Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flying With The 'kapitan'! (aka Kyo+'s Official Inaugural TG A380-800 SIN-BKK v2.0!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flying With The 'kapitan'! (aka Kyo+'s Official Inaugural TG A380-800 SIN-BKK v2.0!)

Flying With The 'kapitan'!

This week, Kyo+ returns from last week's unofficial inaugural teaser with THE REAL DEAL.

And as an added bonus, we attempted to rope in the Captain 'kapitan' himself to join the party for your reading pleasure.

For reasons only he would know, he obliged.

TG388
    Business Class (and also sort of First Class)
    Seat 17E from SIN to BKK
    06 October 2012
    Plane: A380-800

The TG Big Bird - This time, THE REAL DEAL!!

One more teaser pic as I'm just too hungry at the moment.

Profile Shot - HS-TUA!

(Edit #1: I apologise for the size as I haven't bothered to explore Photobucket's settings about resizing them to something smaller prior to/post-uploading. Sorry. Original sizes are bloody huge...

Edit #2 + 3: I've resized the photos to something more sensible, unfortunately, quality has been sacrificed - let me know if there's any recommended software that'll do this for free/fast conversion, cheers)
    Last edited by Kyo; 9 October 2012, 01:39 PM.

Love the large pics, Kyo! No need to meddle!

Comment

No pun intended. But apt rego. TUA. Big in Hokkien.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post

(I apologise for the size as I haven't bothered to explore Photobucket's settings about resizing them to something smaller prior to/post-uploading. Sorry. Original sizes are bloody huge...)
        A big bird in a big picture is alrite

Comment

These shots are from the RX100? The bokeh appears weird...unless it's the angle.

I resize via Photoshop, but believe Aperture allows you to resize groups of photos.
          HUGE AL

Comment

CarbonMan: Thanks, but I've changed it to something less awkward/bandwidth-consuming.
            SINFJ: I had a good chuckle reading that, I hadn't noticed but you're absolutely RIGHT!
            slacker: Those using tiny laptop screens may be inclined to disagree!
            Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
            These shots are from the RX100? The bokeh appears weird...unless it's the angle.

I resize via Photoshop, but believe Aperture allows you to resize groups of photos.
            It is possible to get beautiful bokeh with this camera, given time and practice.

The lens was zoomed in (to avoid the shadow from the camera's bulk), the overhead lighting wasn't ideal, and we had hit some turbulence. The first photo of the macaroons actually focuses more right between the four macaroon compartments - that's tack sharp. Took 14 shots on that but I'd purchased the RX100 barely 30 mins before the flight and hadn't had more than 5 mins familiarising myself with it in full Manual mode. The controls are different and do take awhile to figure out. It's not always crystal clear auto-focus like on the LX-5 as they want you to play with the control ring on the front - once that's done properly, stunning photos are to be had. I can attest that I shot some pictures the next day that simply wouldn't have been possible. The larger sensor also helps make out clearer images at full zoom.

Not using a Mac (and don't have PS on my work PC). I'm aware there's a Ps script that allows for resizes to be done by Photoshop 1% by 1% until the size you're after but I haven't bothered to do any deep Googling since I heard about it 2 years ago. The pics are resized with VSO Image Resizer at 100% quality, the same software I've used in the past. It won't be perfect, unfortunately.

Will continue the TR tomorrow, life just keeps getting in the way...

Comment

Originally posted by SINFJ View Post
              No pun intended. But apt rego. TUA. Big in Hokkien.
              Also known as OLD ( if you take TUA in Malay language)

Comment

I will add into the post once I got good internet connection somewhere around this world.....
                This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

Okay, apologies for the intermission. I've figured out that the culprit was Photobucket itself.

We were hungry as TG had pushed the STD from 20:40pm to 22:00 to accommodate this big bird, so we decided to start the festivities with a bit of food and drink at the SKL T3.

(Seeing as we didn't see much hoopla at check-in, we didn't expect anything much to happen at the gate either, a wise move in hindsight as nothing much did occur at the gate - more on this later)

As we left the SKL, we noticed SQ had timed TG's 388 delivery perfectly with their newest ad campaign celebrating their 5th anniversary of operating the same aircraft!

