they were discontinued during the pandemic.

Comment

Originally posted by SQGamespeed View Post
                Excellent TR as always, yflyer! The pictures of New York from the air are incredible. Wonderful pictures of the TWA Hotel as well. I did go to the hotel myself one time, but only had time for a brief visit, although I did go in the Connie. So it is nice to see so much more of the hotel here.
                Thank you for reading, SQGamespeed! Nice to know you visited the TWA Hotel. It seems quite a few SQTalkers have been there. I really enjoyed walking around the Connie on the tarmac, and also spending time inside.

I was very lucky with the pics of NY. I happened to be stting on the correct side of the plane, and the dusk and dawn timings were just right for great lighting for both SIN-JFK and EWR-SIN pics.

Originally posted by SQGamespeed View Post
                Also great to see hot towels back in use. They were always a consistent feature on SQ flights I took over the decades, and it was a bit of a disappointment (although understandable) when they were discontinued during the pandemic.
                Agree! I've always considered SQ's hot towels as one of their signature customer service elements. Nothing quite like a refreshing hot towel at the start of the flight, and also after waking up for meal service.

Comment

Another great read. Thanks for sharing yflyer.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ218 View Post
                    Another great read. Thanks for sharing yflyer.
                    Thanks for reading, SQ218!

Comment

I knew I had to get to this trip report and it didn’t disappoint. I have a booking for SQ24 as well this year. I’m taking your recommendation of a solo seat on my way back. Will get in touch soon to see about organising an SQ meet in June!

Comment

Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
                        I knew I had to get to this trip report and it didn’t disappoint. I have a booking for SQ24 as well this year. I’m taking your recommendation of a solo seat on my way back. Will get in touch soon to see about organising an SQ meet in June!
                        Thanks for reading, SQ228!

Nice to hear you are flying on SQ24! Yes, the solo seats great! Do also check out the BTC food options. Would be great to meet up in June, along with any other SQTalkers who might be around!

Comment

Oh I definitely will be doing BTC. My RTW flight last year was all PEY and I booked every sector unless I liked the planned menu better and in those cases I booked that choice. Ex-SIN flights are always fantastic for options.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
                            Oh I definitely will be doing BTC. My RTW flight last year was all PEY and I booked every sector unless I liked the planned menu better and in those cases I booked that choice. Ex-SIN flights are always fantastic for options.
                            Your timing is perfect! SQ has just rolled out a new PEY catering concept, starting 31 March. Much nicer than before!

Comment

More reason to love flying Australia - US via Singapore!

Comment

Hilton time square is my go to hotel in NYC. Reasonably priced and perfect location.

I did this route many times pre-covid and only once post covid. My next trip next month will be via Dubai. No prizes for guessing why I don't fly direct.

Comment

Working...
                                X