No announcement yet.

A Dedication To The B747: SIN-NRT-SIN In Raffles Class

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah memories - gotta get me a ride on this bird on this airline one last time

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
      BA however was the first airline to offer lie flat business class, I think.
      I remember some legal wrangle over copyright infringement.
      As far as I remember, the legal issue with BA was about SQ SkySuites rather than SpaceBeds.

Comment

Thanks for the TR. Everytime I flew Business class on this aircraft, I always request the upper deck because it is my favorite cabin in the aircraft with 11A as my favorite seat. I guess I'm one of few who get the nostalgic feeling in the upper deck.

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
        We should enjoy them while they last. I have JFK-FRA and FRA-JFK sectors on another future BKK trip this coming April and and have seats 11K and 11A booked respectively. Hopefully there is no aircraft change before my trip, and hopefully the birds I get are SPO & SPM, the only 2 birds in the current 744 fleet that I haven't traveled in. Might do another TR if time permits after that.

Comment

Originally posted by SQTalked View Post
          Compared to Nikko Hotel at Odaiba, Hyatt seems so weak. Should budget permits, I would definitely recommend Nikko Hotel Odiba anyday. Great service, great views! Can you imagine they allowed early check in at 10am... (from early SQ HND flights).
          Thanks for your recommendation. I'll bear that in mind if I fly into HND

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
          Good idea

Originally posted by StarG View Post
          As far as I remember, the legal issue with BA was about SQ SkySuites rather than SpaceBeds.
          You've cleared up a long standing misperception. I've always wondered how SQ's SpaceBed resembled BA's business class product!

Originally posted by sumitsan View Post
          Thanks for the TR. Everytime I flew Business class on this aircraft, I always request the upper deck because it is my favorite cabin in the aircraft with 11A as my favorite seat. I guess I'm one of few who get the nostalgic feeling in the upper deck.
          Welcome. The upper deck too claustrophobic for me. And usually more full than downstairs.

We should enjoy them while they last. I have JFK-FRA and FRA-JFK sectors on another future BKK trip this coming April and and have seats 11K and 11A booked respectively. Hopefully there is no aircraft change before my trip, and hopefully the birds I get are SPO & SPM, the only 2 birds in the current 744 fleet that I haven't traveled in. Might do another TR if time permits after that.
          Always enjoy your TRs

By the time we settled into our room, it was nearly 8pm so we found somewhere near to eat.

The restaurant is located along the sidewalk that leads to Shinjuku Station West Entrance. Dinner was beef tongue on rice..

.. with a side of sashimi

I saw this new Japanese invention for the first time..

The marble at the bottom of the bottle is the bottle stopper.

Press on the bottle top and it falls in. Apparently that's how it was done in the old days!

It was not the best meal we've had in Japan. Perhaps because it's run by Chinese. Mandarin speaking waitress & cook served us..

The next morning, we took the stairs at the side of the hotel.. there's a 7-11 in the basement seen to the left of stairs

..and headed for Shinjuku Station's West Entrance ( where the Cocoon Building is )

Closest subway station to HR - Tochomae on Oedo Line - is under that bridge

Then cut through Shinjuku Terrace City to South Entrance of station

Quite a long walk, as be seen in this next shot at the soba restaurant in Taka Times Square

Note the twin towers to the left of picture.

That's Tokyo Metropolitan Government Offices next to Hyatt Regency.

From there, head for Cocoon Building then to Shinjuku South Entrance.

In the foreground, over the railway tracks, is the new Shinjuku South Entrance

Lunch Break ( from Shopping )

So our soba lunch at Taka Times Square..

Seiro ( duck ) soba...

.. followed by dessert

You can't go wrong eating at the restaurants in Japanese department stores

The department stores invite you to open there so all the restaurants have track records
          Last edited by 9V-SIA; 16 March 2011, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Hotel Century Southern Tower

I may have found the perfect hotel in Shinjuku

Search criteria: as close to the station as possible

Seen from soba place at Taka Times Square ( see bridge across rail tracks? Krespy Kreme Doughnuts to right, Eddie Bauer to left of bridge )

We walked there to check out the lobby ( have to take a lift to where the big windows are )

Nice bright lobby with spectacular views in 2 directions

View of Taka Times Square from the lobby

And Shinjuku Station in its entirety. Building the new South Entrance in the foreground

And N'Ex can be seen making a stop at the station. Perfect!

