Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nonstop to NY on SIA:SQ24 SIN-JFK in Premium, SQ21 EWR-SIN in Business, TWA Hotel@JFK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yflyer
    replied
    Originally posted by SQfanatic View Post
    Fantastic TR as always yflyer. I enjoyed your SQ pictures in Premium Economy & Business Class. Very nice pictures of New York itself
    Thanks for reading, SQfanatic!

Originally posted by SQfanatic View Post
    At this point, wishful thinking, curious to know what will come on the upcoming Boeing 779 aircraft.
    I am also very keen to try the new aircraft, and SQ's new cabin products, when they finally arrive.

It's been a really long time since SQ launched anything new in the cabin!

Leave a comment:

• SQfanatic
    replied
    Fantastic TR as always yflyer. I enjoyed your SQ pictures in Premium Economy & Business Class. Very nice pictures of New York itself.

One of the things on my future list at some point or the other is to see the New Year ball fall at Times Square so this may look like a good pick, maybe expensive at that time.

I consider SQ's J class and Premium Economy even after 10 years to still be considered "new" and sleek. The older version of it looked far more aged. They're still being installed on even the new A350's. At this point, wishful thinking, curious to know what will come on the upcoming Boeing 779 aircraft.

The only difference is how cramped the SQ aircraft feels, especially in Y class. Once you flew an A380 in one month, even all of a sudden once you step on SQ, there's a major difference. Even an EK 77W is a little tighter than the A380, but the aisles aren't too bad. This is from my experience in the last 2 months of 2022. If I fly SQ again at some point, I'd like to try Premium Economy & Book the Cook.

Leave a comment:

• Lennyberg
    replied
    Originally posted by yflyer View Post

Yes, love the location and agree the price is reasonable.

Via Dubai? Are you flying mainly EK these days?

SQ fares for the nonstop SIN-JFK or SIN-EWR are really high, although there are some bargains in PEY if you book far out enough.

For myself, since I no longer fly enough to maintain status on both SQ/Star as well as QF/EK/Oneworld, I now focus on Star Alliance and SQ (And Scoot when I need to penny pinch...). I would still do this sector in PEY on SQ if the right fares were available, otherwise I would probably do LH via FRA or UA via SFO or ANA via HND or NRT.
    Yeah I fly EK alot more these days. At this rate I will surely make EK plat faster than PPS. Lost my OW emerald couple of years back so like you I focus on SQ and EK as much as I can.

I would love to head do this route again but the price is easily double that of EK. Plus I have UAE residency so I have to head in to punch card at least once every 6 months. In couple of weeks I'll be doing SIN DXB YYZ JFK MIA then MIA DXB SIN.

Leave a comment:

• yflyer
    replied
    Originally posted by Lennyberg View Post
    Hilton time square is my go to hotel in NYC. Reasonably priced and perfect location.
    Yes, love the location and agree the price is reasonable.

Originally posted by Lennyberg View Post
    I did this route many times pre-covid and only once post covid. My next trip next month will be via Dubai. No prizes for guessing why I don't fly direct.
    Via Dubai? Are you flying mainly EK these days?

SQ fares for the nonstop SIN-JFK or SIN-EWR are really high, although there are some bargains in PEY if you book far out enough.

For myself, since I no longer fly enough to maintain status on both SQ/Star as well as QF/EK/Oneworld, I now focus on Star Alliance and SQ (And Scoot when I need to penny pinch...). I would still do this sector in PEY on SQ if the right fares were available, otherwise I would probably do LH via FRA or UA via SFO or ANA via HND or NRT.

Leave a comment:

• Lennyberg
    replied
    Hilton time square is my go to hotel in NYC. Reasonably priced and perfect location.

I did this route many times pre-covid and only once post covid. My next trip next month will be via Dubai. No prizes for guessing why I don't fly direct.

Leave a comment:

• SQ228
    replied
    More reason to love flying Australia - US via Singapore!

Leave a comment:

• yflyer
    replied
    Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
    Oh I definitely will be doing BTC. My RTW flight last year was all PEY and I booked every sector unless I liked the planned menu better and in those cases I booked that choice. Ex-SIN flights are always fantastic for options.
    Your timing is perfect! SQ has just rolled out a new PEY catering concept, starting 31 March. Much nicer than before!

