• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tragic accident indeed...
    HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
      I would like to say RIP to the people who perished that day, those they left behind and those who were injured. I could care less about the twisted piece of metal.
      +1. Thanks for putting things into perspective.
      All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Betsy View Post
        I knew a woman who was seated on the right hand side of the F section of the aircraft. Unfortunately she didn't make it in the tragedy.
        Don't want to hurt your feelings but there were five people in First Class, out which four left the plane with no injuries and only the person in 3K had minor injuries:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Sa747-400006.png

The offical report is also confirming that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singapo...nes_Flight_006

Comment

My deepest condolences to those who perished

Before this flight was terminated, was NRT-LAX on?

Comment

Originally posted by concept|infinit View Post
            My heart goes out to the families who lost their loved ones in that terrible incident. I'd love to hear from some of them

That's just plain aweful. Shame on SQ. I mean you wont even let them travel in comfort, the families of those who lost their lives in an accident that was pretty much your fault.. either way, I'd say it was a lesser fault of the TPE. The captain took the wrong runway and lost situational awareness. I'm not going to start yet another discussion on this though.
            At that time. I still remember SQ claim that was Taipei Airport authority fault !
            Anyway, there was another near miss incident with SQ29 with 9VSPB in Taipei airport few years later.

http://www.asc.gov.tw/author_files/SQ006_CHT.pdf

page 191, CM1 ignore CM2/CM3 report of PVD not functioning ......
            Last edited by cscs1956; 2 November 2010, 11:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Betsy View Post
              I knew a woman who was seated on the right hand side of the F section of the aircraft. Unfortunately she didn't make it in the tragedy. Her family still misses her.

I won't go into detail on how, when it was time to repatriate her body back to the UK, that SQ refused to put her distraught daughter in J class. SQ would only give Y class tickets to families going to TPE, or when repatriated bodies home. SQ refused to give J class tickets - telling people that if they want to fly in J, they will have to pay the full fare, even though some family members said they would 'top' up the diff for the chosen ones to fly in J.

In the end, my friend (and ex-client) - her daughter, flew on BA when they stepped in and gave her a ticket in J. And they had nothing to do with the incident in the first place. Many airlines in Singapore helped with the repatriation, and carriage of family members around.

SQ paid out a lot of hush money in a hurry. The rest eventually took SQ to court and they settled out of court with a gag order. Notice that SQ never mentioned this ever again. Wonder if they'll mention it today!

SQ even fired the SQ stewardess when she couldn't report back to duty after only 6 months from the accident.

Yeah, these are stuff that we don't hear about!
              And the Captain was fired too.

Comment

Originally posted by concept|infinit View Post
                My heart goes out to the families who lost their loved ones in that terrible incident. I'd love to hear from some of them

That's just plain aweful. Shame on SQ. I mean you wont even let them travel in comfort, the families of those who lost their lives in an accident that was pretty much your fault.. either way, I'd say it was a lesser fault of the TPE. The captain took the wrong runway and lost situational awareness. I'm not going to start yet another discussion on this though.

It would be less of a shame if you read a little more (elsewhere) and believe less about the inaccuracies often posted in this forum

No one died seated in the F section of the plane that fateful night.
                All immediate NOKs were given at least JCL seats when they were being ferried.
                Stewardess Farzana was on SQ's payroll at least for a year (medical expenses included)
                The pilots were suspended and terminated after 2 years (terminated their service in accordance with their terms of employment) following the investigative reports.

Now can we please get back to the original programme?? (with due respect to the all who have perished 10 years ago on SQ006)

Comment

Originally posted by mec View Post
                  It would be less of a shame if you read a little more (elsewhere) and believe less about the inaccuracies often posted in this forum

No one died seated in the F section of the plane that fateful night.
                  All immediate NOKs were given at least JCL seats when they were being ferried.
                  Stewardess Farzana was on SQ's payroll at least for a year (medical expenses included)
                  The pilots were suspended and terminated after 2 years (terminated their service in accordance with their terms of employment) following the investigative reports.

Now can we please get back to the original programme?? (with due respect to the all who have perished 10 years ago on SQ006)
                  Sorry it might be out of topic... but how I just wish that there is a "like" button for this reply

Comment

Originally posted by blast-off View Post
                    Sorry it might be out of topic... but how I just wish that there is a "like" button for this reply
                    +1

I just love the BS some of the "experts" seem to spread around...
                    HUGE AL

Comment

What Guy Betsy is saying may or may not be accurate/complete. However, I think the same also applies for what mec is saying, e.g.

Originally posted by mec View Post
                      Whilst remaining on SQ's payroll (including payment of medical expenses) might be true, the surviving crew were (initially at least - I don't know about what happened afterwards) certainly not happy with the way they were treated:

http://www.singapore-window.org/sw01/010425cn.htm

SQ006 crash compensation dispute angers crew

Channel News Asia
                      April 25, 2001
                      SINGAPORE
                      By Dominique Loh

SINGAPORE Airlines' decision to discontinue allowances for surviving crew members of the SQ 006 crash has upset most of them.

And although SIA on Apr 24 said the decision is pending on a medical review, some crew members say the allowances are important as it makes up nearly two-thirds of their salary.

One crew member, Farzana Abdul Razak, is recovering well six months after the crash.

But then came the letter regarding the withdrawal of allowances from next month.

She told our reporter, "Frankly my basic is S$950, after the cuts it's $750, and how am I supposed to live with that? I've got to pay for things, travel, if I was to start work, I have to travel to and fro."

The crew members feel SIA had gone back on their initial promise. [...]
                      Leaving aside the BS from all it seems, back OT ... remembering those who sadly perished on SQ006.

Comment

Ok everyone. This thread was started with the honourable intention of remembering those who sadly perished on SQ006 a decade ago. We know this subject usually arouses strong feelings about the issues surrounding it and people are free to express such thoughts, to a certain extent.

However, that line has now been reached and while we do not want to start censoring what people are allowed to say, we are now going to call a halt to any further discussion or comment on here other than what the thread was started for ; remembering the sad loss of those lives.

Thank you for your understanding.

Comment

Working...
                        X