No announcement yet.

State of Emergency in Bangkok

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Based on the comments and the pictures, I'm guessing my end March trip to Bangkok with my wife and 2 daughters at the Peninsula should be fine?

Comment

• I think the Peninsula area isn't affected, being near the river. However, your mileage may vary. I would monitor every couple of days, or at least weekly before making the final decision.

Having said that, I would go ahead, personally. Unless things deteriorate seriously over the next couple of weeks...

Comment

• Thanks Kyo, will definitely monitor the situation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kyo View Post
          Since you asked about Asok, click here for an update
          Cheers. And point taken about their being two different threads on the subject, we'll merge them to make it easier.

I truly, honestly, think the SGS has gotten their strategy wrong this round. They should drop their rate to THB3999 (they have done this previously, in far better times, even) - and they should stop telling their Grande Club members that it's not OK to watch Tim Hedges playing jazz piano at 9pm in the evening, even if they come in a t-shirt and shorts/slippers.

Ludicrous. Rossini & BarSu also still shut.

And yes, I've only been doing that on/off for the last, oh... 7-8 bloody years?? I'll have to mention this to Mr R the next time...

I couldn't believe my ears when I heard that. As if the hotel wasn't suffering enough already. (Oh, and by the way, I have seen more guests this past weekend than the previous visit two weekends prior. One of them was also mentioning it was a shame BarSu was shut in passing...)
          Regarding the strategy, it's a catch 22 for them really. Damned if they do damned if they don't. I think it's been proved over the years that when there is trouble afoot (and let's be honest, they've had their fair share in Bangkok over the last few years) then merely dropping the rate by a few Baht doesn't make much difference. People are either prepared to 'risk it' or they're not, the price doesn't change people's thoughts. As you know the SGS has a pretty solid following who will stay there regardless.

As for the ban on people wearing slippers in the bar, I support that 100%. We don't want slipper wearing riff raff in the jazz bar of five star hotels, riots outside or not.

Comment

• I think you would have a case under the Trade Descriptions Act calling this a 'protest' at the moment. It's more of an evening social gathering. While there was a few at the gatherings at Asok (near the SGS) and near the Hyatt both 'camps' were very empty this afternoon. It does indeed appear that very few people are 'sitting it out' and instead people are coming and going all the time.

If the authorities really wanted to clear those sites they could do it in minutes as it stands. If you are not in the immediate vicinity you wouldn't even know there was a protest going on as like just goes on. Of course, like any protest things can turn quickly, especially in Thailand... I would recommend hanging around them late at night in case the grenade chuckers are out and about.

Comment

...they were all PNGs earlier, averaging around... 18-22mb each
              Who does that?!? On a forum website?!?
              HUGE AL

Comment

• Today saw the Civil Court ruling the invocation of the SoE was illegal and rules to lift it (no date given).

Anti Corruption Commission says it will charge the caretaker PM with corruption in relation to the rice pledging scheme.

3 Thai citizens lost their lives - 1 policeman and 2 protesters in clashes at a protest site.

GLAM82 being on the other side of the river will help, most of the carry on is further up the river (in terms of violent action) and the hotels around the Pen, Hilton, Oriental and Shangri La are relatively unscathed compared to their counterparts like the Grand Hyatt and the Four Seasons which are seeing awful occupancies.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gunnar Smithsen View Post
                  Today saw the Civil Court ruling the invocation of the SoE was illegal and rules to lift it (no date given).

Anti Corruption Commission says it will charge the caretaker PM with corruption in relation to the rice pledging scheme.

3 Thai citizens lost their lives - 1 policeman and 2 protesters in clashes at a protest site.

GLAM82 being on the other side of the river will help, most of the carry on is further up the river (in terms of violent action) and the hotels around the Pen, Hilton, Oriental and Shangri La are relatively unscathed compared to their counterparts like the Grand Hyatt and the Four Seasons which are seeing awful occupancies.
                  Thanks so much. That's very good to know.

Comment

• Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                    If the authorities really wanted to clear those sites they could do it in minutes as it stands.
                    Perhaps not.

Originally posted by Gunnar Smithsen View Post
                    Today saw the Civil Court ruling the invocation of the SoE was illegal and rules to lift it (no date given).

This is what I don't get. The Bangkok courts/legal authorities etc are so blatantly anti-Thaksin/Reds etc I don't know why they haven't just let them remove Yingluck, I am sure they could find a way of making her illegal for having the wrong colour hair or something.

Agree with this. On the river you wouldn't know anything about the protests, especially on the Pen/Hilton side. The Hyatt was very quiet on Sunday.