Close up from the bridge

My kinda place. Easy entry to, and exit from, the city. Like Swissotel Namba Osaka
            Last edited by 9V-SIA; 23 February 2011, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SQTalked View Post
              Compared to Nikko Hotel at Odaiba, Hyatt seems so weak. Should budget permits, I would definitely recommend Nikko Hotel Odiba anyday. Great service, great views! Can you imagine they allowed early check in at 10am... (from early SQ HND flights).
              i agree with you
              Nikko Hotel at Odaiba is really good ! I remember checking in at 8 am in the morning for no extra charge . They did give me a room which was from a lower price range at first but they called me at 2300 to apologise for the mistake and i got upgraded to a suite FOC for the next 3 nights

The food looks so appetizing 9V-SIA . I envy you on your frequent trips to Japan !

Comment

I have stayed really near to Hyatt Regency Tokyo - at the Hilton Shinjuku at the end of the street. From your pictures, it seems like the room is more pleasant and modern at the Hilton.

In Shinjuku area, the mini eateries in the small alley behind the KFC near Odakyu Department Store offer many good foods.

Comment

Many thanks for another TR, 9V-SIA - always enjoyable to read and view.

I'm a bit confused. You write:

We will be going to TYO in December. [...]
                  This trip took place last month so momentum will not be as fast as usual
                  Did you start writing this post last year, finished it in January and posted it now ?

Having stayed in both the HR and the PH in TYO, I actually prefer the former not only because it's a lot cheaper but I found the service warmer and friendlier. Yes, the rooms are not so nice at the HR (mine had a smell) but then I also thought the PH's room (at least those which they give for award stays even to Hyatt diamonds) had cheap furnishings (I've posted about this before). The HR also has a relatively inexpensive French restaurant (where I had lunch; they have special offers for HR guests) overseen by Michel Troisgros if you don't have the time to make a pilgramage to the Troisgros family's famed restaurant near Lyon (the food is well worth the trip).

I've seen the glass stopper in a bottle before in London if I order ramune in a Japanese restaurant (similar to lemonade).

Comment

Originally posted by soarbeyond View Post
                    i agree with you
                    Nikko Hotel at Odaiba is really good ! I remember checking in at 8 am in the morning for no extra charge . They did give me a room which was from a lower price range at first but they called me at 2300 to apologise for the mistake and i got upgraded to a suite FOC for the next 3 nights
                    Ooooh.. love the sound of that word

The food looks so appetizing 9V-SIA . I envy you on your frequent trips to Japan !
                    You ain't seen nothing yet..

Originally posted by StarG View Post
                    I have stayed really near to Hyatt Regency Tokyo - at the Hilton Shinjuku at the end of the street. From your pictures, it seems like the room is more pleasant and modern at the Hilton.

In Shinjuku area, the mini eateries in the small alley behind the KFC near Odakyu Department Store offer many good foods.
                    On my honeymoon a long, long time ago, we ate in the mini eateries by the railway tracks. My first introduction to conveyor belt sushi

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                    Many thanks for another TR, 9V-SIA - always enjoyable to read and view.

I'm a bit confused. You write:

Amended. Intro clarified.

Did you start writing this post last year, finished it in January and posted it now ?
                    This is hot off the press: Trip is from January 2011. We have plans to go again in Dec 2011. You're confusing me with someone else

In Dec 2011, my kids (in college in US) will meet us there before we head to Hokkaido.

Their itin: SIN-NRT-JFK-NRT/HND-CTS-HND-SIN.

HND may increase our chances of catching Pokemon 744

Having stayed in both the HR and the PH in TYO, I actually prefer the former not only because it's a lot cheaper but I found the service warmer and friendlier. Yes, the rooms are not so nice at the HR (mine had a smell) but then I also thought the PH's room (at least those which they give for award stays even to Hyatt diamonds) had cheap furnishings (I've posted about this before).
                    Generally speaking, a newer hotel is still better than an old, refurbished one so I like GH at Roppongi Hills.

I'd like to try PH one day... just as a tribute to that Bill Murray & Scarlett Johansson movie!

The HR also has a relatively inexpensive French restaurant (where I had lunch; they have special offers for HR guests) overseen by Michel Troisgros if you don't have the time to make a pilgramage to the Troisgros family's famed restaurant near Lyon (the food is well worth the trip).
                    That's another word that I like. Didn't have time to try.

