Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jhm View Post
    Not so far.

Have you considered if the timings work and if it's possible to cancel the train ticket, flying direct from Lyon-Saint Exupéry airport (LYS) to LHR ? BA have 3 flights daily - the last flight arrives at 8pm so that won't work for your connection. As for the mid-day flight:

BA361 - Fri 19 Sep
    LYS 11:55
    LHR 12:40

the cost is an eye watering EUR 360 for a oneway in Y but with BA miles+cash, it's a much more reasonable 2,250 BA miles and £61.60.
    If i were to take this flight, should I apply for BAEC?

Comment

Originally posted by SuperJonJon View Post
      If i were to take this flight, should I apply for BAEC?
      If you want to pay cash for this flight, you can put the miles into any OW account, e.g. BAEC, CX MPC, AA, QF etc. If put in BAEC, you'd earn 100% of miles and 20 tier points for a oneway in (expensive) Y (600 required for BA silver assuming non-Eurocheat levels).

If you want to pay cash+BA miles for this flight, you also need to apply for a BAEC account and then either:

(i) purchase 3,000 BA miles for £63 (in addition to the £61.60 mentioned above); or

(ii) join my household account (in which case a few rounds of satay in Singapore in exchange for 2,250 of my miles would be fine ),

and then make the cash+miles award booking yourself.

Comment

I'll give the Four Seasons a call next week to book for the 19th at (say) 8:30pm ? 4 of us I think:

jhm
        jjpb3
        phaleesy
        Savage25

but others are of course very welcome.
        Booked (020 7229 4320) but as the restaurant is always rammed full, there may still be a wait...

Comment

Booked (020 7229 4320) but as the restaurant is always rammed full, there may still be a wait...
          Thanks, jhm.

Now what's your decision on the pre-dinner drinks venue?
          ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Hmm these were what we had before... I am sure you guys will have more elaborate meals than us, the simple people.

Please post the pictures of the DO please ...

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
              Now what's your decision on the pre-dinner drinks venue?
              So much for wanting to procrastinate! Not knowing the area, I have the following suggestions:

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
              Meet near or at Paddington (I'd seen a couple of pubs around there, and there's always the Hilton's bar)
              Originally posted by UK flyer View Post
              There are various pubs inside the station - one on the main concourse and another on the upper level of The Lawn called the Mad Bishop and Bear which I've been in before.
              The bar (Steam) in the Hilton (connected by footbridge to Paddington station) would be the most convenient but it seems a bit expensive, e.g. £9 for a cocktail!

The pub on the main concourse of the station will no doubt be quite noisy and busy and whilst the other one - the Mad Bishop and Bear - seems quieter, it still looks from the picture like a railway station pub.

So how about somewhere further away from the station ? Having had a search, how about this place ?

Mizu, a bar in the basement of a restaurant called Yakitoria:

25 Sheldon Square
              Paddington Central
              London W2 6EY
              Tel: 020 3214 3000

"We are located ... on the canal tow path immediately adjacent to Bishop's Bridge. The Hammersmith and City Line, Paddington Railway Station (at the rear of the station or along platform 8) and the Heathrow Express platforms are all within a few minutes walking distance."

Map here. One review:

Japanese inspired cocktails & a collection of 23 sakes are the main draws at this slick basement lounge bar below Yakitoria restaurant. Hailed as a ‘haven’ from the busy offices of the Paddington Basin above, Mizu has an interior design that combines a minimalist oriental aesthetic with comfy leather sofas. Choose from cocktails such as Tanuki – a blend of shochu, peach schnapps & peach purée – or if you’re thirsty a pitcher of Soyo Kaze: Mizu’s version of a Sea Breeze, at £14.50 for a jug for four people. The saké collection stretches from sweet to dry & covers the five main categories: Junmai, Daiginjo, Ginjo, Honjozo & Nigori. A stylish refuge when you need to escape from the world.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ LPP View Post
                Hmm these were what we had before... I am sure you guys will have more elaborate meals than us, the simple people.
                Surely not! This is the food which simple people like me eat on holiday :

Comment

..., I have the following suggestions:

The bar (Steam) in

No comment... other wise I will get another kinky and inappropriate warning love letter.

Surely not! This is the food which simple people like me eat on holiday :

We are from a small village ... must eat rice ... can't handle potato and ketchup...

I wonder how much you get paid for the advertisement here.

Apology to the MODs for my OT here.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ LPP View Post

I wonder how much you get paid for the advertisement here.

Apology to the MODs for my OT here.
                    I am sure one of the mods here don't mind the choice of drink.

Comment

I hope you have a good T5 experience, SuperJonJon!

When you arrive and if you have time, you may want to take a lift to the departures level at the top as the size of the building isn't really evident from arrivals down below. (SIN T3 also seems pretty big too on my one and only visit so far.)

Afterwards, just take the HEX from T5 to T3 (it's free if you sit in standard class - no ticket required) and then drop off your luggage as mentioned by jjpb3.

Comment

I hope you have a good T5 experience, SuperJonJon!

When you arrive and if you have time, you may want to take a lift to the departures level at the top as the size of the building isn't really evident from arrivals down below. (SIN T3 also seems pretty big too on my one and only visit so far.)

Afterwards, just take the HEX from T5 to T3 (it's free if you sit in standard class - no ticket required) and then drop off your luggage as mentioned by jjpb3.
                        Thanks for the advice. Any arrivals lounge for expensive Y tickets?

Comment

Any arrivals lounge for expensive Y tickets?
                          There's no arrivals lounge for expensive J shorthaul tickets, let alone Y!

Comment

I am sure one of the mods here don't mind the choice of drink.
                            Yes, indeed! She had cartons of coke stored in her house when we last visited her.

Comment

Are we still meeting at the HEX ticket office at Paddington at 6.45pm?

Comment

Originally posted by Savage25 View Post
                                Are we still meeting at the HEX ticket office at Paddington at 6.45pm?
                                Good question! Perhaps just go straight to the bar (assuming the location is okay for everyone) ?

(I don't know whether I'll be able to make it on Friday evening - it's a bit touch and go with work at the moment. If I can, I'll find you wherever you may be as I have your numbers.)

Comment

Working...
                                X