Guerilla Advertising (at its finest) - "From being the first to fly to celebrating five years of flying the A380"

Those cheeky buggers. (but fair enough)

Once again, wasn't familiar with the focusing arrangement on the 1-minute old camera, so I didn't know how to twist the front lens ring to get it crystal clear, but it wasn't for lack of trying..!

So we bolted cross-terminal - View from the SKL looking down the escalator

Boarding was at D46 on the opposite end of Changi (hate when that happens, but what's a guy to do?), so we left rather early on the off chance that there was a gate party of some sort. kapitan, meanwhile, had just arrived and informed me that there was to be a gate party after checking with the check-in agents.

Sadly, upon arriving at D46, the only 'party' we saw was this lot:

Singapore's Awesome TG388 Gate Party - 9 gate agents and a buggy

Hang on. Maybe it's happening in the holding area?

Awesome party - Not

So, it was a lacklustre performance by TG thus far. As we were on the last flight of the day, so far it appeared they hadn't made much of an attempt to commemorate the event whatsoever beyond...

Printing these flyers at the TG SIN office - "Be onboard THAI's first A380 flight to Bangkok on 6 October 2012 and receive a special gift."

Well, I was down to a hundred or so meters away from my new big bird experience on arguably my most flown flight, TG410 - so I couldn't wait any longer.

I cleared security and took a shot of the big and beautiful whalejet.

From A Distance - Big from far, far from big?

Priority boarding was being called but I could barely get clear of the ridiculously long queues waiting to board the lower deck (these were being boarded by rows from the back). Somehow I managed to make my way to the far right. All this while, I couldn't see that dashing kapitan anywhere...

Anyway, there would be plenty of time to get acquainted later. It was time for my TG 'special gift'!

Lower Deck Queue - Said Y pax thronging the entrance

I made my way past and to the side where miraculously, the sea of Y pax parted and made way for yours truly, as follows -

Priority Boarding - Now that's how you do it!

But, there was no sign of any 'special gift' that they had promised anywhere!?!

Comment

There was certainly none of these -

Funky Purple Bag - TG 388 Edition

Such illusions of grandeur were dashed quickfast.

No 'rak khun thao fah!' special duffel bag - but instead, a luggage tag.

In fact, the luggage tag is so embarassing, I seem to have deleted it from my iPhone.

I'll have to go home and take another photo and upload that sorry excuse for a 'special gift' later this evening.

Really Pathetic, TG. With a capital P.

On to the aerobridge and on to main event, then.

TG Purser - At least she was waiting for me

Nope - She was waiting for that sweet stewardess (the same one in the other inaugural TR by zilchster) instead

Okay, in we go.

Business Class on TG388 - And it's filling up fast!

17E/F - There's kapitan waiting for me!

Quick pleasantries were exchanged and then we both bolted for the F cabin to take more pictures.

Overexposed in F - Sorry guys, still didn't know which wheel to spin/button to click

Self-Portraits in F - Are a bit of a problem when you have to manually focus

I made a beeline for my preferred seat of choice

Seat 1K - Never thought I'd see the day on TG410

But here it was. Unbookable. *cries*

Row 1 - In the middle. The other rows don't matter!

IFE Working Today! - I checked

TG VIP (guy in black on the right) - He gets to fly Solo in F today

Oh well.

TG VIP got all her attention - Lucky dude, where do I sign up?

Comment

TG's Marketing Dept must have gone to China for the Oct holidays. Or it spent their entire budget on flying THAT VIP back to BKK.

Comment

Before we continue, just wanted to upload the simply AWFUL 'special gifts' TG gave out/threw away for the sake of continuity.

TG A380 Special Gifts - Awe-inspiring

TG A380 Luggage Tag - Be still my heart

TG A380 Luggage Tag Reversed - Not very useful unless you're a TG ROP member

TG A380 Playing Cards - Not For Export, guys... (say what!)

As you can see, they should have just fed us more macaroons.

Comment

We were soon about to pushback, so I returned to take in the rest of the big bird while the cabin crew (who were well aware there would be loads of enthusiasts taking photos of everything aboard) continued their preparations.

Galley - Trying not to disturb their preparation of macaroon distribution baskets

Forward J Cabin - From the A 'side' looking forward

Rear J Cabin - The 'mini' J cabin at the mid-section

Upper Deck Y - Down the back, window seats get more room

Rear Staircase - Descending from the mini-Y upper deck

Peeping into Y - Lower Deck stairwell

Rear Y Lower Deck - Looking forward from the back

The Captain was announcing for everyone to get ready for takeoff, so I quickly snapped one last shot then bolted back upstairs.

