No announcement yet.

Die, die, must try! -- Eating outside Singapore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some pictures from Hakkasan. Also from the Four Seasons, but I heard now the princesses and princes prefer to the one couple doors away.

Comment

• Reubens, Franschhoek in the Cape Winelands region of South Africa (about a 1 hour drive from Cape Town) - phaleesy and I originally planned to have dinner elsewhere but our plans changed so we ended up with a booking here (after a recommendation from the Westin concierge). It's a bistro and the food we had (e.g. tuna carpaccio, chilli and salt squid salad; ostrich; springbok; etc) was really good with combinations of flavours which work without being OTT. Inexpensive too, e.g. starters cost up to 70 rand (about £5). The two of us paid under £50 for 3 courses each (plus an extra dessert; two sides; water; and 2 glasses of wine). Definitely somewhere we want to go back to and well worth the drive out there!

Comment

• Ad Hoc (adhocrestaurant.com). Thomas Keller's third outlet in Yountville, Napa Valley, after French Laundry and Bouchon. He was actually dining at the next table on the night I was there.

The idea for Ad Hoc was simple - 5 days a week we'd offer a 4 course family style menu that changed each day, accompanied by a small, accessible wine list in a casual setting reminiscent of home. We wanted a place to dine for our community and ourselves.

Comment

• Eating Out in Bali

Sorry keithmel this has taken so long. Its been a long work week.

Here's the list of Bali restaurants as promised. I've been to Bali at least 11-12 times now (have lost count over the years) and the food there never ceases to amaze me. I know no one thinks of Bali as one of the food capitals of the world, but I think it's tops when it comes to variety and pricing.

There's too many places to list in different parts of Bali, so I am just going to list the places in Seminyak. For those who're going, "what huh", Seminyak is just north of Legian on the western coast of Bali. There's Kuta, Legian and then Seminyak. You get the fab beach and sunset that Kuta enjoys without the pressing crowds. Plus this is where the best shopping, nightlife and restaurants are. Note: Seminyak adjoins Kerobokan/Petingtenget and these names are sometimes used interchangeably.

The largest clutch of restaurants is along Jalan Laksmana (which goes by the moniker Eat Street) while bars and pubs are concentrated along Jalan Dhyanapura (Drink Street). In addition, there are restraurants along other streets in Seminyak (Jalan Raya Seminyak for instance).

Sorry for the lengthy preamble. Here are are some of my faves in no order of preference:

Kafe Warisan: Jalan Raya Kerobokan. tel: 0361-731175. Excellent French/Med cuisine. A bit pricey and formal but worth every cent.

Breeze: Jalan Laksmana (inside Samaya hotel). tel: 0361-732567. Fine dining Continental/French by the beach. Excellent for a romantic night out. Pricey.

Trattoria Cucina Italiana: two outlets along Jalan Laksmana. Cheap and good Italian. Amazing thin crust pizzas.

Khaima: Jalan Laksmana. Delicious kebabs and tagine dishes. Moderate.

Sate Bali: Lalan Laksmana. One the few good Indonesian/Balinese restaurants in Bali. Highly recommended if you want to try something ethnic.

Gateway of India. Jalan Dhyanapura. Cheap and good Indian food. The lamb or chicken kathi roll is an excellent starter. Go in shorts as its very casual.

The Living Room. Jalan Petitenget. Idyllic garden setting serving Continental, Med and Asian fusion dishes. On the expensive side.

Ryoshi. Jalan Laksmana. Excellent value Japanese.

La Luciolla. Jalan Jalan Petitenget. By the beach nestled under a thatched roof structure. Western/Med cusine. Used to be my favourite until the prices doubled five years ago. Its on most tourist lists of places to eat but I think there are far better places to dine. Try it if you must. Lunches are a better deal.

Ku De Ta. Jalan Laksmana. Everyone has heard of this Australian-owned bar/club and restaurant complex. Very chi chi but also very expensive by Bali standards. I prefer their more reasonably prices breakfasts and lunches. Its nicer during the day anyway as it has vantage postion of Seminyak beach.

Enjoy!

Comment

• Originally posted by planemad View Post
            Sorry keithmel this has taken so long. Its been a long work week.

Here's the list of Bali restaurants as promised. I've been to Bali at least 11-12 times now (have lost count over the years) and the food there never ceases to amaze me. I know no one thinks of Bali as one of the food capitals of the world, but I think it's tops when it comes to variety and pricing.

