LON Meet-Up with SuperJonJon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...ire/article.do

Whilst it seems the fire was quite severe (it went on for 17 hours; consuming 700 metres of tunnel etc):

All Shuttle and Eurostar train services through the tunnel have been suspended since 3pm yesterday. There is no indication when they will resume but Eurotunnel, the French company that owns the tunnel, said it hoped to start running a limited service later today. A spokesman said that once Eurotunnel was allowed back in it would attempt to start services in the unaffected south tunnel "within hours".

This will allow about half the normal timetable to be operated. Trains can also be run through intact sections of the damaged north tunnel, switching over to the south tunnel to bypass the site of the fire.

He said this arrangement would allow a near normal service, although it would add five to 10 minutes to journey times. It is likely to be weeks before the north tunnel is fully reopened.

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
      No service today on the Eurostar. Customers are advised to wait and see for services this weekend.

I just checked BA flights CDG-LHR. Next Friday afternoon/evening, they seem to be pricing at full Y for oneway - around EUR 400-600 - and C is only a tiny bit more. Next Saturday morning, it's currently EUR 150 for a oneway in Y and increasing sharply for flights later that day.

There's - currently - BA miles award availability as follows:

Fri:

BA317
      CDG 15:05
      LHR 15:20

BA325
      CDG 19:15
      LHR 19:35

Sat:

BA303
      CDG 7:40
      LHR 8:00

BA305
      CDG 9:45
      LHR 10:05

Pricing at 4,500 BA miles plus £38.70.

SuperJonJon, if you want and don't have BA miles, I'm happy to book one of these for you (assuming there's still availability). You can pay me back the miles with satay in Singapore!

If cancelled 1 full day before departure, all the miles and cash come back (there's meant to be a £15 service charge but, from past experience, I believe this is waived for BA golds).
      I am constantly monitoring the situation and hopefully some form of Eurostar service will start soon. What are the chances?

Comment

Originally posted by SuperJonJon View Post
        Somehow SQ LPP seems to be taking on traits of the evil CGK! I am so tempted by the dark side....the force is strong.
        I am so glad ... I have a strong dark side force in me!
        My next suggestion is to put in the waiting list for the 20th September flights.

..., if you want and don't have BA miles, I'm happy to book one of these for you (assuming there's still availability). You can pay me back the miles with satay in Singapore! .
        Next time I know to whom I ask for help when in need for LHR-ZRH!

PS: I really miss London and Zurich.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ LPP View Post
          PS: I really miss London and Zurich.
          And I'm tempted by another trip to YVR (if I can survive immigration! ).

What's the AC 77W like ?

Comment

And I'm tempted by another trip to YVR (if I can survive immigration! ).

What's the AC 77W like ?
            What's wrong with YVR immigration?
            AC 77W is better than 767 definitely. I took 77W SYD-YVR and it's in the trip report I think... Unless you want to take LHR-LAX on NZ which has similar herringbone style J seats.

Comment

AC 77W is similar to NZ flat beds ? I won't be starting in LHR so NZ is not an option.

Comment

Hmm I heard about special fares on AC... (Not from LHR )
                But, yes, from the AC herringbone style I tried, 77W is the best. 767 has the old cabin interior (overhead bin and toilets). So, it felt a bit strange.

Comment

AC 77W is better than 767 definitely.
                  I thought that AC 767s have the same lie flat seats as the 77W on the international routes and they seem to have a better configuration of 1-1-1?

Comment

Originally posted by zander View Post
                    I thought that AC 767s have the same lie flat seats as the 77W on the international routes and they seem to have a better configuration of 1-1-1?
                    I know some SQTalkers here are doing very good in helping me finding the links (My photos were for 767 NRT-YVR I think, and 777 was for SYD-YVR) . Well, here is my explanation.
                    767 on AC is old. The seats would be the same as 77W. IFE same. But the overhead bins, closets, toilets, they are part of the old seats. So it's a mix of old and new. And it doesn't match. While 77W on the other hand is a new plane. So everything looks clean and more spacious even though it is 1 - 2 - 1 configuration.

Comment

Well, here is my explanation.
                      767 on AC is old. The seats would be the same as 77W. IFE same. But the overhead bins, closets, toilets, they are part of the old seats. So it's a mix of old and new. And it doesn't match. While 77W on the other hand is a new plane. So everything looks clean and more spacious even though it is 1 - 2 - 1 configuration.
                      Okay thanks for the explanation.

Hmm I heard about special fares on AC... (Not from LHR )
                      Well AC has pulled all these fares for the time being...due to the "brillance" of some people who refuse to follow rules. Pray that it comes back but I am crossing my fingers.

Comment

I am constantly monitoring the situation and hopefully some form of Eurostar service will start soon. What are the chances?
                        I just read the following on mFT:

Originally posted by krug
                        THere was talk last Friday of services returning to normal; it is now clear that services will operate at less than 50% capacity for the next few weeks through the unaffected tunnel, but that journey times for these services will be significantly longer - up to four hours - which rather eliminates the advantage.
                        I don't know where the figure of up to 4 hours comes from ?

(All BA flights from CDG on Friday are now full. There's still availability on AF departing at 16:10 but it's £421 oneway in Y.)

Comment

I'll be free for drinks only Friday evening so I can pop over to Paddington. Has anyone decided where for drinks? There are various pubs inside the station - one on the main concourse and another on the upper level of The Lawn called the Mad Bishop and Bear which I've been in before.
                          My SQ A380 photos

Comment

I just read the following on mFT:

I don't know where the figure of up to 4 hours comes from ?

(All BA flights from CDG on Friday are now full. There's still availability on AF departing at 16:10 but it's £421 oneway in Y.)
                            I just checked the Eurostar website and the new restricted schedule shows me arriving at about 18:28. So only a 30 min delay that is if i can get on that train. Still keeping my fingers crossed.

JHM, the problem is that my train journey is from Lyon to Lille to London. I checked the AF site and its a crazy amount for a 1 way but i noticed that CDG - LHR is in business.

Comment

Originally posted by UK flyer View Post
                              I'll be free for drinks only Friday evening so I can pop over to Paddington. Has anyone decided where for drinks?
                              Not so far.

I just checked the Eurostar website and the new restricted schedule shows me arriving at about 18:28. So only a 30 min delay that is if i can get on that train. Still keeping my fingers crossed.

JHM, the problem is that my train journey is from Lyon to Lille to London. I checked the AF site and its a crazy amount for a 1 way but i noticed that CDG - LHR is in business.
                              Have you considered if the timings work and if it's possible to cancel the train ticket, flying direct from Lyon-Saint Exupéry airport (LYS) to LHR ? BA have 3 flights daily - the last flight arrives at 8pm so that won't work for your connection. As for the mid-day flight:

BA361 - Fri 19 Sep
                              LYS 11:55
                              LHR 12:40

the cost is an eye watering EUR 360 for a oneway in Y but with BA miles+cash, it's a much more reasonable 2,250 BA miles and £61.60.

Comment

Not so far.
                                Looks like it's up to you to set the pace, jhm.
                                ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Working...
                                X