Rear Lower Deck Y Toilets - There were 3 or 4 clustered together! Plenty to go around

There are 3 toilets that are viewable in this photo. There's another one around the back, I believe.

Seated Pax - Can you spot kapitan?

Macaroons - I had to grab this off the trolley cart as they hadn't seen me seated in my seat!

They fitted nicely on the side table

Mood Lighting - Switched on as we prepare for takeoff (great showcase for the RX100 when all settings align...)

Comment

We took off in a near-silent cabin. It was unbelievable. I actually took a video which I'll have to hunt down and upload to YouTube. Quite amazing to hear the difference in sound as soon as we lift off. (Plus, you get a bonus few seconds of seeing some commentary between me and kapitan). Will upload that later.

So, we took off and it was great.

Then we waited.

And waited.

And waited some more... (you get the idea)

The seatbelt sign stayed fastened for simply ages. They must have forgotten to turn it off or something - anyway, we did have a rather bumpy flight, but it would have felt far worse in another bird/cabin. The Other Half gets nervous easily but handled this flight quite well.

Finally, cabin lights came back on. So I got busy with looking around the seat. I also got busy trying to learn how to focus this new camera... unfortunately this didn't go so great, and it focused on the IFE in the background.

Tray Table - Brought down, it's a tight fit for those more generously proportioned (but you can push it away at an angle

Noise Cancelling Headphones - I tested these; they work, but I far prefer my QC3 on-ears for a snug fit

IFE Review time.

I switched back to my own cans and went through their music selection. It's quite comprehensive - but I don't often listen to music onboard. Or even generally. I found it very acceptable.

Coldplay - Mylo Xyloto

It was at this time that the cabin crew started taking the J meal orders. I'd been skipped over on the paper menus as they'd been handed out with the macaroons (I think).

Fortunately however...

IFM - In-flight Menus are availabe in the IFE

E-Menu! - For when you lose your menu cards in-flight

Or for those who aren't seated in their seats when menu cards are handed out

Other interesting settings...

Onboard Mobile and Wi-fi - TG's version of OnAir

(This wasn't available on this flight)

Parental Controls - Great for those with little ones

E-DFS - Great for those who are used to point n click systems

Shavers - Wide range of personal care devices

By this time, the meal had arrived...

First Course - Bouillabaisse flavoured seafood aspic, Rosette of Salmon; Pernod scented mayonaisse in Cherry Tomato Cup

I've had this before, it tasted the same, but it IS one of the better appetisers and it's nicer than their diced duck breast in a red cabbage leaf.

Now, since we had three pax on board, we took one for the team and in typical Kyo+ style, ordered every main dish off the menu

What else did you expect?!

Comment

Main Course

Le Prawn - Stir-fried Prawn with Sichuan Chilli Sauce; Vegetable Fried Rice; Stir-fried Vegetables

Le Chicken - Braised Chicken with Carrot and Turnip; Tossed Egg Noodles; Stir-fried Pak-choy with Oyster Sauce

Le Fish - Fish with something (don't have menu with me)

Let's just say I'm glad I went with the chicken. Overall nothing looked awesome (at least the chicken was moist and came in generous proportions).

They had their usual yellow egg jelly dessert which I declined as I knew it wasn't that great either. kapitan also obviously knew it was better to just avoid this also.

Instead, we went for a true TG rare treat:

The Golden Box - What lies inside?!

Pralines - A380 Inaugural Edition!!!

Fooling Around (mostly in F)

After dinner, kapitan and myself decided to burn some calories by intruding into the F cabin. The crew didn't seem to mind at all.

kapitan - Like the boss he is.

I kicked him out and took over.

Kyo+ - Seat 1A!

Unbookable but never un-sit-able!

F-Lounge - We F-lounged. For a moment . Then took this photo as there was no alcohol out.

What else would we get up to?

Oh yes, of course - the F-Toilet aka Foilet!

Foilet - It's big. But LH's sleeker. SQ's warmer. EK's has a @#$@#% shower!

No win for TG in this category. BUT...

Folded Napkins - TG has folded napkins. I kid you not.

And not just one...

Comment

Working...
                              X