Comment

• Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                      Perhaps not.
                      Well theoretically, you're not wrong, the Government (caretaker or otherwise) does have the means to clear the protestors at will and very quickly. This was evidenced Monday and moreso yesterday: The riot squad walks up, waits, then rushes the crowd - a very simplistic description but it's the general gist of the situation.

I think what the Police didn't count on was the protesters dispersing and then returning after they (the Police) had left. Add in, that one of the protest leaders was arrested yesterday, but within less than an hour - he'd been sprung by the protesters.

Also if you see who's in charge of the show at the moment, it's all a bit too comical.

Prayuth's waiting for something and nobody knows what it is. Possibly he's willing to wait for the NACC to proceed with a criminal case (we'll find out on the 27th of Feb) against Yingluck, which then would mean she then has to step down. Potentially creating the power vacuum everyone's been looking for.

Originally posted by MAN Flyer
                      This is what I don't get. The Bangkok courts/legal authorities etc are so blatantly anti-Thaksin/Reds etc I don't know why they haven't just let them remove Yingluck, I am sure they could find a way of making her illegal for having the wrong colour hair or something.
                      The Courts still need to maintain a "veil" of impartiality, perceived or otherwise, the decisions that have gone against the Government would have, in the past, led to their disbandment. But the Courts have seemingly let the Government hang themselves - give someone enough rope and they'll do it themselves et al - but the Government cocked things up and have more than likely seen their last days as sitting MP's.

The fat lady hasn't sung yet, but Yingluck's sister has been warming...

Originally posted by MAN Flyer
                      Agree with this. On the river you wouldn't know anything about the protests, especially on the Pen/Hilton side. The Hyatt was very quiet on Sunday.
                      Strangely enough though, Police were advising to stay clear of Saphan Taksin bridge yesterday - which has seen some action early on in the protest but hadn't heard much recently - that being said, there's at least 3 alternative routes (that I can think of) that would give you quicker access coming from Swampy.

Comment

• Which ways are quicker? I'd have imagined the ring road expressway via Rama 9 and getting off near Silom would be the quickest... as opposed to Ladphrao, assuming both had no traffic jams?

I can't imagine Rama 3 + bridge being that much faster, especially when contending with city traffic. Going via Chinatown has hardly proved faster for me either...

Comment

Which ways are quicker? I'd have imagined the ring road expressway via Rama 9 and getting off near Silom would be the quickest... as opposed to Ladphrao, assuming both had no traffic jams?

I can't imagine Rama 3 + bridge being that much faster, especially when contending with city traffic. Going via Chinatown has hardly proved faster for me either...
                          Take the back way through Samut Prakhan via the expressway that takes you towards Mega Bangna / Ikea. Will take you on a seemingly round-about way, expressway is relatively light traffic wise. Get off at Suksawat and follow it all the way or get onto Rat Burana and follow that all the way.

Alternatively come via Rama 9 and over the Rama 9 bridge, exiting at Dao Khanong and onto Suksuwat. Actually no wait, that's a trap, currently doing road works on the bridge and it's a traffic snarl if coming via Rama 9, unless you're arriving outside of peak hour?

Depending what time of day as you suggest coming down off the Sirat Expressway at Silom would probably be quicker if the traffic heading towards Rama 9 bridge isn't banked up. A good taxi driver would know how to navigate the "extra" lane if required

Rama 3 would be a nightmare anytime of the day - made that mistake once!

Took me an hour to get off the exit at Dao Kanong.

Probably at the end of the day, get the hotel to pick you up from the airport, probably worth the reduce stress

Comment

• Originally posted by Gunnar Smithsen View Post
                            Probably at the end of the day, get the hotel to pick you up from the airport, probably worth the reduce stress
                            Interesting tips - I'm not a fan of Ladphrao personally and I try my darndest to avoid paying more on the meter going that way.

As for hotel pickups, I think my stance on that one's been overwhelmingly clear - that's for pansies.

Comment

As for hotel pickups, I think my stance on that one's been overwhelmingly clear - that's for pansies.
                              LOL! I think some would have similar opinion on those of us who fly on any seat but Y.

That aside, I would agree with you on the hotel pickups apart from PEK, where the taxi queue can at times be as long as their famous wall.

Comment

• I've mostly had great luck in PEK (generally taking it from the Wangfujing area), although there was once when for 15 mins me and three doormen at the Hilton Wangfujing couldn't find any taxi at approximately 10:30pm, despite covering all corners...

I freaked out and took the hotel's car instead. Cheaper, iirc, than some of the options in BKK!

Comment

Working...
                                X