LON Meet-Up with SuperJonJon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jhm View Post
    jjpb3, sure! I'll give the Four Seasons a call next week to book for the 19th at (say) 8:30pm ? 4 of us I think:
    Sounds good.

Comment

Arrghhh... every one is having fun, but me ...

Enjoy the short meet with SuperJonJon guys! And isn't it about time to welcome Savage25 as London-based SQTalker now?

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
        No, I don't think LHR has good landside facilities.

I think jhm's suggestion is best. Meet near or at Paddington (I'd seen a couple of pubs around there, and there's always the Hilton's bar), and then see SuperJonJon off to the HEX. The rest of us can head to Bayswater (I still haven't tasted that famous duck! jhm, care to do the reservations? This former Noo Yawker hates queues ). I get a proper rundown on the first NYC Do (including tips for phaleesy to say 'Noo Yawker' quasi-authentically ).

In case it wasn't clear, I'm in unless I have pressing work commitments or travel.
        That sounds like a plan, its a shame that I can't meet for dinner but just realised that I would have food on the Eurostar as well.

Now all I need is directions to the place we are going to meet from St Pancras.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperJonJon View Post
          Now all I need is directions to the place we are going to meet from St Pancras.
          Unless anyone has any other ideas, perhaps just meet by the HEX ticket office inside Paddington station at around 6:45pm ? You can get to Paddington from St Pancras by tube - 5 stops on either the Circle (yellow) or the Hammersmith & City (pink) line.

If you haven't yet bought your HEX ticket, the following NH link:

https://www.heathrowexpress.com/ana/...-1288BD663BDC}

gives you 14% off and a free upgrade to first class.

Comment

Unless anyone has any other ideas, perhaps just meet by the HEX ticket office inside Paddington station at around 6:45pm ? You can get to Paddington from St Pancras by tube - 5 stops on either the Circle (yellow) or the Hammersmith & City (pink) line.

If you haven't yet bought your HEX ticket, the following NH link:

https://www.heathrowexpress.com/ana/...-1288BD663BDC}

gives you 14% off and a free upgrade to first class.
            Thanks for the link!

Comment

Looking at my latest 10 day-Lookahead, it's 'no go' for me as I will be on call 24hrs. SuperJonJon - catch up with you in SIN. (oops - just realised I've not replied to a PM you sent. sorry too. Will revert ASAPP)

Comment

Hope this doesn't affect you tomorrow SuperJonJon:

Channel Tunnel shut after blaze

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7610919.stm

"The Channel Tunnel has been closed after a fire broke out on a freight train about seven miles from Calais.

Thirty-two people on board the train were led to safety although 14 people suffered minor injuries, including smoke inhalation.

The blaze broke out at 1400 GMT about 11km (7 miles) from the French entrance, the operator Eurotunnel said.

The blaze has been contained but all trains have been suspended and thousands of passengers are stranded."

Comment

Originally posted by nickbot View Post
                  Hope this doesn't affect you tomorrow SuperJonJon
                  Next week, so hopefully things will be back to normal (even if only a limited service) by then. There are two parallel tunnels together witha service tunnel in the middle so it depends how badly the fire damaged one of the two parallel tunnels.

Comment

Next week, so hopefully things will be back to normal (even if only a limited service) by then. There are two parallel tunnels together witha service tunnel in the middle so it depends how badly the fire damaged one of the two parallel tunnels.
                    Ahh, I'm obviously half asleep, thought the meeting was tomorrow

Comment

Channel Tunnel shut after blaze

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7610919.stm

"The Channel Tunnel has been closed after a fire broke out on a freight train about seven miles from Calais.

Thirty-two people on board the train were led to safety although 14 people suffered minor injuries, including smoke inhalation.

The blaze broke out at 1400 GMT about 11km (7 miles) from the French entrance, the operator Eurotunnel said.

The blaze has been contained but all trains have been suspended and thousands of passengers are stranded."
                      jjpb3, sure! I'll give the Four Seasons a call next week to book for the 19th at (say) 8:30pm ? 4 of us I think:

jhm
                      jjpb3
                      phaleesy
                      Savage25

but others are of course very welcome.
                      I am sure if I were SuperJonJon, with the possibility of the blaze effect, as well as the great company for dinner, I would change my flight from London to Saturday morning.

Comment

i'm supposed to be on the eurostar today for a nice weekend in Brussels with Her. sigh.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ LPP View Post
                          I am sure if I were SuperJonJon, with the possibility of the blaze effect, as well as the great company for dinner, I would change my flight from London to Saturday morning.
                          Somehow SQ LPP seems to be taking on traits of the evil CGK! I am so tempted by the dark side....the force is strong.

Comment

Hope this doesn't affect you tomorrow SuperJonJon:
                            Thanks for the concern! I also hope that things get back to normal. If not, I may have to reroute.

Does travel insurance cover this?

Comment

Originally posted by SuperJonJon View Post
                              Does travel insurance cover this?
                              It depends on the terms of your travel insurance but I'd imagine probably not.

Comment

No service today on the Eurostar. Customers are advised to wait and see for services this weekend.

I just checked BA flights CDG-LHR. Next Friday afternoon/evening, they seem to be pricing at full Y for oneway - around EUR 400-600 - and C is only a tiny bit more. Next Saturday morning, it's currently EUR 150 for a oneway in Y and increasing sharply for flights later that day.

There's - currently - BA miles award availability as follows:

Fri:

BA317
                                CDG 15:05
                                LHR 15:20

BA325
                                CDG 19:15
                                LHR 19:35

Sat:

BA303
                                CDG 7:40
                                LHR 8:00

BA305
                                CDG 9:45
                                LHR 10:05

Pricing at 4,500 BA miles plus £38.70.

SuperJonJon, if you want and don't have BA miles, I'm happy to book one of these for you (assuming there's still availability). You can pay me back the miles with satay in Singapore!

If cancelled 1 full day before departure, all the miles and cash come back (there's meant to be a £15 service charge but, from past experience, I believe this is waived for BA golds).
                                Last edited by jhm; 12 September 2008, 09:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X