Leave a comment:

• SQ228
    replied
    Oh I definitely will be doing BTC. My RTW flight last year was all PEY and I booked every sector unless I liked the planned menu better and in those cases I booked that choice. Ex-SIN flights are always fantastic for options.

Leave a comment:

• yflyer
    replied
    Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
    I knew I had to get to this trip report and it didn’t disappoint. I have a booking for SQ24 as well this year. I’m taking your recommendation of a solo seat on my way back. Will get in touch soon to see about organising an SQ meet in June!
    Thanks for reading, SQ228!

Nice to hear you are flying on SQ24! Yes, the solo seats great! Do also check out the BTC food options. Would be great to meet up in June, along with any other SQTalkers who might be around!

Leave a comment:

• SQ228
    replied
    I knew I had to get to this trip report and it didn’t disappoint. I have a booking for SQ24 as well this year. I’m taking your recommendation of a solo seat on my way back. Will get in touch soon to see about organising an SQ meet in June!

Leave a comment:

• yflyer
    replied
    Originally posted by SQ218 View Post
    Another great read. Thanks for sharing yflyer.
    Thanks for reading, SQ218!

Leave a comment:

• SQ218
    replied
    Another great read. Thanks for sharing yflyer.

Leave a comment:

• yflyer
    replied
    Originally posted by SQGamespeed View Post
    Excellent TR as always, yflyer! The pictures of New York from the air are incredible. Wonderful pictures of the TWA Hotel as well. I did go to the hotel myself one time, but only had time for a brief visit, although I did go in the Connie. So it is nice to see so much more of the hotel here.
    Thank you for reading, SQGamespeed! Nice to know you visited the TWA Hotel. It seems quite a few SQTalkers have been there. I really enjoyed walking around the Connie on the tarmac, and also spending time inside.

I was very lucky with the pics of NY. I happened to be stting on the correct side of the plane, and the dusk and dawn timings were just right for great lighting for both SIN-JFK and EWR-SIN pics.

Originally posted by SQGamespeed View Post
    Also great to see hot towels back in use. They were always a consistent feature on SQ flights I took over the decades, and it was a bit of a disappointment (although understandable) when they were discontinued during the pandemic.
    Agree! I've always considered SQ's hot towels as one of their signature customer service elements. Nothing quite like a refreshing hot towel at the start of the flight, and also after waking up for meal service.

Leave a comment:

• SQGamespeed
    replied
    Excellent TR as always, yflyer! The pictures of New York from the air are incredible. Wonderful pictures of the TWA Hotel as well. I did go to the hotel myself one time, but only had time for a brief visit, although I did go in the Connie. So it is nice to see so much more of the hotel here.

Also great to see hot towels back in use. They were always a consistent feature on SQ flights I took over the decades, and it was a bit of a disappointment (although understandable) when they were discontinued during the pandemic.

Leave a comment:

• yflyer
    replied
    Originally posted by jammed View Post
    Yet another wonderfully vivid TR! We are almost flying with you yflyer with yr hi-res pics of every detail transporting us to the airport cabin and hotel with you.

Your TWA hotel report is fascinating and makes me wonder whether our old Kallang Airport terminal building could be similarly transformed. It has laid abandoned for so long and a retro- aviation-themed hotel would surely be a commercially viable project. Perhaps coupled with a DC-3 which IIRC a de-comm one used to sit at a museum in Sentosa (in RSAF roundel no less and some urban legend of its origins). I enjoyed reading yr Conne ‘ride’ too.

awaiting the rest of yr TR otw home, but am i noticing absence of yr signature Run Report?

thanks once again yflyer!
    Thanks so much for your kind comments, jammed! Yes the TWA Hotel was quite incredible. Agree that they should do something with Kallang Airport too. The terminal building is in quite good condition (I see it often, as these days I do many of my runs at the 100 Plus Promenade at the National Stadium). I would love to have a look at the interior of a DC3!

As for runs, the trip was so packed I literally had no opportunity to head out for a run during the whole trip! It was quote cold too, with temperatures close to 0 almost every day too. I would have loved to do another Central Park run, or even a run on the new High Line. Maybe next time! Thanks again for reading!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X