There's too many places to list in different parts of Bali, so I am just going to list the places in Seminyak. For those who're going, "what huh", Seminyak is just north of Legian on the western coast of Bali. There's Kuta, Legian and then Seminyak. You get the fab beach and sunset that Kuta enjoys without the pressing crowds. Plus this is where the best shopping, nightlife and restaurants are. Note: Seminyak adjoins Kerobokan/Petingtenget and these names are sometimes used interchangeably.

The largest clutch of restaurants is along Jalan Laksmana (which goes by the moniker Eat Street) while bars and pubs are concentrated along Jalan Dhyanapura (Drink Street). In addition, there are restraurants along other streets in Seminyak (Jalan Raya Seminyak for instance).

Sorry for the lengthy preamble. Here are are some of my faves in no order of preference:

Kafe Warisan: Jalan Raya Kerobokan. tel: 0361-731175. Excellent French/Med cuisine. A bit pricey and formal but worth every cent.

Breeze: Jalan Laksmana (inside Samaya hotel). tel: 0361-732567. Fine dining Continental/French by the beach. Excellent for a romantic night out. Pricey.

Trattoria Cucina Italiana: two outlets along Jalan Laksmana. Cheap and good Italian. Amazing thin crust pizzas.

Khaima: Jalan Laksmana. Delicious kebabs and tagine dishes. Moderate.

Sate Bali: Lalan Laksmana. One the few good Indonesian/Balinese restaurants in Bali. Highly recommended if you want to try something ethnic.

Gateway of India. Jalan Dhyanapura. Cheap and good Indian food. The lamb or chicken kathi roll is an excellent starter. Go in shorts as its very casual.

The Living Room. Jalan Petitenget. Idyllic garden setting serving Continental, Med and Asian fusion dishes. On the expensive side.

Ryoshi. Jalan Laksmana. Excellent value Japanese.

La Luciolla. Jalan Jalan Petitenget. By the beach nestled under a thatched roof structure. Western/Med cusine. Used to be my favourite until the prices doubled five years ago. Its on most tourist lists of places to eat but I think there are far better places to dine. Try it if you must. Lunches are a better deal.

Ku De Ta. Jalan Laksmana. Everyone has heard of this Australian-owned bar/club and restaurant complex. Very chi chi but also very expensive by Bali standards. I prefer their more reasonably prices breakfasts and lunches. Its nicer during the day anyway as it has vantage postion of Seminyak beach.

Enjoy!
            I know that you are in Bali so often. Hope you don't mind if I give you my naive opinion, or the old conservative and shy guy. Of course my opinion would not be useful for the hip and happening person like KeithMEL. Again, what I am saying here may not be valid, since I was in bali last was about 7 months ago... Things might have changed, and it's very possible.

I am not so sure what you mean by "more formal" for Kafe Warisan. I have seen Caucasians dined there with shorts and shirts/or polo shirt. Price wise, I recall it was not that more expensive than other establishments like KuDeTa. Yes, the food is great. KuDeTa is not great place to eat in my opinion. It's the place for drinks and meeting friends. Yes, I remember that when I was in Bali last time with peter11 after he stayed at Aman Resort, he was recommended by the Chef there who said that the best of quesadilla in Bali can be found at KuDeTa. And peter11 agreed with that once he tried them...

Living Room, it's a bit romantic place. But I am not that crazy about the food there. Actually, there is another place nearby that DeltaFlyingProf went and he loves it.

And I am sure, I should mention Q-Bar and the other one across the street. Perhaps it's not up to way of life of KeithMEL. Actually it will be difficult to suggest any local food for him, since he can not have spicy food, and no more seafood for him. But, it's easy to suggest where to have drinks... all over Bali. With so many different price ranges...

I am not that fond of Sate Bali. And friends said same thing. Would rather go to Warung Wardani or Warung Satrya for the real Balinese food.

Regarding LaLucciola, yes, the food there is not great, just decent. But, yes, it is one of the good places to watch the sunset while having espresso or G&T. Of course, if the weather is cooperating.

Again, Bali is for everyone. Visitors from Australia, from New Zealand, from Europe and from North America, they all have different opinion about those places. And since KeithMEL is very Australian, I must say his preference would be very different from mine, on top of his hip and happening requirement. But at least, other readers would recognize the reasonings behind all the differences.

I just hope when he is in Bali, he would have time to admire the rich culture and nature of Bali.

Comment

• Thanks for the inputs SQ LPP. Its always great to have different views, but I think we both agree that Ku de Ta and La Luciolla while hip and happening. and very ambient, arent that great for food.

