No announcement yet.

State of Emergency in Bangkok

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well it's not a state of emergency, yet, but it's certainly getting a little chaotic over there again as certain factions attempt to get rid of yet another democratically elected Government and they have supposedly enacted the Internal Security Act, for what that's worth. There is no 'trouble' as such but they are targeting government ministries at the moment and remember it was this lot that closed BKK and DMK last time so one to keep any eye on.

Comment

• Got a trip planned for the second week of Dec. Please, please don't have a repeat of 2010

Comment

• they're both as bad as eachother. red AND yellow
        My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

• I see alot of them just joining for fun and to upload photos of themselves blowing whistles in cute poses to Facebook...

It's the 'in'-thing to do!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kyo View Post
            I see alot of them just joining for fun and to upload photos of themselves blowing whistles in cute poses to Facebook...

It's the 'in'-thing to do!!
            It seems to have been 'in' for a few years now. Wonder if it will ever go 'out'

Comment

• I am in BKK now, was at Siam Square area and hotels around there are to be avoided if you do not want to be stuck in traffic. They are camping outside the main police Hq and that section of Sukhumvit is closed.

Surprisingly, my ride from airport to Rama3 was smooth going all the way, no stoppage on the expressway at all.
              This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

• Originally posted by SilverChris View Post
                Got a trip planned for the second week of Dec. Please, please don't have a repeat of 2010
                Yeah same here! Transiting through BKK 2nd week of Dec. A friend of mine just texted me saying Thai govt announced that should the demonstrations turn very ugly they will shut down all flights to and from BKK.

is that true? Can't seem to find the news.

Comment

• Originally posted by sqdazz View Post
                  they're both as bad as eachother. red AND yellow
                  Agreed. To be fair the Red/Thaksin lot do at least regularly win elections, then they get deposed in coups by the military backed Yellow/other lot. This is just going to keep happening until at least the King is gone then anything could happen....

Originally posted by kapitan View Post
                  I am in BKK now, was at Siam Square area and hotels around there are to be avoided if you do not want to be stuck in traffic. They are camping outside the main police Hq and that section of Sukhumvit is closed.

Surprisingly, my ride from airport to Rama3 was smooth going all the way, no stoppage on the expressway at all.
                  I am supposed to be in Bangkok twice next week, starting on Sunday/Monday. I think I'll skip the first one and go to Saigon instead. Sounds like the Hyatt might be a pain to get to by road.

Comment

• Gentlemen...

Keep your skirts on... Everything has been rather cordial... A few disruptions here and there... The former Deputy Prime Minister is doing his best to interpret The Incredible Hulk but that's about it...

They're on a massive health kick it seems, they've clocked - on foot - over 50kms this week...

The Government will not impose a State of Emergency. That would spell an end to the government...

The area of most disruption is around Victory Monument, this week they split up and camped out in various Government Ministries. They're now mostly concentrated out at the Government Complex out by DMK.

But given next Thursday's significance, we're likely to see a reprieve for a couple of days.

There was a bit of quick stop through Asoke (Terminal 21 area) today before the leader of the Dems and former PM, along with former Finance Minister called in on the US Embassy for a quick chat.

All done and dusted now and they're headed back to their base, traffic's back to normal, looking at the traffic cameras.

There's a sh!tload of bias out there - even in the western based media - BBC is one of the worst... That is creating a storm in a teacup...

This isn't Red v Yellow either, the Yellows aren't involved - by and large - unlike the last couple of goes at it. But they are just as bad as each other, unfortunately but they each try each day to raise the stupidity stakes and one up each other on it.

Rajdamri's pretty much escaped from most of it, despite being opposite the Police General Hospital, the Hyatt's been pretty well business as usual as has the Four Seasons.

As for shutting down the airport? WTF... Haven't heard that one yet...

Comment

• Erm, nobody had their shirts off

Comment

• Originally posted by sqdazz View Post
                        Erm, nobody had their shirts off
                        Wait what? Oh.
                        *puts shirt back on sheepishly*

Comment

• Originally posted by Gunnar Smithsen View Post
                          the Yellows aren't involved -
                          Are you having a laugh ?. Of course the 'Yellows' are involved, who do you think the ex Deputy Prime Minister who is leading these protests (and who is up on a murder charge for the ending of the 'Red' protests on 10 December) represents ?!.

I totally agree that the 5 December will be key due to the birthday of you know who but the aforementioned ex DPM is due in court on a murder charge on 10 December so maybe things will stay calm until at least then.

There is not only you on this board who spends a lot of time in Thailand mate.

Comment

• I am seeing some rather un cordial scenes on tv tonight

Comment

• Originally posted by SilverChris View Post
                              Got a trip planned for the second week of Dec. Please, please don't have a repeat of 2010
                              according to my thai friend, it is very likely this will end before 5-dec
                              visit my blog

Comment

• Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                                There is not only you on this board who spends a lot of time in Thailand mate.
                                Ah yes, that makes sense... So therefore I'm an expert pilot because I spend a lot of time in aircraft. Of course!

Comment

Working...
                                X