State of Emergency in Bangkok

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kyo View Post
    So it has to be THB6000 all spent only at BarSu? Was thinking to combine it with dinner or something - will the promo be available on the 19th of June? Might come after LD#6
    Yes it is valid for the whole of the world cup. In Bar Su you can order from any menu of any restaurant in the hotel, you just have to sit and eat it in Bar Su.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kyo View Post
      So it has to be THB6000 all spent only at BarSu? Was thinking to combine it with dinner or something - will the promo be available on the 19th of June? Might come after LD#6
      Kyo+, you're killing me! Don't become like the other TOF rubes and ask questions that have obvious answers. Just get your ass to BarSu!
      HUGE AL

Comment

• 19th doesn't work for me anymore.

Maybe early July... maybe... don't even prefer the SGS actually, big LM fan here... but willing to sacrifice for the sake of the LARGE one...

Comment

• I got my membership to the Bar Su FDP (Frequent Drinker Programme) last night. You get one point for each 100 THB you spend. The cheapest reward is for 25 points get you 2 free drinks. The most expensive is for 300 points you get one free night in a Grande Suite plus breakfast.

Comment

• At last.....

they have finally lifted the state of emergency in Bangkok. How long it will take them to allow opposition TV stations, radio stations, websites and newspapers to reopen is another matter, but it's a start:

A state of emergency that has been in force in the Thai capital Bangkok for more than eight months is being lifted.

The special provisions were introduced during anti-government protests in Bangkok earlier this year.

They gave sweeping powers to the security forces, including the power to detain suspects for up to 30 days without charge.

More than 90 people were killed in April and May during clashes between protesters and Thai security forces.

At one stage emergency law was imposed over more than a quarter of the country but it has gradually been lifted as the security situation has improved.

Comfort zone

The government has for weeks been suggesting that the emergency law could and should be lifted in Bangkok and surrounding provinces as soon as possible.

Now the powerful Thai military appears to have agreed that the time is right.

But the Thai defence minister has suggested that things will not revert to an entirely normal situation.

The emergency decree is likely to be replaced by the Internal Security Act which still allows the security forces broad licence to detain suspects without charge, albeit for seven rather than 30 days.

The move comes as anti-government protestors appear to gaining in confidence once more.

There are now regular demonstrations in Bangkok, attracting several thousand people.

But, although they disrupt traffic, the protests have been peaceful, which is presumably why the government now feels comfortable in lifting emergency law.
            http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12047207

Comment

• hahahahahaha I was wondering why this old chestnut got revived. But seeing MAN Flyer posting, I knew there was relevance -- or a good jab at someone.

The move comes as anti-government protestors appear to gaining in confidence once more.
              Gotta love Thailand!
              HUGE AL

Comment

• Got in from BNE last night and went to the AOT limo desks and asked for a return car to the Hyatt, only to be told they cannot get to the Hyatt tonight. The closest they could get was Nana or Sala Daeng. Then it dawned on me that it was the anniversary of the clamp down when over 90 were killed. I should have known this as I was in Bangkok on Saturday and read about it.

I weighed up the options (even thought I was going to end up on the train at one point ) but then said ok I'll go for Nana and get on the BTS. As it happens when we go to Ploen Chit the traffic was still moving so I got him to get me as close as he could and I walked the rest, about 5 minutes or so.

Lots of people in red around but all seeming very good natured.

Comment

• Yeah was in town yesterday! Needless to say the Four Seasons made a fortune out of me!

CentralWorld and Isetan all shut down @ 1500 yesterday, a friend of my SO who lives behind the Hyatt had no choice but to join us for our own 'sit in' at the FS...

We left around midnight and even then there were still people in red loitering around the place...

Hopefully that will be the end of it until the elections

Comment

• Interesting times ahead. Lets hope it all happens peacefully but i wouldnt bet on it.
                    My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

• Things will get very interesting if Thaksin's sister is disqualified from running in the election...

Comment

• Is this going to go on for a bit? I'm due to arrive in BKK and stay at the Hyatt on Monday !

Me thinks I may have to go to either the Le Meridien or Westin now?

Comment

• I just arrived back in BKK this morning.

Aside from some glum faces at the airport (even the usually perky AOT ladies looked blue--and it's not just their uniforms), things look pretty normal.

However, I plan to stay clear of the Ratchaprasong area.
                          Le jour de Saint Eugène, en traversant la Calle Mayor...

Comment

• Originally posted by sqdazz View Post
                            Interesting times ahead. Lets hope it all happens peacefully but i wouldnt bet on it.
                            With the new idiot they've got in charge of the army now and they way he seems to think he has been elected to run the country himself I wouldn't bet on anything being sorted any time soon.

Originally posted by Guy Betsy View Post
                            Is this going to go on for a bit? I'm due to arrive in BKK and stay at the Hyatt on Monday !

Me thinks I may have to go to either the Le Meridien or Westin now?
                            They'd gone by midnight the same night. I went back to BKK at 0630 the next day and everything was back to normal.

Comment

• Everything's running "business" as usual here in BKK! Nothing out of the ordinary as far as I can tell...

More political posters than you can poke a stick at, and some creative graffiti as well...

But nothing overtly disturbing..

Comment

• Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                                With the new idiot they've got in charge of the army now and they way he seems to think he has been elected to run the country himself I wouldn't bet on anything being sorted any time soon.

Ive stopped caring so much now, best to just accept its always going to be stuffed.
                                My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

Working...
                                X