A friend of mine who was in Bali recently also recomends two restaurants: Sarong and Grocer & Grind. Both quite new apparently. Ever heard of them?

Btw, where are these two Balinese warungs you recommended located? Are they street-side stalls?

Comment

• Just to add on. If its happening nightlife you're looking for, check out Ku de Ta, F Lounge, Double Six and De ja Vu, all of them in Seminyak.

You see everything is in Seminyak!

Comment

• Thanks for the fabulous advice, planemad and SQ LPP. Will deffo endeavour to check them out whilst nursing my hangovers during the day.

planemad - I am staying in Seminyak and am also meant to be near Kuta, so it seems I've got the location right.

Yeah I've had Kudeta recommended to me but as a place to drink and hang out, not eat.
                  All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

• Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
                    Thanks for the fabulous advice, planemad and SQ LPP. Will deffo endeavour to check them out whilst nursing my hangovers during the day.
                    I've just come back from a week-long trip to Bali, where we stayed at the Oberoi (our 5th stay here) in Seminyak.

I can confirm that Ku De ta is still hot and happening, but try and also catch the SOS roof-top bar at the new Anantara resort in Seminyak.

Three new great restraurants to check out in Seminyak:

Grocer & Grind: Australian-owned cafe. Casual place, great brekkies, sandwiches, coffee, also decent main courses. Cheap.

Sarong: Mixed Asian cuisine by Australian chef. Thai, Indian, Indonesian, Fusion Asian. Very very happening with chi chi crowd hanging out at the bar. You have to check it out but be sure to make reservations. It was full house on the Monday we were there. Moderate to Expensive in terms of pricing.

Blossom: Thai and Western cusine. Amazing food by Chris Patzold, an ex-chef of Ku de Ta. Trendy place. Moderate to Expensive in terms of pricing.

Huu: Bar/lounge and restaurant. Chic nightlife and dining spot (mainly fusion). Atmospheric garden setting. DJ's take over after 11pm.

Enjoy!

Comment

• I heartily second the recommendation of Sarong - food there is great. And not spicy. Didn't eat at Living Room or Ku de Ta but had much fun partying at both and met plenty of cool folks. I was staying at Elysian (fab place!) which was just next to Ku de Ta. Now I know why so many people recommend Seminyak over Kuta - Kuta was far tamer than I'd thought.

Will write more when I finally get around to updating my TR...
                      Last edited by KeithMEL; 26 July 2008, 12:04 PM.
                      All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

• Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
                        Now I know why so many people recommend Seminyak over Kuta - Kuta was far tamer than I'd thought.
                        It really depends on the individual's personality, budget, background, ethnic and many other variables. I could sense who you are (from all your travel reports and the way you travel). Thus, I could relate why you said Seminyak is recommended.
                        But for certain other groups of people, Kuta would be their choice to spend the night out. I know a group of people who would say the south of Bali is the hot place for them because they love to live in the fishing villages with minimum facilities, able to just drink local beers till time to go to bed, but they would go up so early (yes, perhaps when the time you go to bed), to surf!

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ LPP View Post
                          But for certain other groups of people, Kuta would be their choice to spend the night out.
                          Yeah, there are some things about Kuta that aren't so bad. That's the reason I'm plotting my return to Bali ... so I can explore it (some -- damn jetlag ) more.
                          Last edited by jjpb3; 27 July 2008, 03:10 PM.
                          ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

• Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                            That's the reason I'm plotting my return to Bali ...:
                            when? quando? cuando?

Comment

• Originally posted by SQFAN View Post
                              when? quando? cuando?
                              2009. Watch this space (er, forum ). (But confirmation can't really happen till really close to the date, thanks to the usual unpredictable demands from work. )

See my avatar? That's Gunung Agung, viewed from Lombok. So tantalizingly near, and yet so far ...
                              Last edited by jjpb3; 27 July 2008, 03:33 AM. Reason: more authentic :P
                              ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

• I was reading a review in yesterday's London Metro newspaper about a newly opened Malaysian restaurant called JOM Makan. The review said that it's backed by the Malaysian government. I assumed that it's subsidised by the Malaysian taxpayers (!!!) (like the Malaysia Hall canteen) but after some Googling, it seems that it's actually part of a cunning Malaysian government backed plan - the Malaysia Kitchen Program - for Malaysian restaurants to take over the world! Good news for lovers of Malaysian food!

Anyway, another place to add to the "must try one day" list! The proof of the die die will be in the eating!

Comment

Working...
                                X