No announcement yet.

State of Emergency in Bangkok

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've got a CDG-BKK-HKG on TG next week. As they say with every cloud there's a Silver (Kris hopefully) lining! - It's FIM time!

Nothing i can do about it right now... so when life throws you lemons - swap it for dom!

Comment

• Well, at least the traffic is quite good the last few days and the club was not so busy.......
      This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

• Gunnar: still all nice and cordial according to you?

BTW : I am keeping my shirt on.
        My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

• Originally posted by sqdazz View Post
          Erm, nobody had their shirts off
          Have another read, skirt not shirt

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
          Are you having a laugh ?. Of course the 'Yellows' are involved, who do you think the ex Deputy Prime Minister who is leading these protests (and who is up on a murder charge for the ending of the 'Red' protests on 10 December) represents ?!.

I totally agree that the 5 December will be key due to the birthday of you know who but the aforementioned ex DPM is due in court on a murder charge on 10 December so maybe things will stay calm until at least then.

There is not only you on this board who spends a lot of time in Thailand mate.
          Again, if you're going to quote me, quote me correctly, I said "by and large". they are not leading it from the front unlike 2008.

They're playing a bit part - supporting role - this time 'round, the Democrats (blue shirts for those aligning everyone with a coloured shirt) are the ones leading this little sojourn. The PAD (yellow shirts) are allied with the Dems and the UDD (Red Shirts) are allied to the PTP (Government).

As for the murder indictment, we'll see how long that lasts in court.

And despite the fun and games kicking off outside the RTP HQ yesterday, I can assure you, the noise couldn't be heard from the Hyatt I'll confirm again tomorrow night as I will be there again for an event.

Originally posted by sqdazz View Post
          Gunnar: still all nice and cordial according to you?

BTW : I am keeping my shirt on.
          Agree, things got a little bit hairy over the weekend and the first casualties were recorded. A fair amount of antagonism by those in Red on Saturday night resulting in the ensuing casulties. Tit for tat, eye for an eye and all that.

As for being cordial, for the most part, yes it has been. A bit of rhetoric here and there, but it's not a game of chess, you'd expect there to be a bit of noise about. As I mentioned Saturday night will be something for those on both sides of the razor wire will wish didn't happen. Yesterday there was a bit of carry on with Riot Police firing tear gas etc.

As for your choice of attire, I'm glad to see your shirt is still on, I'll defer to the above line about quoting correctly

Comment

• I don't have enough shirts in colours that don't conflict with one of the parties...

Think I'll wait til NYE before I pop in again

Comment

• Originally posted by lingua101 View Post
              according to my thai friend, it is very likely this will end before 5-dec
              None of my Thai friends have predicted anything like that but as everyone knows if nothing is resolved by then they will end on 5 December even if just temporarily due to the birthday. To be honest they're all a bit sick of all this, towards 'both sides'.

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
              I've got a CDG-BKK-HKG on TG next week. As they say with every cloud there's a Silver (Kris hopefully) lining! - It's FIM time!
              Quite.

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
              I Think I'll wait til NYE before I pop in again
              I see his promise to end it by 1 December failed, so he has now given a 48 hour deadline, presumably not wanting this to run up the birthday on the 5th.

Looking at the pictures on the news today most of the weekend party people seemed to have gone back to work. We are going Friday, unless things go seriously south. We were due there late Thursday originally but I forgot about the birthday and thus the drinks ban. With no booze in Bangkok, what's the point ?.

Comment

• Skirt ... shirt... whatever. The meaning was the same

Comment

• SQ has started to waive change fees for travel between Dec 2-8. Guess they're expecting things to improve by then?

Comment

• Originally posted by SilverChris View Post
                    SQ has started to waive change fees for travel between Dec 2-8. Guess they're expecting things to improve by then?
                    Id doubt SQ knows.

Comment

• Gents,

In the interest of keeping our clothes on (shirts, skirts, blouses and briefs).

Things (for the most part) the last 2 days has been quite the love in... Protesters hugging and high fiving police and the police allowing them to "take over" their HQ.

MAN Flyer - the Hyatt was eerily quiet last night... Spasso was the quietest I've ever seen it.

Friday will probably see a resumption of play after HM the King's birthday tomorrow.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gunnar Smithsen View Post
                        Gents,

In the interest of keeping our clothes on (shirts, skirts, blouses and briefs).

Things (for the most part) the last 2 days has been quite the love in... Protesters hugging and high fiving police and the police allowing them to "take over" their HQ.

MAN Flyer - the Hyatt was eerily quiet last night... Spasso was the quietest I've ever seen it.

Friday will probably see a resumption of play after HM the King's birthday tomorrow.
                        yes its just a big love fest.

Comment

Yeah I saw that, quite a smart move that somewhat wrong-footed them. Inevitable in view of the birthday tomorrow I suppose.

Could you even get a seat at the bar ?. May pop in Friday as I won't be alone, if you're on your own it can be hard work when you just want a drink....

Yeah be interesting to see what happens.
                          Last edited by MAN Flyer; 4 December 2013, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Gents,

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post

We have to see what the King's birthday speech is all about...... likely He will say that we are Thais and must unite, we should resolve conflicts in a calm manner.... should not fight.....

and then khun Suthep will probably say he will listen and obey what the King has commanded......

and so no one looses face over the whole thing....

chaiyot chaiyot chaiyot!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                              Yeah I saw that, quite a smart move that somewhat wrong-footed them. Inevitable in view of the birthday tomorrow I suppose.

Could you even get a seat at the bar ?. May pop in Friday as I won't be alone, if you're on your own it can be hard work when you just want a drink....

Given the timing, not surprising. Given Suthep's speech the night before, lulling them into false sense of security perhaps?

It remained all cordial and stuff until late last night when with the resumption of play the gloves were taken off. Suthep's due to make another speech giving the outline of their next move, aside from that, it's been pretty quiet on the protest front.

Spasso doesn't appeal to me, getting a seat at the bar, is always a lottery given the "residents" Bar@494 is a bit more laid back and I would dared say one of the best/longest happy hours in Bangkok!

Originally posted by kapitan View Post
                              We have to see what the King's birthday speech is all about...... likely He will say that we are Thais and must unite, we should resolve conflicts in a calm manner.... should not fight.....

and then khun Suthep will probably say he will listen and obey what the King has commanded......

and so no one looses face over the whole thing....

chaiyot chaiyot chaiyot!!!
                              Nostradamus, is that you?

Comment

Nostradamus, is that you?
                                Quoting CNA......

Protesters have no immediate plans for action on Friday and will await an "important speech" in the evening from their leader Suthep Thaugsuban about their next move, said Akanat Promphan, a spokesman for the demonstrators.
                                what will the important speech that Suthep will give???

stay tune to the nail biting instalment of "Demonstrating Bangkok"

Comment

Working...
                                X