10 years ago - RIP SQ006

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 years ago - RIP SQ006

I'm a little early as it's still 30th October here in the UK, but I wanted to acknowledge and remember all those who lost their lives in the SQ006 tragedy in Taipei ten years ago on 31st October 2000 - May they all rest in peace

Singapore Airlines Flight 006

Just thought i would make a little post to remember those lost lives on SQ 006 that crashed 10 years ago today (Taiwan Time) at Chiang Kai-Shek Airport, Taiwan.

The Boeing 747 (9V-SPK) in tropical livery, attempted to take off on the wrong runway. It hit construction vehicles that where parked on the closed runway. Sadly 83 of the 179 people on board lost their lives, this included 4 crew members.

The flight number was immediately changed to SQ 030 then later changed to SQ 028. In 2008 the route was terminated.

Another Aircraft painted in the same promotional livery (9V-SPL), was immediately removed from service and repainted into the standard livery as a mark of respect.

This is the only incident in Singapore Airlines history that resulted in loss of life.

Im sure i can speak for everyone on here that we are thinking about those and the families of people who lost there lives that evening.

Comment

You posted this as i was typing this post

http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10344

Comment

RIP indeed

Merge thread suggested:

http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10343

Comment

Great minds think alike. RIP SQ006

Comment

RIP to those who perished in the SQ006 accident. It's just unfortunate that SQ lost one of its Tropical Megatops. I wonder when will SQ come up with another special livery...
            Such a gentle way about you / All around the world / Wouldn't go away without you / Singapore Girl, you're a great way to fly

Comment

Threads merged.

My thoughts go out to all who lost their lives on SQ006, and their families.
              All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

R.I.P. 9V-SPK, and those who lost their lives along with her!!

Comment

R.I.P. to all those involved in the crash and 9V-SPK. A tragic accident for SQ and a shame to loose the Tropical livery - the most stunning colour scheme to ever grace the sky!

Comment

I still remember the moment I first heard the incident through the radio and my jaws just dropped down like a shot put. RIP Golden Bird along with the crews & pax who suffered the worst fate that evening.
                    My Past, Present, Future Flights (Flights from March 2007 to Present to Future)

Comment

I knew a woman who was seated on the right hand side of the F section of the aircraft. Unfortunately she didn't make it in the tragedy. Her family still misses her.

I won't go into detail on how, when it was time to repatriate her body back to the UK, that SQ refused to put her distraught daughter in J class. SQ would only give Y class tickets to families going to TPE, or when repatriated bodies home. SQ refused to give J class tickets - telling people that if they want to fly in J, they will have to pay the full fare, even though some family members said they would 'top' up the diff for the chosen ones to fly in J.

In the end, my friend (and ex-client) - her daughter, flew on BA when they stepped in and gave her a ticket in J. And they had nothing to do with the incident in the first place. Many airlines in Singapore helped with the repatriation, and carriage of family members around.

SQ paid out a lot of hush money in a hurry. The rest eventually took SQ to court and they settled out of court with a gag order. Notice that SQ never mentioned this ever again. Wonder if they'll mention it today!

SQ even fired the SQ stewardess when she couldn't report back to duty after only 6 months from the accident.

Yeah, these are stuff that we don't hear about!
                      Last edited by Guy Betsy; 31 October 2010, 06:04 PM.

Comment

This is the tenth year since that fateful day where 83 people perished along with 9V-SPK . May all the victims rest in peace and may all the survivors forget this painful experience . My best regards go out to all the victim's families .

Comment

I can't believe it's 10 years ago.

Originally posted by sumitsan View Post
                          R.I.P. 9V-SPK, and those who lost their lives along with her!!
                          I would like to say RIP to the people who perished that day, those they left behind and those who were injured. I could care less about the twisted piece of metal.

Comment

Still remember that day. One of the most saddening events in my world of travels.

An article on Yahoo News here:
                            http://sg.yfittopostblog.com/2010/10...6-10-years-on/

Comment

My heart goes out to the families who lost their loved ones in that terrible incident. I'd love to hear from some of them

Originally posted by Guy Betsy View Post
                              I won't go into detail on how, when it was time to repatriate her body back to the UK, that SQ refused to put her distraught daughter in J class. SQ would only give Y class tickets to families going to TPE, or when repatriated bodies home. SQ refused to give J class tickets - telling people that if they want to fly in J, they will have to pay the full fare, even though some family members said they would 'top' up the diff for the chosen ones to fly in J.

SQ even fired the SQ stewardess when she couldn't report back to duty after only 6 months from the accident.
                              That's just plain aweful. Shame on SQ. I mean you wont even let them travel in comfort, the families of those who lost their lives in an accident that was pretty much your fault.. either way, I'd say it was a lesser fault of the TPE. The captain took the wrong runway and lost situational awareness. I'm not going to start yet another discussion on this though.

Comment

Working...
                              X