I've seen the glass stopper in a bottle before in London if I order ramune in a Japanese restaurant (similar to lemonade).
                    That's what I drank
                    Last edited by 9V-SIA; 23 February 2011, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Very, very, very nice TR, Sir.... As always...
                      Thanks for sharing, Sir...

Btw, your room at HR looks different than ours on our last Dec's stay...
                      Got those rooms with the bargain price (thanks to phaleesy for the info...)

The bathroom has separated toilet...

Here's the pictures...

The room has Tocho (TMG)'s view...

Comment

I'd like to try PH one day... just as a tribute to that Bill Murray & Scarlett Johansson movie!
                        Hope that's not the only reason. Though there are some critics, many of us believe that if you want to see a Five Star Hotel (which really does hold the rating) then this is it. PHT is what I measure all other hotels by.
                        HUGE AL

Comment

Great report TYO looks great i must say i have never been to Japan but it's on my list and the 747 well love that plane

Comment

Originally posted by Dent@SUB View Post
                            Very, very, very nice TR, Sir.... As always...
                            Thanks for sharing, Sir...

Btw, your room at HR looks different than ours on our last Dec's stay...
                            Got those rooms with the bargain price (thanks to phaleesy for the info...)
                            Your room looks so much nicer than the one I was given.

Either you got upgraded or you were in a newly renovated room.

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                            Hope that's not the only reason. Though there are some critics, many of us believe that if you want to see a Five Star Hotel (which really does hold the rating) then this is it. PHT is what I measure all other hotels by.
                            I'll be sure to try it some day. The next hotel we stayed at is my Best In The World.

Totally blew my mind. But you'll have to wait a while longer before I get to it..

Originally posted by TIKIS View Post
                            Great report TYO looks great i must say i have never been to Japan but it's on my list and the 747 well love that plane
                            Thanks. A fascinating country. I feel like I've landed on another planet when I visit Japan!

Hal Yamashita

This was the first of 4 restaurants we got our concierge to book.

It's at Tokyo Midtown in Roppongi. From HR, you can almost get there without exposing yourself to the wintry weather!

Only the short walk outdoors from HR to the subway station ( Tochomae on Oedo Line )

Direct line to Roppongi. The subway station connects to Tokyo Midtown

Modern Japanese Kaiseki prepared in front of you

Amuse Bouche

Mie Prefecture Amberjack Carpaccio with Vegetable and Japanese Citrus Fruit "Sudaichi" Flavor

Tasmanian Fresh Oyster and Salmon Roe with Japanese Radish and Watercress Citrus Sauce

Sea Urchin Roll by Kobe Beef with smoked Caviar. Kobe is raw

Potage of organic dried Shitake and organic Rice

Okayama Prefecture Leek Tempura, roasted French Duck and Japanese Soba with Amber Sauce Kansai Style

Grilled Kobe Sirloin Beef and premium shaved soft Kombu with Double Sauce of Japanese Citron "Yuzu" & Kombu

Steamed Rice "Takikomi-gohan" of Mie Prefecture Sea Bream and Japanese Sake with Japanese Trefoil and Japanese Premium Green Tea "sencha"

Homemade Sorbet & Jelly of Yamanashi Prefecture Apple

Chocolate Cake using best Chocolate from Ecuador

Fantastic dinner...
                            Last edited by 9V-SIA; 24 February 2011, 08:50 PM.

Comment

Sea Urchin Roll by Kobe Beef with smoked Caviar. Kobe is raw
                              Wow...

Dent@SUB's HR room also looks a lot nicer than the one I got when I stayed there once! Like 9V-SIA, the GH is also my first choice out of the PH/GH/HR - much nicer in every aspect than the HR (of course!) and (so I thought) not so stiffly Japanese formal like the PH.

Looking forward to finding out about the Best In The World (which must be really something given TRs/pictures of other hotels stayed in)!

Comment

Your room looks so much nicer than the one I was given.

Either you got upgraded or you were in a newly renovated room.

Originally posted by jhm View Post

Dent@SUB's HR room also looks a lot nicer than the one I got when I stayed there once! Like 9V-SIA, the GH is also my first choice out of the PH/GH/HR - much nicer in every aspect than the HR (of course!) and (so I thought) not so stiffly Japanese formal like the PH.
                                I booked for View Deluxe Twin (but no Mt Fuji view like 9V-SIA's room.. , only Tocho view and some part of Shinjuku Park).... and there was no mention about any upgrade or what so ever from the staff...

Comment

Working...
                                X